DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Credit Card Purchase??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Credit Card Purchase??
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Am I setting myself up by selling a racecar to somebody with a credit card? Can they reverse the transaction afterwards? Says he wants a paper trail. The phone "negotiation" seemed reasonably legit.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Not in this age----to many ways to lose your a$$ on that. Cash at pick up. I sold a couple of cars over seas and had the funds wire transferred and converted to cash where I picked up the transfer. Keep your butt covered

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I would not , I have sold several cars over the net ,I only do bank to bank transfer.Why does he want a paper trail. does it not have a title?

Posts: 30 | Location: Southwest IOWA | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Dragster. I wonder if maybe he's a broker or something.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Tell him to leave a trail of $100 bills to your bank account, “paper trail”.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Wire will have a paper trail also. No chance I would do a credit card deal.

Posts: 7 | Location: tea sd | Registered: January 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
As everyone else said NO WAY!! Cash or bank to bank wire transfer is king when selling a race car

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Cash or transfer period.. In general why would anyone make a statement like that,"I Want to leave a paper trail" Real ODD.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I had a customer claim he did not authorize a $3400.00 credit card sale almost 6 months after we delivered the parts to the shop working on his car. I had a signed authorization form & copies of his ID but the bank still sided with the customer and stuck me for the charge (it was a phone order so the chip was not read). What if the guy blows the car up or crashes it and disputes the charge? Try explaining how the race car world works to a representative with a thick accent at a call center 4,000 miles away. Wire transfer or cash only - no way I'd take a card if I was you.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 629 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Not sure I trust the wire thing totally. Cash in hand is harder to get back,just ask my friends Smith and Wesson.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
FWIW - I work at an Exotic Car dealer and we routinely get wire transfers for hundreds of thousands of dollars. It is probably the safest way to accept money and the buyer will have the proof he is after (assuming that is really what he wants and is not planning on reversing the charge).

Posts: 629 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Tell him to take a cash advance on the card, deposit the money into his checking/savings account and then do a bank to bank wire transfer for the sale amount. You may pay a $15 or $20 fee for the transfer but once it hits, it is the same as cash in hand and cannot be taken back or disputed.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Pinkerton:
Tell him to take a cash advance on the card, deposit the money into his checking/savings account and then do a bank to bank wire transfer for the sale amount. You may pay a $15 or $20 fee for the transfer but once it hits, it is the same as cash in hand and cannot be taken back or disputed.

Cash advances are usually a way higher interest rate - the guy is either trying to scam or earn a ton of frequent flyer miles or award points.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If buyer uses an awards type card it will cost you a 3 to 5 percent fee also.

Posts: 46 | Location: in the lab | Registered: May 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Pinkerton:

Cash advances are usually a way higher interest rate - the guy is either trying to scam or earn a ton of frequent flyer miles or award points.

Exactly!!! If he is serious, he will have his bank do the advance and deposit to his account. If he is a scammer, he walks away.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post