DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Blue Beacon Truck Wash
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Beacon Truck Wash
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted
Does anyone here use Blue Beacon when on the road to wash your truck and trailer? If so how do you like it and do they use an acid wash that will streak the sides of your trailer?

Posts: 608 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Been using them for years. Standard wash, brush, no brighter, add rain x. No streaks.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Not sure about their use of acid but my moho had pretty good paint but really looked good after a wax job. Shortly after a wax job I went through and the wax job was gone. It was clean but not as slick.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of willys1191
posted Hide Post
I won't even think of going back to the Blue Beacon after using them once. Toterhome was freshly wax and I was in the area of one and stopped in to have them wash it. Look good until it dried and I noticed that all the waxing I did the 2 weeks before was gone. Not sure what they use but it stripped all the wax off. I guess if my toterhome was white and not red I may not have noticed it right of way.
Just my experience with Blue Beacon.

Posts: 66 | Location: Enola, Pa | Registered: August 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by willys1191:
I won't even think of going back to the Blue Beacon after using them once. Toterhome was freshly wax and I was in the area of one and stopped in to have them wash it. Look good until it dried and I noticed that all the waxing I did the 2 weeks before was gone. Not sure what they use but it stripped all the wax off. I guess if my toterhome was white and not red I may not have noticed it right of way.
Just my experience with Blue Beacon.
I wouldn’t run my lawn mower thru one...

Posts: 1257 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
One might do well to closely read the menu. You can just about imagine how dirty some of those over-the-road semi's are and the aggressive cleaner needed to clean them. But they may have a wax safe option. The "acid wash" is an aluminum brightener and as such removes some oxidized metal and would certainly be death to wax. But I'm sure you would have to pay for that stage and thus can op-out.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2334 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
The "acid wash" is an aluminum brightener and as such removes some oxidized metal and would certainly be death to wax.

this and it IS an extra you pay/paid for.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I would be a little careful with any truck wash that uses Monsanto Caustic Soda to wash you truck or trailer, the stuff is very nasty. That bright shiny trailer actually got etched with the caustic soda, it will over time erode the aluminum, rust any steel it comes in contact with and create a serious medical issue for the person using it. I know what I'm talking about when it comes to caustic soda, I have history here.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Glad I saw this post. On my way here at the million in montgomery went thru some rain. Was keeping my eye out for a blue beacon wash. Kinda missed the exit so no wash. So after reading this glad I did. Put some time in waxing the trailer and 40 ft motorhome think I will wait to get home.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Monsanto Caustic Soda... and create a serious medical issue for the person using it.

Pure Caustic Soda is a commodity chemical regardless of who's name is on the sack, Caustic Soda is Caustic Soda, is Caustic Soda. Also knows as Sodium Hydroxide with the chemical symbol of NaOH. It is as high an alkaline material as there is, pH 14.0. While it can be very dangerous if handled wrong, if the proper PPE and procedures are used it is safe. That would be rubber apron, rubber gloves, boots, safety glasses/goggles and face shield. Caustic Soda should always be added to water and not the other way around or there will be a violent chemical reaction causing splashing and eruptions. Think of Caustic Soda as fire-in-a-sack, or chemical fire, it will burn you if mishandled. I've probably sold 1000's of pallets of Caustic over the years and overseen it use and never had anyone harmed.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2334 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
again, I've had my trailer washed since new at numerous Blue Beacon Truck Wash in NY, PA, OH, VA, NC, IN, IL and the finish on my panels have not streaked nor have they been subject to a caustic soda evident by the fact that 3 years later they shine like new. Matter of fact they will be washing my trailer for the final time this year soon.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
So, do they use acid or caustic or both? Acid as said can brighten aluminum. Caustic depending on how it is mixed/diluted is a very effective high ph soap of sorts. I wouldn't want acid on painted surfaces for fear of etching. The caustic if too strong would certainly strip any wax and I would guess damage paint as well. The question is why would it be mixed at that strength.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6390 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
https://bluebeacon.com/our-services/rv-motorcoach/

It is an option in a pinch. Nothing beats a foam cannon and a low pressure pressure washer before a soft hand wash.

Posts: 146 | Location: Left of Center | Registered: February 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I have had many trip to the "STREAKIN BEACON"...MOST of the time my stuff looks worse after going thru. They will kill a set of polished wheels in one visit no mind they always acid when told not to...somewhere I always find/see where the dork hit the wrong button on wand or grabbed wrong sprayer.

I recommend avoiding the Streakin Beacon truck wash if possible. Employees are typically young and couldn't care less about your rig.

JMO

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
*UPDATE* ok so I bit the bullet and took a shot at the Beacon. Before I pulled up into the wash the guy asked what I wanted. I expressed that I needed a brush wash and NO, I repeat NO ACID or ANY CHEMICALS at ALL, he said No Problem. Before pulling in I made sure the 2 guys with the wands knew that it was no Acid or Chemicals, they said yes sir there will be no chemicals. I pulled in and had them wash the truck and trailer and went inside to pay. When I came back out and watched them I saw that they were washing it with the brushes. When I pulled out I inspected the trailer before leaving and it was bright and shiny and clean, same for the truck. I had no issues at all with the wash.

I think the key here is to make sure they know NO CHEMICALS what so ever.

Posts: 608 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
you failed to say...

"1320racer was spot on" pun intended.

FYI, I did the same yesterday and left with a shiny, clean and streak free trailer as always.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
you failed to say...

"1320racer was spot on" pun intended.

FYI, I did the same yesterday and left with a shiny, clean and streak free trailer as always.

You were SPOT On Sir!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Go to RV.net and see what that crew has to say about the “streaking beaker”.

Posts: 6200 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Go to RV.net and see what that crew has to say about the “streaking beaker”.

Not trying to bash you but why would I go to RV.net when I have my first hand experience?

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You are not bashing me. I only referenced that because there are far more people over there that have opinions on blue beacon. We drag racers don’t amount to much compared to them. Guess we should check a truck driver site. I just drove 1000 mi in the rain and my bus is filthy☹️☹️☹️

Posts: 6200 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post