DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    3 Cylinder Onan 6.5 Diesel Gen Set
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 Cylinder Onan 6.5 Diesel Gen Set
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
If anyone is interested, I know Gen Sets are a common topic here, there is a 3 cylinder diesel RV Gen Set on a auction site I use and purchase from often. Operational, complete package without the air filter. Water cooled. Will probably sell below $1000. At $100 now and auction ends on Wednesday.
Have bought a lot of equipment of this site. Trust-able site.

EDIT - Looks to have the 3 cylinder Cummins engine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Double Eagle Racing,

Barry

Posts: 66 | Location: Ga and Tn | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Hopefully Rich will chime in.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4481 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
sounds like the gen set that came in a lot of early 90s pushers. They aren't the quietest things around town but run forever (assuming the control board doesn't act up)

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I am guessing it's a DKD open style unit and as Mr. I hate dragsters said.....was sometimes found in early diesel pushers before the modern 7.5 inverter type Onan came along

They are Kubota engines and yes reliable but we're talking about a likely 20 + year old unit

Early ones had typical Onan controls with relays and a lot of wiring in the control box....

Later versions have printed control boards

No matter what unit it is the generator end can fail with time and deterioration and vibration

Parts for old machines will be limited and likely obsolete

I had a customer who had "show" Dobermans and a Ford diesel van with a DKD mounted in the back.....

I worked on a few of them over the years...

Onan built a lot of machines very similar and they were good for sure.....BUT they are old and once you own it.....you own it !

When they fail you can easily be up the creek without a paddle LOL

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes. Model 6.5 DKDFA
Just thought maybe someone could use it since it is going to go so cheap.
I might just buy it for the engine. Could always use it as a hydraulic power unit or something.

Barry

Posts: 66 | Location: Ga and Tn | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
There is a guy on You Tube that will take any generator no matter how old it is and work on it and usually gets it going and making output.

Ancient stuff and some big machines

I have no idea how anyone finds the time and patience to mess with old equipment and what do you do with it ?

Another guy does the same thing with portables......buys them for cheap and fixes them or swaps parts from other machines

There is no market for this stuff...

We used to say there's another go kart engine once the generator end fails

Yes I even had one guy who said he could use a Kubota out of a failed Miller welder to drive a water pump to use on jobsites....

Saying it and doing it are 2 different things though...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post