DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Lenient Tech Inspections at Big Money Races
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lenient Tech Inspections at Big Money Races
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I know big money races are all about entry numbers. Therefore, they allow a less stringent tech inspection of safety gear and cars. My question is, why are people okay with this? My local track, Indianapolis Raceway Park, is owned by NHRA. So, you must pass NHRA tech and have a valid NHRA License to race there. Because of this, I feel a lot safer racing when everyone takes safety seriously. Am I different than most people who think this way?

BTW… Unfortunately, big money races do not come to this track for the same reason. They've tried before. But after the majority of the cars did not pass tech, they moved the race to somewhere else.

Posts: 24 | Location: Indianapolis  | Registered: March 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
You’ve said it, it’s all about the entries aka the MONEY. No one cares about tech/safety/cheating. All are good to go once you pay.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
With the exception of an engine diaper to keep you from sliding into me when your rods come out, I don't feel any more or less safe by what the guy in the other lane is wearing. It doesn't affect me if you are wearing a -15 suit & a HANS or an open face helmet and nylon shorts... my safety equipment is up to date & in place. I have no actual statistics, but I don't notice any more or less crashes at a 4 day bracket race with 600+ cars making thousands of runs than I see at an NHRA National event. I'll go one step further and say that that if the NHRA's requirements were a little more reasonable, you may have more tracks & promoters willing to adhere to them. I mean, does anyone feel safer knowing that the NHRA requires racers to recertify a transmission case every 5 years?

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 629 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
With the exception of an engine diaper to keep you from sliding into me when your rods come out, I don't feel any more or less safe by what the guy in the other lane is wearing. It doesn't affect me if you are wearing a -15 suit & a HANS or an open face helmet and nylon shorts... my safety equipment is up to date & in place. I have no actual statistics, but I don't notice any more or less crashes at a 4 day bracket race with 600+ cars making thousands of runs than I see at an NHRA National event. I'll go one step further and say that that if the NHRA's requirements were a little more reasonable, you may have more tracks & promoters willing to adhere to them. I mean, does anyone feel safer knowing that the NHRA requires racers to recertify a transmission case every 5 years?

I agree with most of what you are saying. I think EVERY car that has slicks should have a diaper.

There used to be several people who would wear the nylon pants when racing and there is nothing I can think of worse to wear if there is a fire. I catches on fire easily, melts and hard to put out once it starts. Not that defies all common sense yet they do it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4011 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
So yall feel all warm n fuzzy because the idiots at nhra make sure the guy in the other lane doesnt have an expired window net.

The very same idiots at nhra then turn around and let any ol' sand wedge get behind the wheel of whatever their non drivin talentless dreams are and ya dont mind a bit.....

Point is....

As usual yall are blind to the actual problem. It needs to be much harder to get behind the wheel.

Example:
Youre sand wedge a$$ wrecks one doin a burnout? Banned for life.

But in the meantime, keep takin your perfectly good glides out and sending the cases in if it makes ya feel good Laughing Hard

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
quote:

Will certainly be considered for one of the best lines of the year.

SL... miss'n my buddy up North. Cya in Byron

Posts: 2105 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I can agree and disagree with some of the safety rules, but there is a reason I slow it back to 6.39 at NHRA events. Totally agree with the powerglide certification. Stupid!

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Some of the safety rules do seem kind of silly.
A few years ago,collector tethers were the hot topic,even though my collectors had tabs welded with grade 8 bolts securing them.
Had to get the collector tethers.
Nobody has even looked or questioned them for at least 2 years at any NHRA race I have been to.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Little tires in front big’uns in the back…SEND IT…

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Accidents on record due to lenient tech .001%.

Accidents on record due to driver error 99.1%

Accidents on record due to parts failure .008%

Estimates are subject to minute changes.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boucher Jr:
So yall feel all warm n fuzzy because the idiots at nhra make sure the guy in the other lane doesnt have an expired window net.

The very same idiots at nhra then turn around and let any ol' sand wedge get behind the wheel of whatever their non drivin talentless dreams are and ya dont mind a bit.....

Point is....

As usual yall are blind to the actual problem. It needs to be much harder to get behind the wheel.

Example:

But in the meantime, keep takin your perfectly good glides out and sending the cases in if it makes ya feel good Laughing Hard

The ignorance in this comment is mind blowing...

At an NHRA owned track, I know each person has gone through the same license requirements as me. They take safety seriously like me. They follow the rules like me. Especially going almost 200mph in Super Comp now or when 4.60 is considered slow on a bracket weekend.

But go ahead and wear your sweatpants instead. I just question your morals because if you are willing to skimp out on things that keep you safe, what else did you skimp out on?

Posts: 24 | Location: Indianapolis  | Registered: March 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
In the rulebook it clearly states that it is 100% the responsibility of the driver to ensure ALL rules are followed.

Sooooooo, society is to blame, not the promoters and track operators.

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

"But self government is soooo haaaarrrrrd!" Roll Eyes

Quit letting Commies indoctrinate children, and NOBODY gives a F about your feeeeelings.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1658 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
I got a son and grandsons to set example for so I comply with all the safety rules.

To me is individuals responsibility to comply regardless of track tech.

I can remember a time when tech guys hunted for reasons to boot cars/bikes over minor stuff to keep car counts under control.

I have developed no issue with diapers though never use with high end (solid internals) motor. I do use with backup motor due to 2 bolt block and factory steel crank. It is nowhere near as bad to use as I thought.

Posts: 3079 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
In the rulebook it clearly states that it is 100% the responsibility of the driver to ensure ALL rules are followed.

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

As Ed would say “Truth and facts” When I fill out an electronic tech card when entering a NHRA race thats exactly what it states when I digitally sign it before hitting send.
Than being said the only things I have been spot checked for was chassis cert, belts, helmet and SFI wheels once.

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
My local track is an NHRA owned track, on bracket nights there is no tech whatsoever just sign the waiver. Even when I brought my car out for the first time it had never been to any track before and I hadn't raced at that track in 5 or 6 years just sign the waiver and go...

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
quote:

Will certainly be considered for one of the best lines of the year.

SL... miss'n my buddy up North. Cya in Byron

Well shyt I picked a fine time to incorrectly use "your" like a common hobo then didnt I....

You betcha, Ill bring over some coors to sip on while I show off my new arm restraints and neck collar...

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vince Kaiser:
I know big money races are all about entry numbers. Therefore, they allow a less stringent tech inspection of safety gear and cars. My question is, why are people okay with this? My local track, Indianapolis Raceway Park, is owned by NHRA. So, you must pass NHRA tech and have a valid NHRA License to race there. Because of this, I feel a lot safer racing when everyone takes safety seriously. Am I different than most people who think this way?

BTW… Unfortunately, big money races do not come to this track for the same reason. They've tried before. But after the majority of the cars did not pass tech, they moved the race to somewhere else.

You just answered your own question. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
It's interesting to watch the contingent that worship the rules. They wait with bated breath to comply with the new rules that come out at the beginning of each year. Standing on the higher moral ground. And that's fine for them, that's what they like and so that's what they should do. If the sanctioning body makes the rules then it's THEIR job to enforce the rules. The NHRA has been making rules since 1953. They should do like Trump did with bureaucracy mandates; for every new rule they have to erase two old rules. Certainly F1 is as strict as strict can be when it comes to enforcing the rules (big money). Pro baseball and pro cycling went through terrible times because the bodies didn't enforce the rules. Then it's Katy bar the door when they come down on the individual for trying to be competitive in a field consumed with "cheater".

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I haven’t seen a tech line in years. Last time l was checked up in Div 1 they took my helmet apart while they passed a car with a missing lug bolt on a rear wheel.

Nice thread for someone with 14 posts, wow!

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vince Kaiser:
I know big money races are all about entry numbers. Therefore, they allow a less stringent tech inspection of safety gear and cars. My question is, why are people okay with this?

A large percentage of the racers that participate in these higher dollar, tech is your responsibility races, probably attend their local N/Ihra events as I do, have been through tech and should know the rules.

Knowing this, sometimes I feel safer participating in these hi dollar events, than driving on the highway/ freeway roads to get to them.

Posts: 2459 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post