DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    NHRA super gas/super comp 8.90/7.90 for 2022
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NHRA super gas/super comp 8.90/7.90 for 2022
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If NHRA starts a 7.90 or 7.50 class I'll start racing with them again. If they don't, I'll just continue to ignore them. Just like they don't give a crap about me.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4447 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Lets be real about this...Isn't every sportsman class at a NHRA national event that uses an index or dial-in essentially bracket racing? Once in a blue moon you have a heads up in stock or super stock...but not a casual fan knows that when it happens.

Absolutely you are right. If it isn't heads up, to me it is bracket racing.
But saying that, why do we need to combine all bracket races? And why do spectators keep coming up? Bracket racing isn't about entertaining spectators. It's about racing.

They all don't need to be combined...Keep the competition closer
11.00 - 10.00
10.00 - 9.00
9.00 - 8.00
8.00 - 7.00
7.00 - 6.00

Covers everything from Super Street to Top Dragster

Want to go fast be in the fast class.
Want to go faster move up a class.
You can throttle stop it to where the car works best, or to the class you want to be in.
Everyone in a certain class will have a similar investment
A car that is close to the break can chose what class they want to be in (fastest or slowest in the class)
If by chance a spectator shows up...They can understand the class breaks.
Some of the betting folks will have a really good time

Of course I am talking about national and divisional events only. Will be a break from a normal bracket racing weekend for a wide variety or racers.

Winter boredom kicking in

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1217 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
NhRA is going to buy backs in all the super classes so the same spectators that watch the endless rounds of bracket racing buybacks will have the same opportunity at division and national events . Also bracket racers will get 20 grade points to enter any national event just so they can bytch over classes they don't compete in . Also all whiners will be forced to vote liberal in 2020 . Now get a clue ain't nutyin changing girls .....

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Lol,68tscamaro,sounds almost like you and Boucher could be brothers or something.

Posts: 486 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Cant believe this s--t is still getting beat to death.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
So they ask our opinion about the Super classes and then get upset when we give our Honest opinion?

The very first time I saw the cars hit the light then high idle down track for a while and then run my thought was. "WTF? Stupid" My opinion on that remains the same after all these years. If you like it that is your opinion and you to are entitled to it and I can respect that even if I disagree.

If you do not want to hear the answer do not ask the question.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3973 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
So they ask our opinion about the Super classes and then get upset when we give our Honest opinion?

The very first time I saw the cars hit the light then high idle down track for a while and then run my thought was. "WTF? Stupid" My opinion on that remains the same after all these years. If you like it that is your opinion and you to are entitled to it and I can respect that even if I disagree.

If you do not want to hear the answer do not ask the question.

Who is "they"?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6367 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
'They" is the most quoted entity in the world when one can't come up with a cogent thought or argument.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
count me in with those that think all the throttle stop classes should have their indexes lowered by 1 second. For Christs sake, its 2020 and many in SST along with most in SG and SC are killing well over a second now. some 2 seconds+ only to have to kill even more in the years to come. Regardless of the index, those that are dominating now will continue to dominate if/when the indexes are lower.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ed, your last sentence is spot on!!!

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
When you are on the stop for four or five seconds at 4000 rpm it's telling you that it's time to lower the indexes. I would agree that SST could be lowered to 10.50 (keep it a .500 Pro Tree) but the other classes should go a full second. Ed is right, this is 2020, look at the types of cars and motor sizes in SG and SC. There are Stockers running in the mid nines (and faster) and you can't cover a full second drop in the index??????

Bob

Posts: 3075 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
When you are on the stop for four or five seconds at 4000 rpm it's telling you that it's time to lower the indexes. I would agree that SST could be lowered to 10.50 (keep it a .500 Pro Tree) but the other classes should go a full second. Ed is right, this is 2020, look at the types of cars and motor sizes in SG and SC. There are Stockers running in the mid nines (and faster) and you can't cover a full second drop in the index??????

Bob

How anyone runs their entry and how fast of a car they build for a class is up to them. Now, if the overwhelming majority of participants think the class should be faster, then right there is the reason to change. If the participation in the classes is waning, right there is a reason to change. I could not care less about how much cars are killing with the stop. That's not my concern. Why others are concerned about it, I don't know.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6367 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:

Bob

I think.... Most (some)of those SST are mild steel cars and have no desire to step up. Plus cost associated.. And I agree, don't think its gonna happen.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Since I don't have a dog in this fight take this for what its worth.....If your car is fast enough to run the next class why not quit torturing your stuff and move on up? My friends S/G car runs about 170 mph and claims to need the mph to compete as everyone else is about the same. To me it looks like someone needs to do something.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Fern it’s nhra’s fault that the racers built bigger motors

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TD5023
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Since I don't have a dog in this fight take this for what its worth.....If your car is fast enough to run the next class why not quit torturing your stuff and move on up? My friends S/G car runs about 170 mph and claims to need the mph to compete as everyone else is about the same. To me it looks like someone needs to do something.

Once the stops are off, though, it's no different from any other bracket race. There is a wide range of speeds in regular Super Pro. Trapping in the 200's, I've run against guys 30-40 mph faster than me. It's nice being the faster car, but it's not necessary to win (just ask Tim Nicholson).

Regarding the first part of your post, aside from the index differences, there are other reasons to stay put. Super Comp and Super Gas are treated equally in terms of prestige and payout, so why put yourself at even a mild disadvantage by being a doorcar/roadster in a dragster-dominated class (unless you have something to prove)? Super Street has always been a tier lower than the other two and that's not changing. However, it's a perfect fit for someone with a heavy car that doesn't care about national points (or divisional points for the more local runners), even if the car is capable of 9.90. If the idea is to move out of these classes entirely and look into TD or TS, a lot of racers like pro tree, heads-up starts and all-run fields. They can't get that anywhere else without going to true heads-up, no-breakout classes, which many don't want to do. Basically, the super classes fill a niche that nothing else can match.

Racers like to go fast, so they made cars that will top end better even if the ET doesn't change. The only thing that would change is how long they're on the stop, which is trivial. And I'm not even going to get into the spectator side of things, because... yeah. Like Bucky keeps saying, these serve their purpose well and until they appear to be suffering disproportionately to the state of racing as a whole, don't fix what isn't broken.

Posts: 33 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: April 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Why stop at 7.90 super comp and 8.90 super gas? What they really should do is make super comp 6.90 and super gas 7.90.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by I.P. Dailey:
Fern it’s nhra’s fault that the racers built bigger motors

This should be good...Why is it NHRA's fault?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4447 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sst5167
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
Why stop at 7.90 super comp and 8.90 super gas? What they really should do is make super comp 6.90 and super gas 7.90.

I'd be willing to bet that would eliminate 75% of the participants. Both of our cars are on the upper half of the mph average, but wouldn't be able to run those numbers. And for the money we get to win a NHRA race, I can guarantee you I'm not building new engines to keep up. At that point, we'll become bracket racers chasing big checks.

Mike Boehner

Posts: 92 | Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ | Registered: January 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
I say leave SST alone and make it a mechanical stop only. That way it leaves a spot for those who are happy, and those that can't afford a lot of race car. We raced SST with a bolt limiting throttle for a while. I works.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post