DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
 Login/Join

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted
September 11, 2001 affected our nation in many ways. There will be many posts, tributes and discussions today about the events.

I've always been a big Alan Jackson fan. I now live in Nashiville, TN and the Grand Ol Opry is a big part of our community. Please take a moment and enjoy this performance while remembering and honoring those we lost 18 years ago.

I'll never forget my Dad calling me at home and telling me to turn on the TV. I never watched TV in the morning and neither did my parents, but like the rest of our country spent hours glued to the coverage in shock.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DragRaceResults,

Posts: 2105 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I understand what makes you a "good person" is not profiling, being racist or prejudice but I have to say every year about this time I get my hate on for every damn one of the cowardly co0ckroaches and dislike the rest that motherfucs us.
If it was up to me I'd drop a couple of nukes on them and turn to whole damn area into a glass tabletop. Problem solved......

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I was barely 21 and living at home, my mom yelled come look at this, watching the morning news. We all watched as unreal images showed on the TV. Nothing has ever been the same since. It bothers me that so many late teen and early 20's people today have no idea and think its ancient history. And aft like we should all get over it.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I remember I woke up that morning and flipped on the tv. I thought I was watching some kind of movie trailer. Then in a few minutes it hit me. This was really happening.

Just think. Till this day we are still fighting this war.

Posts: 114 | Location: ky | Registered: April 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
Just started my shift at Firehouse 5 (Wichita Ks) had the tv on in the kitchen and had walked in from checking out my rig. Watched it unfold live, when the towers went down and the sound of all the pass devices going off was horrible. I had a large number of friends with FDNY I had met over the years and trained with. My wife worked at Cessna, they had flown fighter jets in to shoot down any jets that were stolen (citation x was the fastest civilian jet at the time). We filled the rigs and locked down all firehouses. Learned later that two guys I knew well, including one of my biggest mentors Andy Fredericks had died. Sad day for sure. My oldest son was 4 at the time, he says he remembers that day and is the biggest driving factor to becoming a Marine.
RFB

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
At work when the boss told everyone to the conference room. We thought it odd at that hour of the morning as no meeting were scheduled. What I witnessed on TV made me sick. My boss lost a brother on the plane that crashed in PA. The company my son worked for was wiped out, corporate office was in one of the towers. Very sad day.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
I was on my way to work when the news broke. At first I thought it was another Orson Wells special. I hurried to work and turned on the computer to find out it was all too real.Had a terrible day.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My daughter called me from FL and said "Dad turn on the TV a plane has hit the world trade center". I turned on the TV just in time to see the second one hit. I knew right then that this was no accident. I was 25mi from the White House and across the street from BWI airport. They closed it down and the silence was errie. I remember it like it was today.

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I was at work. I had so much work I knew I wasn't going to get everything done that day that was supposed to be. I was trying to figure out which vehicles to start on, and which ones to leave for later. A customer came out in the shop and said a small plane had hit the World Trade Center. They was saying the pilot had maybe had a heart attack or something. I looked at a coworker and said "I bet that's terrorist". A few minutes later the 2nd plane hit. By 10 AM everyone had came and pickup up their vehicles and my day turned from "what am I going to not get done" into not having any work. My Wife worked at a School District Office. I when to my truck and called her on my bag phone. She said they had the district on lock down and had armed deputies at every School. We were both home early that day. I too remember it like it just happened.

I will also never forget the countries, and the people who were celebrating and dancing in the streets when this happened. Religion of peace my butt. (Sorry, it had to be said)

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I will never forget that day and never forgive the maggots who killed all those innocent people, ever!

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
I will never forget that day and never forgive the maggots who killed all those innocent people, ever!

Bob

I get it, theyre pretty disgusting, but as disgusting as maggots are they still dont deserve to be associated with muslims.

Enjoy a feel good video of our tax dollars being put to good use for once. The best part is when they try and run away....
https://youtu.be/gTLFpi0IJEo

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I was running late to work that day. It came on the news right as I was heading for the door. well I didn't open the shop that day, I watched in disbelief as did most of the country. I lived close to Indianapolis airport at the time, all of the planes in the country were grounded,that was strange. 2 of the men's names from flight 93 that was crash landed in Pennsylvania stick with me to this day. Jeremy Glick and Todd Beamer....and Thank you too all first responders!

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
awesome video ^^^run you mfer's

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I was at work and I wear radio headphones most of the time. I heard about the first one and then went into break room and turned on TV and saw the second one hit live.

I will never forget and I will never forgive the piles of **** that did it. May the rot in He!!

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
I was at work, and my friend across the aisle said she'd heard a plane hit the WTC. We tried getting on the internet to find out information, thinking that it was like a Cessna type small plane. About the entire company was doing the same thing, because bandwith was gone. News spread, and we gathered around one of the TVs used for presentations, and watched the towers fall, and found out about the Pentagon and Flight 93. I remember every minute of the day.

The Alan Jackson song dropped me to my knees when I heard it the first time, with everything still being raw when it came out. "Did you call up your mother, and tell her you loved her" really got me, because I did call home before I left the office.

I remember all the posters being taped to the light poles, walls, and fences around WTC, as their loved ones hoped against hope that they survived.

I was one of the last to leave our floor, and as I made my way to the bus stop, I get a call on my cell. It was NHRA Glendora, getting some information correct about my buddy's license application that I had faxed for him that morning. It was surreal to get that call, and I wondered how they could not have heard the news there, 3 hour time difference or not.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Pittsburgh band The Clarks, the lyrics for this are poignant also.

The Clarks Hey You

If your gonna jump, hey you hang on
If you feel like giving up, hey you hang on
Won't forget today sun is bright, sky is blue yeah
The pain will go away in another year or two
If you got a phone, hey you call home
If you got a voice, hey you rejoice
Won't forget today sun is bright, sky is blue yeah
Won't forget to pray day is night, world is new yeah
Pain will go away in another year or two
In a hundred years or two
If your gonna fly, hey you don't cry
You gotta live to die, hey you goodbye
Won't forget today sun is bright, sky in blue yeah
Won't forget to pray day is night world is new yeah
Pain will go away in another year or two
In a hundred years or two
...In a thousand years or two

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I was at work. The guy that was running the office at the time came over on my side and he said "A plane just flew into one of the world trade centers". I went into the office and was watching the news for about 10 minutes. Then went back to my side. Wasn't too long until he came back and told me another plane flew into the other trade center. So, I go in the office and started watching the news again. Stayed for a bit then went back over to work on a car.

Then he came back over later and said a plane hit the Pentagon. I went back over to the office to watch the news for a bit. I finally went back over and started working on that same car.

Wasn't to too long after that a man that I have worked on his s10 before came into the shop. He was asking question about his truck. And I asked him if he heard the news. He said "what news" and I begin to tell him about what happened. When I got to the plane that hit the pentagon, he said "I have a son at the pentagon". I said go in the office and watch the news.

He stayed in there for a long time watching. The news team at the pentagon finally interviewed a woman and a man. The man was his son. He was so much relieved then.

Posts: 26 | Location: sw Ohio | Registered: August 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post