DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    NHRA super gas/super comp 8.90/7.90 for 2022
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NHRA super gas/super comp 8.90/7.90 for 2022
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
don't shoot the messenger but a very reliable source says its on the table in Glendora ca...nhra super gas/super comp may go to 8.90/7.90 for 2022

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Many say it is over-do.

Many will fight it.

I say create a 7.50 index. A good place for the really fast S/C cars, and a place for TD/TS cars that can't get in the field.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I say create a 7.50 index. A good place for the really fast S/C cars, and a place for TD/TS cars that can't get in the field. Posts: 174 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013

that's actually some great thinking!!

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Adding a class is probably not gonna happen so it would mean the 7.50 class would eliminate someone else....

That is a good idea though...

I really don't care one way or the other myself. I'd run any number they throw out there if I am still racing !

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Rich
You are likely 100% correct.
If this becomes the new numbers, my engine upgrade is good timing, as the old soft 540 only runs 8.00s in good air.

It did what we wanted it to do for 14 years, moving on and moving up. And yes it is about time. LOL

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I doubt that very much. Why would NHRA want more exposure ( LIABILITY) than they already have. So you are saying Super Street will go to 9.90. It won't happen. My opinion.

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1004 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Has participation been an issue in these classes recently?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
This should have been done at least 20 years ago. I would go a step further and make Super Comp at 7.50. There would still be a ton of cars for the class.

Posts: 40 | Location: East TN | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sst5167
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by consistent spin:
This should have been done at least 20 years ago. I would go a step further and make Super Comp at 7.50. There would still be a ton of cars for the class.

What happens to the cars that can't go 7.50? There are a lot of them. Where do they go race now? I don't see this being a good thing. The risk vs reward is to high. What exactly do we benefit from lowering the indexes? Sure, some think it will make the races appear closer. It wouldn't take long for the guys with deep pockets start going 7.50 @ 240 mph. You will without a doubt lose a good percentage of your cars in each class. I see high risk (losing participation), and very low reward.

Mike Boehner

Posts: 92 | Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ | Registered: January 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
What would be the purpose of doing this? Is it just because people want to go quicker? Or is it to tighten the difference in MPH in the field? Seems like it will price out some of the slower cars.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
What happens to the cars that can't go 7.50? There are a lot of them. Where do they go race now? I don't see this being a good thing. The risk vs reward is to high. What exactly do we benefit from lowering the indexes? Sure, some think it will make the races appear closer. It wouldn't take long for the guys with deep pockets start going 7.50 @ 240 mph. You will without a doubt lose a good percentage of your cars in each class. I see high risk (losing participation), and very low reward.

BINGO

7.90 is a big jump
7.50 is a huge jump

My previous post suggested adding a 7.50 index. Not likely to happen, adding a class, but would be good, IMHO.

As far as keeping cars closer, speed limits have been suggested many times over the years. That kills business at the engine shops.

As a long time S/C racer who raced with a 160 MPH car, I agree with the notion it will lock out a number of racers at 7.90 and a bunch at 7.50.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Has participation been an issue in these classes recently?

Depends on what era you are comparing car counts to and what events....

Quotas at national events are low and fill up quickly at some events, not others but generally are filled.

Division races, some have real good car counts others not as good.

Compared to late 80's or early 90's …Car counts are nowhere near what they once were at many events.....

I can recall 140 cars in S/C at a Division race at Etown……..and most races had around 80-100 cars.

Today 80 is a big turnout in S/C for a Div.1 race....

The highest S/G car counts were at Indy in the mid 1980's before S/C was run there..... about 220-240 cars one year, I was there.....1984 or 1985....

The last couple years I think car counts are up overall in the .90 classes even with more categories like T/D and T/S....

I know guys who have a S/G car and a T/S car and also guys who run both S/C and T/D.....not many but a couple.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Yeager
posted Hide Post
I'm sure they just want to make the classes faster for the 6 spectators that actually watch sportsman. I'd guess only a handful of cars would not be able to run the classes with new indexes. A 7.50 class would put some cars out of certification if they breakout. (see: TD/ & T/S)

I doubt they'll change it.

Mark Yeager

Posts: 1380 | Location: Hollister,CA | Registered: April 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I've run under 7.50 a few times during eliminations and Time runs...

Always dialed no quicker than 7.50 and have no Adv. ET license...car is fine with a 6.0 cert.

Bracket racing at Etown….Nobody said a word....

I was not trying to run sub 7.50 but my car wanted to.....LOL

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I respect those that do not agree with S/C being changed to 7.90 and/or S/G being lowered to 8.90 personally I really don’t have a problem with the Indexes being quicker. A vast majority of the cars currently in these classes are fast enough to cover the quicker index changes, those that can’t would quickly get there . Do I think NHRA will make the changes, I seriously doubt that NHRA will change anything , I’ve heard this discussed for more than 20 years and they are still 8.90 and 9.90. There is a better possibility that they would change them to 8.50 and 9.50. HOWEVER a word of caution, be careful what you wish for, those quicker index changes could include a whole new set of SFI safety and/or equipment changes. The last part I CAN see happening.

This is a topic I expected to read on April 1st, along with a story that John Force is buying land on Mars and opening a drag strip, or that (better still) The NHRA is lowering entry fees.

Bob

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
7.90 Super Eliminator [SE] was a class run in Div. 7 many years ago.

Lots of good racing!

Posts: 413 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
If NHRA had half an ounce of brains they would cancel the stuper classes and bring back Modified Production.

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Many of you will hate this but I would say 7.90 is good but eliminate all timed stops. Use ignition, restrictor plates, pedal stop, weigh or what ever but eliminate electronic timed throttle stops.

Even for Super Street 9.90 I do not think there are many if any cars running 10.90 that could not easily run 9.90. I bet most of the cars running Super Comp right now could easily run 7.00 with no problem. 7.90 certainly would not be hard to do with no other changes than throttle stop setting.

I certainly do not mean for that to disrespect any Super Comp racers because I think that is one of toughest classes to run but I have no desire to run or watch it like it is.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3985 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Same bulllsheet different year from internet warriors . No changes coming . All the whiny super class hater beotches will get their own class with no entry , trophies for everybody and Vaseline for pit parties .

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Wow 68TSCamaro you have a way with words. I like it....

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1004 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post