New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great Read
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted

Posts: 12279 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I think everything will be fine.

However,if some far left candidate wins the 2020 election,I look for the stock market to crash at least 50% and the game of high stakes bracket racing will go along with it.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
However,if some far left candidate wins the 2020 election,I look for the stock market to crash at least 50% and the game of high stakes bracket racing will go along with it.

Yep if this happens it will be "Life Changing" for most of us.....

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
That article is crap. Everything is doom and gloom the sky is falling. I’m just glad to see promoters taking the risk and putting on some great races. It’s a great time to be a bracket racer.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
It is clearly a good time to be bracket racing! I sold the Top Sportsman stuff in 2016 to go big money bracket racing, never looked back and NO REGRETS...having a ball!

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hammond:
That article is crap. Everything is doom and gloom the sky is falling. I’m just glad to see promoters taking the risk and putting on some great races. It’s a great time to be a bracket racer.

Is it? Just last year a guy won a big check that wasn't worth the paper it was written on. He eventually got his money, but how many promoters and/or racers are running on the financial 2-Step?

The whole picture is not doom and gloom, it truly is a great time to be a bracket racer, but it isn't unrealistic to have concerns.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3153 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hammond:

Is it? Just last year a guy won a big check that wasn't worth the paper it was written on. He eventually got his money, but how many promoters and/or racers are running on the financial 2-Step?

The whole picture is not doom and gloom, it truly is a great time to be a bracket racer, but it isn't unrealistic to have concerns.

I don’t care how much debt a racer goes into for the sport. That’s not anyone’s business and if they are dumb enough to do that it’s on them. And one promoter having problems doesn’t mean they are all bad. SFG, loose Rocker, the Folk family the flings and whoever I’ve missed have all proven themselves over the years. They are upping the ante on big money races. And so far it seems to be working. Everyone knows what it cost to enter the race and how much it’s going to cost to get there and back home. Questioning where all of the cars are going to come from is dumb too. There obviously is no shortage of racers attending and selling out these races.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Great article, and also a bunch of history on big bucks bracket racing. One series left out as pioneering big buck bracket racing is the Tenn-Tuck $10K races. It's been so long I don't remember all the history. I "think" they finally dropped the Tenn-Tuck name a year ago. Old racers, help me fill in the blanks and correct any mistakes I make. The series started as a combination of races in Tennessee and Kentucky. IIRC it was Clarksville, (maybe) Music City, then Bowling Green. I don't recall if they paid $5K or $10K to win at first. 30 years or more ago all of the races got moved to Bowling Green, but they kept the Tenn-Tuck name. As far as I can remember they were in March, July and October. I don't recall if the first few years consisted of 3 weekends or not. I went to a big money race in Jackson Tn. decades ago, but I don't think it was part of the Tenn-Tuck deal. Clarksville, Music City and Bowling Green are closer to each other than Jackson.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The multi-day big money bracket race was pioneered by **** Moroso in 1984. Several Northern promoters capitalized on that success by running 3-day races on holiday weekends. Bob Louden at Tri-State Dragway in Ohio had some success, but summer racing in Ohio was risky. The salvation to frequent thunderstorms was to roll money over and implement buybacks. The idea to buy back was suggested by Royce Miller and Terry Sinke, and it helped these races to get adequate car counts and continue on. Tri-State had enough success to expand to 4 weekends, and they had sponsors and a points fund. The format started to outgrow the track, with great payouts at other tracks drawing away the travelling racers. Bob passed away years ago and the track discontinued the 3-day races, then suffered greatly during the 2008-2016 recession. Finally, the track closed in 2014 and the land was sold July 1 of this year, ending the legend of Tri-State.

Posts: 321 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: October 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The first added purse race I ever remember was long before Byron or Moroso. It was at Salem Ohio, 1 day, Sunday, and paid $2000 to win. We towed up there from Baltimore for this race.

Posts: 6203 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post