DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Moving back home to Colorado
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving back home to Colorado
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Likewise muggs, great to meet you as well! I just wish I'd gone a little further than I did that night, but it was more of a test session for me anyway!

Bucky, I'm the same way. When I was younger, I could deal with the heat a lot more. Now, it just saps my energy and I can't do crap. It's actually beginning to affect my health as well, and that's where I have to draw the line. Racing here isn't fun for me because of the heat and humidity. Even with my cooling vest, I can barely tolerate it. The cold in Colorado was starting to get to me, but then again I worked out in it a considerable amount....but what I've learned since I've been here is that I can function well in the cold, and my body does better in the cooler temps. I still don't like to be cold, but if it never got above about 60* or below about 30*, you'd never see me complain! I think the biggest thing here though is the amount of water in the air...humidity is only one part of it. It makes it hard for me to breathe, and just feels sticky.... Back home on a really hot day, it just doesn't feel the same. Yeah, it still gets hot, but the air is dry. A breeze actually makes a difference...cooling towels and things like that actually work better....it's just easier to deal with.

I have found a house, but whether or not I can get it will depend on selling mine here...the market isn't bad, it's just not what it is in Colorado. But....I have a shop....and those are highly prized....so we'll see.

This coming friday I make my first trip back with my trailer and everything I can reasonably fit into it. It's going to get parked near my new job until I can get settled. Second trip will be the following weekend....the only problem I haven't solved yet is my son's car. Need a place to store it until I can get into a place where I can put it. It's not drivable as is, so that's going to be an issue...I guess we'll figure out something....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Comet Kart Sales. LOL Spent and i am not kidding
Thousands there. I considered it "The One Stop Shop. We had 3 Italian and 2 Margay's. The whole operation was stolen. Emptied the entire racing operation out of the trailer. The *** even had the ba** to shut the door. Son goes into the trailer and comes back, DAD where are all the karts. The whole trailer was empty. Parts. Tools. The *** even took the embroidered suites. We never recovered. Insurance or not. We were left with a couple #35 chains and sprockets. Yes the trailer was in a secure lot. Now with the car, the only thing you will find in there are dust balls. The real pi**er of the whole situation was. The detectives printed the whole trailer . I had to go into the SO for prints too.
Inside job ***NO. They were doing their job.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
Likewise muggs, great to meet you as well! I just wish I'd gone a little further than I did that night, but it was more of a test session for me anyway!

Bucky, I'm the same way. When I was younger, I could deal with the heat a lot more. Now, it just saps my energy and I can't do crap. It's actually beginning to affect my health as well, and that's where I have to draw the line. Racing here isn't fun for me because of the heat and humidity. Even with my cooling vest, I can barely tolerate it. The cold in Colorado was starting to get to me, but then again I worked out in it a considerable amount....but what I've learned since I've been here is that I can function well in the cold, and my body does better in the cooler temps. I still don't like to be cold, but if it never got above about 60* or below about 30*, you'd never see me complain! I think the biggest thing here though is the amount of water in the air...humidity is only one part of it. It makes it hard for me to breathe, and just feels sticky.... Back home on a really hot day, it just doesn't feel the same. Yeah, it still gets hot, but the air is dry. A breeze actually makes a difference...cooling towels and things like that actually work better....it's just easier to deal with.

I have found a house, but whether or not I can get it will depend on selling mine here...the market isn't bad, it's just not what it is in Colorado. But....I have a shop....and those are highly prized....so we'll see.

This coming friday I make my first trip back with my trailer and everything I can reasonably fit into it. It's going to get parked near my new job until I can get settled. Second trip will be the following weekend....the only problem I haven't solved yet is my son's car. Need a place to store it until I can get into a place where I can put it. It's not drivable as is, so that's going to be an issue...I guess we'll figure out something....

Only been to CO once. Pretty arid.
Even in the humidity, find me a shady spot and I'm good. I wear a big brimmed hat to keep it off my face and neck. Many years ago I started with a medicine that seemed to have started the sun deal for me. Now, make no mistake....if I lost 15 I'm sure the heat would be less for me. But damn that sun.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Hot ,muggy humid in NC.Got room for one more?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Good fly fishing in Colorado too Big Grin

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good fly fishing in Colorado too

Really? I've never know anyone to catch squat in CO. I think its been fished out for many many years now. If you've actually sacked up the trout please tell us about it.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
It's far from fished out....Go to Deckers and you'll catch your limit in a day if you're good...there are also several high mountain lakes and streams that are wild....and rules are flys only, no baits....You might catch one, but those fish are smart.....

Now the easily reached, highly popular areas are a little more challenging because the fish move out of those areas...If they are constantly being disrupted, they will move.....but I can go to just about any lake or river and get something....I'm looking forward to fishing on a stream or lake again. Salt water is fun but the heat and humidity did their number on me....

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Well, today I start loading my car trailer. I need to put the radiator back in the dragster, but that won't take long. Need to load the barrel of fuel I have, both generators, car, jack stands, and a bunch of misc stuff. ATV usually goes in the trailer, but going in the truck instead. I need to get as much in there as I can without damaging the car. Got an idea of what I'm putting in, just have to see if it all fits. Should be leaving either thursday or friday morning. Long drive there and back...

I can't believe this is really happening...kinda surreal at this point. I wanted to go back home but didn't think it would happen for at least a few more years....

Unless I can get my house here sold quickly, and get another one there, I'm not sure if I'll make it to the track before the end of the season. Hell, depending on what the judge says, it may not matter anyway, but we'll see.

No matter what, I'm glad to be going home and I know deep down this is the right thing to do. I do know first weekend there after recovering from my trips, I'm grabbing my quad and heading to the hills!!!! Need my altitude fix!!!

The saga continues....

Mark Goulette

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Good luck and safe travels Mark.

Posts: 64 | Location: south carolina | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Thanks, gonna be a long weekend for sure...should be close to 5k miles by the time I get back here to florida, and then I get to finish packing and loading again...ugh...

Mark Goulette

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Mark how many days each way? Glad your getting to go home. Thats cool. Smile

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Got a place to live now?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Footloose, about two days each way, ish.....

Bucky, yeah, staying with daughter until I get my house here sold and buy another one

Mark Goulette

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I cannot imagine moving my shop. Well and the barn for that matter. Machining equipment, welders etc etc. I would have to sell and buy new some stuff I think.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo