DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    NHRA super gas/super comp 8.90/7.90 for 2022
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NHRA super gas/super comp 8.90/7.90 for 2022
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
Same bulllsheet different year from internet warriors . No changes coming . All the whiny super class hater beotches will get their own class with no entry , trophies for everybody and Vaseline for pit parties .
clapping

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many of you will hate this but I would say 7.90 is good but eliminate all timed stops. Use ignition, restrictor plates, pedal stop, weigh or what ever but eliminate electronic timed throttle stops.

Even for Super Street 9.90 I do not think there are many if any cars running 10.90 that could not easily run 9.90. I bet most of the cars running Super Comp right now could easily run 7.00 with no problem. 7.90 certainly would not be hard to do with no other changes than throttle stop setting.

I certainly do not mean for that to disrespect any Super Comp racers because I think that is one of toughest classes to run but I have no desire to run or watch it like it is.

Curly - I think your right on = No Throttle Stops - Lower the index a full second except for Super Street, make that 10.10 so they don't have to have an ET license and less certs so the price of entry is lower. Make Super Gas a run what you brung class so Altered's could run, no pipe racks 125" wheel base max. Those changes would double the entrants and spectators would love to watch. IMHO

If you took away throttle stops there are lots of cars that would step up and run those classes

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quick Dawg:
quote:
Many of you will hate this but I would say 7.90 is good but eliminate all timed stops. Use ignition, restrictor plates, pedal stop, weigh or what ever but eliminate electronic timed throttle stops.

Even for Super Street 9.90 I do not think there are many if any cars running 10.90 that could not easily run 9.90. I bet most of the cars running Super Comp right now could easily run 7.00 with no problem. 7.90 certainly would not be hard to do with no other changes than throttle stop setting.

I certainly do not mean for that to disrespect any Super Comp racers because I think that is one of toughest classes to run but I have no desire to run or watch it like it is.

Curly - I think your right on = No Throttle Stops - Lower the index a full second except for Super Street, make that 10.10 so they don't have to have an ET license and less certs so the price of entry is lower. Make Super Gas a run what you brung class so Altered's could run, no pipe racks 125" wheel base max. Those changes would double the entrants and spectators would love to watch. IMHO

If you took away throttle stops there are lots of cars that would step up and run those classes

So what you are saying is that by making a class more complicated to run, the participation will double. Did I get that right? The guys who run their pipe racks in regular bracket races and turn the stop on to run in super comp will.....make their car specifically to run super comp, and run it that way in brackets too, where they will run slower than they probably would normally. Why not take away the delay boxes and discourage them from running it all together? Or maybe what we want folks to do is change their setups over to efi and control ignition and fuel to slow their cars down instead of a simple throttle stop? That will certainly make it more complicated. The unintended consequences of what is being suggested here could be devastating. The classes have good participation and don't need fixing. Very few who are suggesting the changes actually run it now. What kind of evidence do you have that what you are suggesting would increase and not decrease participation? Would you bet your classes that are working well on your hunch?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
nobody watches any sportsman racing, moving the index will not change that, I have raced all 3 super classes since the beginning and the sport is ageing out, no new blood due to cost, nobody cares about us just the nitro blowup cars and john force, leave the classes alone.

Posts: 17 | Location: Kinderhook, N.Y., USA. | Registered: February 07, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That is my thoughts, I think spectators and racers both would increase big time very quickly. Problem is those who are set up to run as it is do not want change. I understand that but no need for name calling and getting butthurt. NHRA does not care what us or anyone else likes any way so all of this discussion is a waste of time.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:
quote:

That is my thoughts, I think spectators and racers both would increase big time very quickly. Problem is those who are set up to run as it is do not want change. I understand that but no need for name calling and getting butthurt. NHRA does not care what us or anyone else likes any way so all of this discussion is a waste of time.

Because spectators flock to see regular bracket racing where no throttle stops are used?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bradsc1954
posted Hide Post
I do not think NHRA will make a change. With that said. I do not understand why anyone would want to change what I consider one of the 2 entry classes.

If you don't have to have the latest and greatest, super comp is probably one of the most economical classes to get into. The prices of used cars is not that bad. You can build a 468 with a roller cam that will run 8.0 without a stop and be competitive. There is still a lot of low to mid 8 second cars going rounds.

Posts: 133 | Location: Weare NH USA | Registered: July 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Gerard:
7.90 Super Eliminator [SE] was a class run in Div. 7 many years ago.

Lots of good racing!

S/E was the most fun I had racing except maybe Comp.....miss it still
I know if S/C went to 7.90 or 7.50 I'd be the first in line when the gates opened...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:
Originally posted by David Gerard:
7.90 Super Eliminator [SE] was a class run in Div. 7 many years ago.

Lots of good racing!

S/E was the most fun I had racing except maybe Comp.....miss it still
I know if S/C went to 7.90 or 7.50 I'd be the first in line when the gates opened...

Why did you stop racing Comp?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
He probably stopped racing comp for the same reason I and a bunch of others did. Lack of funds! LOL

For the record I would love to see S/C go to 7.90

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of regional series that offer 6.0, 6.50, and/or 7.0 index classes (1/8th mile), usually with no throttle stop. As much as I like the ideas (I ran 7.0 a couple of times back when my car was a Stocker), cars are not flocking to these classes in large numbers.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5731 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If NHRA lowered SST, SG & SC a second it would put a financial burden on all the categories. I run SG which 8.90 would not be a problem. But I also occasionally run SST. My SST car weighs 3,050 pounds and maybe on a good cool day it will run 10.10. For me to run any faster I would have to spend more $$$. I would quit SST as well as lots of other SST racers. So my point is, that if you SC racers want to go faster then run TD. Hopefully NHRA will leave the classes alone as they have since 1983.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Larry Scarth,

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1009 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what you are saying is that by making a class more complicated to run, the participation will double. Did I get that right? The guys who run their pipe racks in regular bracket races and turn the stop on to run in super comp will.....make their car specifically to run super comp, and run it that way in brackets too, where they will run slower than they probably would normally. Why not take away the delay boxes and discourage them from running it all together? Or maybe what we want folks to do is change their setups over to efi and control ignition and fuel to slow their cars down instead of a simple throttle stop? That will certainly make it more complicated. The unintended consequences of what is being suggested here could be devastating. The classes have good participation and don't need fixing. Very few who are suggesting the changes actually run it now. What kind of evidence do you have that what you are suggesting would increase and not decrease participation? Would you bet your classes that are working well on your hunch?

Bucky – I do think you have it all wrong. It will make it less complicated. If you want to run fast brackets, I.E. you have a 7.5 car that can run faster, slowing it down a bit to run the index isn’t all that hard except for perhaps blower cars which won’t want to run that index but will prefer to run TD. As for the EFI, it is the coming thing and will happen across the board quicker that you think. I know it is something I am exploring and trying to learn enough about so I am comfortable switching. The evidence I have regarding increased participation is the number of bracket racers like my self capable of running low 8’s that don’t want to be sitting ducks at the big end for 180MPH cars, (we have plenty of experience at that with 7.25 dragsters in the brackets) and just don’t like the throttle stop thing. If we would like to try doing the TS thing we would have to gain experience doing it in our local bracket races just adding another variable reducing our chances of winning. I have a plate system under my carb that I can very easily slow my car down to 9.0 to run Pro or Nostalgia if I take the electronics out. If I didn’t have to control a TS I wouldn’t even need the box. You can cut consistent lights without it. Yes many more people would play, and in the long run it would be less complicated. If it was a big success, I would bet local tracks would start running those index’s and perhaps brackets would go away and spectator count at local tracks would go up also. Just my humble opinion Sir.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Scarth:
If NHRA lowered SST, SG & SC a second it would put a financial burden on all the categories. I run SG which 8.90 would not be a problem. But I also occasionally run SST. My SST car weighs 3,050 pounds and maybe on a good cool day it will run 10.10. For me to run any faster I would have to spend more $$$. I would quit SST as well as lots of other SST racers. So my point is, that if you SC racers want to go faster then run TD. Hopefully NHRA will leave the classes alone as they have since 1983.

I disagree it would be a financial burden. I do not know of one single car, NOT ONE that currently runs 8.90 Super Comp that can not run 7.90 AS IS. Now maybe in SST but certainly not in Comp or Gas. Now if they wanted to may be a different story but in Comp and Gas every one of them could easily go one second faster.

I still think timed throttle stops are killing the sport.

Drag racing is heads up first guy to finish line wins and that is exciting to watch. You can see who gets the better light and usually tell who wins so heads up racing is always more fun to watch. Bracket racing does not give you that and never will. No way that I know of that can make a bracket race more interesting to watch, wish there was.

Index racing was set up to make it like a heads up race more exciting to watch and be cheaper to race, hopefully more people run it. Once again I think timed throttle stops ruined that. I do not think Super Comp cars running 220 MPH is a good thing and certainly not cheap. Eliminate timed stops and all MPH will be much closer and cheaper to race. Competition would still be brutally tough just as it is right now and spectators would enjoy watching it more.

Just my opinion and there is no need to get upset if you do not like my opinion because nothing is going to change anyway.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still think timed throttle stops are killing the sport.

There we have it. Throttle stops are killing bracket racing. LOL.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I disagree it would be a financial burden. I do not know of one single car, NOT ONE that currently runs 8.90 Super Comp that can not run 7.90 AS IS. Now maybe in SST but certainly not in Comp or Gas. Now if they wanted to may be a different story but in Comp and Gas every one of them could easily go one second faster. I still think timed throttle stops are killing the sport.

Well, now you know one.
Just finished ten years of running S/C in a 160 MPH car that runs 8.00s in good air WFO.

In the process of fixing that.

As far as THROTTLE STOPS killing the sport, the TOPEKA divisional must be really dead.

160-180 in S/C

OVER 100 in S/G and SST.

But, as a 160 car, it is a real treat to get beside one that only goes 159.
And I am not kidding!!!

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sst5167:
quote:
Originally posted by consistent spin:
This should have been done at least 20 years ago. I would go a step further and make Super Comp at 7.50. There would still be a ton of cars for the class.

What happens to the cars that can't go 7.50? There are a lot of them. Where do they go race now? I don't see this being a good thing. The risk vs reward is to high. What exactly do we benefit from lowering the indexes? Sure, some think it will make the races appear closer. It wouldn't take long for the guys with deep pockets start going 7.50 @ 240 mph. You will without a doubt lose a good percentage of your cars in each class. I see high risk (losing participation), and very low reward.

What Mike said, IMO if they wanted to change something they should up the purse in each class.

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What kind of money can a guy expect to make winning a divisional or national event with contingency these days? Even rampy is going bracket racing next year

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
68TSCAMARO had it right.

From my understanding NHRA will NOT change one thing about these classes because they WORK. Always filled, close racing, and they don't pay very much.

I love the classes for the tight racing and helpful sportsman racers. If you have a problem with something 35 racers will be at your pit in an instant with parts or help. Doesn't get any better than that.

If they would increase the purse that would be even better, but since pigs don't fly...

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post