New
Find
Notify
Tools

Junk XS Charger
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Does anybody know anybody at XS batteries that isn’t a complete moron?

According to Antonio 3 years is too long for us to expect a battery or charger to last?

Also, the charger won’t work worth a **** on either of 2 batteries, my other charger works fine on both batteries, but it’s OBVIOUS that my battery is junk. Two Thumbs down

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Does your charger have switch to use it on 12 volts? If so I would give that a try one a 12 volt battery of course just to see if it works in that function.
Does it do anything at all such as light up?

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of novaX522
posted Hide Post
I had similar experience with XS 16V battery and charger. I still use the charger, but on 12V stuff now.

Rob Livingston

Posts: 176 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It winds straight up to 25 amps and stays there. It will go to 21 volts if I’m not watching it. I’ve managed to not cook a battery so far because I mostly use my other charger that isn’t a total POS. It started doing this randomly less than a year after I bought it. Now it does it every time. The only way I can use it is to leave the water pump running and it will stay around 19.2

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 7110
posted Hide Post
while i generally liked those chargers, i have since gotten rid of all that i had. one thing some of you 16V guys may encounter - dead cooling fans. They only put a 12V rated fan on them, and when I was running all 16V the last few years, the fans started failing. Through some detective work, I found the same style of fan rated for 24V and upgraded my units, and never failed again. kind of annoying given the cost of the charger.

Posts: 1598 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the Voltage limiter took a chit.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
Sounds like the Voltage limiter took a chit.

Ya, but according to the genius that answers the phone there, resistance is too high on the battery so the charger can’t sense the voltage.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I had a turbostart battery three weeks ago that got hot and amps on turbostart charger wouldn’t go below 10 amps after being on charger for several hours. I got my Powermaster charger out and it also would go to 10 and stay so I swapped battery. I brought that battery into garage after the weekend and plugged in charger and it shows full charge. I am going to put it back into car and see what happens. I am figuring battery is junk but it is still holding a charge sitting on the floor.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
When I originally switched to 16v several years ago I bought a Rock/Moroso charger and Rock battery. The battery took a dump in less that 2 years, switched to the XS battery and haven't had an issue since. I also keep my battery connected to the charger 24/7 maintaining float mode.
So maybe the Rock/Moroso charger and XS battery is the best combo.....

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
You might want to open it up and see if anything came loose inside, never know with all the rattling around going down the highway.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
It will go to 21 volts if I’m not watching it.

Obviously you're just going to need to sit and watch it charge from now on.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post