DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    A smile for the day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A smile for the day
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
About 1977, first D4 bracket finals at Greenvalley

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Some history, about 1975 I -20 and Whitehouse, both near Tyler Texas, began bracket racing.

Since the I-20 track provided easy access for Dallas area racers a number of them often attended. Some notables were the Richardson family, Bill Hielscher, and several others who's names escape me just now but are regulars on this site. By the way, all of us well into our 70s now! Whew.

We began to notice a trend, when we raced against each outer [local to the area hot rodders] we did fine with most of us scoring win/loss about evenly. However, when paired up with Richardson or Hielscher, we always lost.

Three of us considered ourselves intelligent and capable so we put our heads together in an effort to learn why they were beating us. We watched and pondered every move they made, made notes, recorded each round win/loss and primitively considered the weather.

First thing, they ofter deep staged, but not always. Second, while they often did not run the dial, they still won. Third, at times they would match our dial a wheel race us to the finish, always winning, generally not running the dial.

We gradually learned what was happening and began to learn our lessons. One night at I-20, it was the three of us in the final with all the Dallas racers on their respective trailers.

It was a proud moment, we learned our lessons well.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I-20, lessons learned about reaction time

Larry Woodfin

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just a smile will do:::: SmileHalf of us are going to come out of this quarantine as amazing cooks. The other half will come out with a drinking problem.

I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now I turn it like I’m cracking a safe.

I need to practice social-distancing from the refrigerator.

Still haven’t decided where to go for Easter -—— The Living Room or The Bedroom

Every few days try your jeans on just to make sure they fit. Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.

Homeschooling is going well. 2 students suspended for fighting and 1 teacher fired for drinking on the job.

I don’t think anyone expected that when we changed the clocks we’d go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone

This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. I came into my house, told my dog..... we laughed a lot.

Quarantine Day 5: Went to this restaurant called THE KITCHEN. You have to gather all the ingredients and make your own meal. I have no clue how this place is still in business.

My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

Day 5 of Homeschooling: One of these little monsters called in a bomb threat.

I’m so excited -— it’s time to take out the garbage. What should I wear?

I hope the weather is good tomorrow for my trip to Puerto Backyarda. I’m getting tired of Los Livingroom.

Classified Ad: Single man with toilet paper seeks woman with hand sanitizer for good clean fun.

Day 6 of Homeschooling: My child just said “I hope I don’t have the same teacher next year”.... I’m offended.

Posts: 61 | Location: Indiana | Registered: April 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The cartoons were drawn by the Father of Curtis and Steve Harvey.

Mr. Harvey was part of the brain trust that put us in the winner's circle.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Very cool stuff!!

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
https://www.nhra.com/news/2020...bWBa-qbbhZhHp3l8sL3g

Don't know what's wrong but I can only use the Quick reply Button. The full post form pops up as a blank page.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3304 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
Larry I didn't know Old Man Harvey was an artist. Why did he put a Halo over Keith Black's head. lol
I made my first pass at I 20 in 1982. My Dad wasn't interested in racing but he would drop me and a friend off there back in the 70's. I remember watching Kelly Chadwick race Gene Snow's Rambunctious back in the day.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 295 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
This stay at home is really getting to me.
Today I over slept and was late to the couch.
Cutting the yard is considered a day out.
Sitting by the pool in the evening with an adult beverage is a night out.
I have met some of my neighbors, 6 feet at a time.
The new S/St truck build is ahead of schedule (a good thing).
The dogs have quit barking at me when I come in the house, guess they figure I live here.
I have developed a new appreciation for my Wednesday Mens league golf outing, I get my own cart to look for the lost ball.
Oh well.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Blue truck,

Once we began to carry our own weight the word was quickly out that we had learned something. Each time we pulled to the line Keith would give a smile and a discrete thumbs up.

In the cartoon notice, he has one foot in the staging beams, it became an on-going joke.

Keith nick named me "GoldWood" because of the Gold 55. He still calls me that.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
Larry he shows up at Ennis every year. I think it was the Fall Nationals last year someone dropped him off at Don Snows Pit. I didn't see him but they said he wasn't doing very well with his diabetes I believe. I first met him was at I20 Dragway. He worked for Ken Hall at his Gas Station at 5th and the Loop in Tyler. When I was a kid I delivered tobacco and candy to all of Ken's stations. So I saw him all the time. I can't remember his real first name but his last name is Ruffin.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 295 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post