Find
Notify
Tools

roof a/c
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Going to be getting A/C unit in very near future for trailer.

Wonder what you guys are running.Brand,size and area of trailer.

About 256 sq feet or 1600 cubic feet in trailer I have.It is insulated and already wired for A/C. Does not have to be able to hang meat,but would not get mad if could.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Dometic Brisk

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Here is my advice. If you go to a roof top mount they are not very efficient. That means larger generator and not much cooling.
Go with a high efficiency (23+ SEER) mini split 110 unit. They use about half the electricity and cool good. Also remember these trailers are METAL which conducts heat and are not insulated all that good if at all. So you need more air conditioning than you think. Which also means larger, heavier and louder generator.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have a 15K BTU Dometic. This past very hot and humid weekend it made it comfortable inside with it running and a fan in the back of the trailer circulating the air. Not cold by any means but made for a place to get out of the heat, my dog loves it. Its very nice sleeping in the trailer at night. This is a 32ft insulated trailer.
Pretty sure this is what I have
https://www.amazon.com/Dometic...-XX1C0/dp/B00VZ547WG

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Big Steve,

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
WIll look at split units before pulling trigger. No such thing as more than I think I need. LOL I love it cold.

Trailer is insulated pretty good for 1" walls I had to work with when doing the inside. Jut another reason I wanted to do a complete trailer build and still have plans to do in cpl years. Too much money and work to not have comfort when I can.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
When shopping for units, there are 2 types. ducted and non ducted. You more than likely get non ducted. Ducted is with vents in the floor and or ceiling. Check prices closely. They do very a lot.
Some list just the upper half (Main unit) with out the lower unit.. average lower unit is about 125.00.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Typical RV unit is a 15,000btu model
Fits a 14x14 opening
120 volts and runs at right around 15 amps
I replaced my upper unit on my Motorhome and have ducted AC with roof vents all thru it.

The upper unit was around $500 delivered. Easy to change with a crane at work.

With a non ducted model you'd have the controls and cold air vents right below the roof unit. I don't know how much a complete unit costs with that lower section.

I have a Dometic Brisk Air. It does a decent job cooling my RV but no way it's as cold as my old Lance Camper with a 9000BTU Polar Cub used to get.....Much less area in there and you could hang meat in it!

I keep my RV reasonably cool so I can go get a break on a hot day and lay down in some cool air if I need to.

You get older and the heat gets to you....I used to hardly be bothered on a 90+ degree day unless the sun was roasting us as it sometimes did at Etown…..which was like a frying pan some days...

Never had a trailer with AC....A big fan would be fine for me....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
My little 12K unit in the front compartment. Another window shaker success. Using a front shower curtain for the split.. No need to cool down 44 ft of dead space.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I have a old window unit in generator door right now.A&T engineering(if live round here you undrstand). It cools trailer ok for working. I am looking for some of the heavy strips of clear to hang about half way.

Not if I had wall studs thick enough for my swinging hammock. LOL

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I used heavy clear plastic shower curtain but it did not help much.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
You need the shower curtain so you only cool off a small space. A big cool space starts big poker games.especially if its raining. Laughing very hard

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
great ! I made pretty good money in high school playing poker and gambling on about anything.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Depending on what you're looking for, a portable air conditioner is a good choice. We put one in my brother's trailer when we built his living quarters. It works great. We cut a hole in the floor for the vent and drain line and strapped it down in the corner. It works better than my trailer roof unit.

Posts: 67 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post