Find
Notify
Tools

New vehicle chips?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted
How come no one knows how to make one. I am NOT buying this.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Been saying that all along…None of this shyt makes no sense…

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
In 1985 we did an air balance job for GE Micro Electronics in Raliegh. They made microchips mostly Pac amn machines at the time. If we could make microchips 37 years ago it is really hard to believe we do not have the capability of doing so now.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4165 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Because we do business with china

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12265 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike English:

We don't, the oligarchy manufacturing in china does.

We then do business with the oligarchy.

Then when we can't repay the loans the bubble bursts and the oligarchy gets bailed out, too big to fail.

Heads they win, tails you lose.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think it all harkens back to "a giant sucking sound". Had that prophecy been heeded we would be a different nation today. Much like we use to be.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2324 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
How come no one knows how to make one. I am NOT buying this.

Due to illegal EPA regulation of fluorocarbons, we can't manufacture chips here, because, Earth, ya know....
If it happens in China or India, it doesn't hurt the environment at all. Roll Eyes
Part of the chip process was a bath in Freon to remove excess rosin and flux, in giant open vats of it.
I know this because 30+ years ago I was forced to buy $20,000 worth of useless equipment to keep my customers auto A/C working. Mad

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1598 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile the truck I ordered in January still isn't officially accepted by GM.
The former Delphi plant in Kokomo has every square inch of fenced space covered with new trucks that are likely going to be crushed, not sold.
Rumor from insiders say there is in excess of 75,000 new trucks scheduled to be crushed.

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1598 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
The former Delphi plant in Kokomo has every square inch of fenced space covered with new trucks that are likely going to be crushed, not sold.
Rumor from insiders say there is in excess of 75,000 new trucks scheduled to be crushed.

It would be nice to be able to get your hands on one of those new trucks and just drop a crate 454 in it.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I work for a new car dealer - from what I am told from the factory reps, when the company that supplies a particular component goes under, its not so easy to just shift production to another manufacturer when you need 4 or 5 million of something. It takes time to design, test and ramp up production. This is especially true if the shortage is raw materials and/or the other companies are already at max production. If it's a non-safety issue, we sell the cars and install the missing components as they arrive (currently doing that with cars that are coming without a subwoofer for the stereo and some that are coming with only one key from the factory). If its a safety issue like an ABS sensor or something, they send us the cars but we cant sell them... we may have 15 cars here and only 2 ABS sensors come in, so we hold them and put them in cars as the sales department sells them. Currently nearly all of our wiring harnesses are manufactured in the Ukraine. The factories are in an area that hasn't been affected by fighting YET but everyone is holding their breath. It's no different than the current shortage of camshaft cores - you can't just call Comp instead of Bullet when the whole industry is dealing with the same issue. I find it highly unlikely the manufacturer would just crush cars and take that huge loss when you could just sell the cars at a discount once they're complete and recover most of the loss.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 625 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X: I find it highly unlikely the manufacturer would just crush cars and take that huge loss when you could just sell the cars at a discount once they're complete and recover most of the loss.

Their theory is that unleashing discounted inventory will crush the new vehicle prices.
I have asked about buying "leftovers" several times and been told that just doesn't happen.

Get set for the next U.S. automaker (union) bailouts.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

Their theory is that unleashing discounted inventory will crush the new vehicle prices.
I have asked about buying "leftovers" several times and been told that just doesn't happen.

Get set for the next U.S. automaker (union) bailouts.[/QUOTE]

That is true but I would think smarter people than me would figure out a way to sell them for fleet or government use or something??? Who knows.

Posts: 625 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
quote:

It would be nice to be able to get your hands on one of those new trucks and just drop a crate 454 in it.

I was just gonna say put aftermarket efi on it.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6353 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I would just think that even some small, low quantity domestic chip houses could churn out SOME. I know it isn't easy doing business with the big three. But I can't think that GM wouldn't pay a premium for any chips they could get.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6353 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
quote:

From what I understand it is not engine controls that are the problem. My order sheet listed the things they couldn't deliver on like heated and cooled seats, steering wheel heater, frt and rear parking assist?? heated rear seat.

I can live without any of that. I don't know what other systems have delivery stalled.

It was expressed that as parts became available they would add them in, no charge.

Someone is manipulating this, to try to crush America.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would just think that even some small, low quantity domestic chip houses could churn out SOME. I know it isn't easy doing business with the big three. But I can't think that GM wouldn't pay a premium for any chips they could get.

Pretty sure that doesn't exist, due to illegal EPA regulations.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

From what I understand it is not engine controls that are the problem. My order sheet listed the things they couldn't deliver on like heated and cooled seats, steering wheel heater, frt and rear parking assist?? heated rear seat.

I can live without any of that. I don't know what other systems have delivery stalled.

It was expressed that as parts became available they would add them in, no charge.

Someone is manipulating this, to try to crush America.[/QUOTE]

I keep hearing "chips" but its electrical components in general and its not just for the U.S. so I don't buy the conspiracy.... I run the parts department for a Porsche, Bentley, Lamborghini & Bugatti dealer so none of our cars are manufactured here, I don't believe any of our parts are manufactured here and the issues affect all markets throughout the world. Volkswagen owns all 4 brands and they are the second largest car manufacturer in the world so its not about market clout either. As I mentioned in my earlier post, recently we are getting cars with only one key due to a supplier shortage - on those vehicles we can sell the cars & program the second key later (it basically gets handled like a recall - bring the car to the dealership and parts & labor are billed to the manufacturer). However we had a batch of cars come without the front sensor for the adaptive cruise and collision avoidance, so since that was a safety issue those cars had to sit at the dealership until we installed the sensors that were shipped as they became available. The manufacturer isn't going to stop selling the cars for a convenience item, but anything that affects safety or emissions and they don't have a choice. If you are waiting for one of those parts for an out-of-warranty repair, then you are really screwed as you are on the back of the line. Again, it's a worldwide problem so I doubt any conspiracy theories. You know, not like when we had no baby formula on the shelves but there was plenty in Mexico & Canada.... now THAT was some shady sh1t.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Taking us down through our heated and cooled seats. Genius move!

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I would not drop the heated and cooled seats. Those heated seats make a old guy back feel lot better on those woke up achng days

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4165 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
Well, I hope we are all enjoying our into to communism. This didn't happen by accident.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post