DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Interview with new IHRA management
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interview with new IHRA management
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Ihra interview

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DragRaceResults,

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
OK, I gotta jump on this. 21 minutes in and they are talking helping tracks.
As a retired Army Warrant Officer, I ran multiple maintenance shops. The first thing I looked at was the maintenance SOP's which basically laid out how things would be done and provided the back up references that covered it.
Also, we had to provide the command a Continuity book which basically laid out what we did each day and the requirements for reporting different things.
More or less organization.

A most here know I have worked for IHRA since 2002. IHRA years ago under Bader, they used to go out to the tracks and provide training to the tech inspectors or those that want to be one. Tech guy's are supposed to be certified by SFI to perform tech or at least they were. It is an open book test covering the rule book. But you would be surprised how many could not pass it.
Since IHRA went strictly Bracket racing the tracks have basically stepped away from requiring a chassis cert. Hell they have stepped away from any kind of tech.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Turk
posted Hide Post
I guess you have not attended any bracket finals. They are great at selling tee shirts and standing around watching other track ops do all the work. SOP was do not ask questions of whats going on or even make any attempt to learn how things work. Took zero notes and racers had to tell them how to do the payouts. and the long list can go on from there.

Posts: 178 | Location: New Stanton | Registered: January 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Turk:
I guess you have not attended any bracket finals. They are great at selling tee shirts and standing around watching other track ops do all the work. SOP was do not ask questions of whats going on or even make any attempt to learn how things work. Took zero notes and racers had to tell them how to do the payouts. and the long list can go on from there.

LOL, I would say you may not have attended any.

I have worked many of them for IHRA in the past not to mention I made the Div 4 team finals since 1999 when IHRA first came to Texas minus the last couple of years while my car has been down or when I was deployed overseas.
As to what went on since Jeffers bought IHRA it's pretty understandable since him and someone from membership were the only ones working for IHRA at that time.
Also, just for your education on a few things.. 1. The cars were supposed to be tech'd by their own track prior to racing.. (LOL like that happened). 2. The track always provided the bulk of the workers for them. 3. Membership/T shirt sales. Membership because it is a requirement and a lot of folks like to renew at that time. T shirts because people wanted them. 4. Race Director, I suppose you know how to operate the computer/timing system?.
Yeah I know Jeffers owns a track, but I don't think he runs the races every weekend he probably has a manager since he has a butt load of other business.
Did you follow him around all day every day to see him not learning how things work?

In the past IHRA provided someone at the rear of staging and at the front pulling cars out of the lanes. The starter, but that was stopped a few years back when Rick quit (Div 4). All other positions were always filled by the host track.

As to what I have heard about what went on at this years Div 4 Finals, Jeffers spent most of his time grinning and shaking hands. Which is what I would expect until he gets his feet on the ground. Lets see what happens next year before burning him at the cross..

And yes. I still work for IHRA as a Chassis Inspector, but I still bytch about how things are ran at my local track..
Funny, as many races as I worked over the years, after Bader sold out and then Polburn, I never saw one IRG person at any race. Only reason I saw Scooter Peco was if i went to the tower, and I liked Scooter. Bader was hands down the best and i doubt he will ever be matched.

See ya made me get on my soap box... Razz

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
One other thing to think about. Each year the host track is voted on by the member tracks and there is a contract as to their requirements. The fewer people provided by IHRA the less it costs the track as they pay the wages and expenses for those people.

Dave

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
These people need to get something out there. What tracks are claiming to be IHRA?

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
well i watched from beginning to end and i don't know any more now than i did. what i got out of it is "the sky is the limit" and "we make our own traction compound"

Fern,the only NC tracks around my neck of the woods that stayed ihra is North Wilkesboro and Pageland. my home track Union went wdra. they felt since everyone else locally went wdra it was best for thier racers to do the same. i think it was more stability and maybe they figured there is safety and security in numbers.

and no offense to the interviewers but they answered most of the questions for the interviewees. and the interviewees did not seem very well prepared and not very professional. this is strictly an observation on my part.

i will support my local track whether they went wdra or ihra. makes me no difference.

ep

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have done well at both those tracks. Guess I’ll carry on for now.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of suprodn
posted Hide Post
Does Baker and Peco still work for IHRA just wondering.

Posts: 63 | Location: Watchn my motor go boom on the dyno | Registered: April 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by suprodn:

I believe the only person left from the last iteration of IHRA is Mel. Tammie worked the Div. 3 bracket finals, but left a few weeks ago.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5734 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by suprodn:

No. The only one from IHRA that stayed after Jeffers took over was Tami in membership/ But I heard that she has also quit.
My guess (and it is a guess) is since Jeffers is moving the operation closer to his current businesses she didn't want to move. That is wild ass guess though.
The only time I have talked to Jeffers he was in his shop in MO, and I now send my Chassis reports there.

I'm not sure how many chassis inspectors are sticking with them, but according to their web site it looks like all or most of the same guys.

Dave

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Best time I ever had at bracket finals was IHRA House of Hook Carolina Dragway, officials were super down to earth, cool. I've always rooted for IHRA all the way back to the Mountain Motor Pro Stock days, same as today. Hopefully Jeffers prospers.

NHRA Div 2 at SGMP this year was good too, the NHRA officials you see on TV worked it. They were cool, everyone worked together. Nobody flipped out over the lil stupid shyt. Smooth run race, everyone had a good time.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post