Notify
Tools

Camp Fire Ca.
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I wonder if there is any protection that works when the forest is close to the house. Sprinklers may not do a lick of good with the intense heat of the fire in the back yard. I dunno.

It is very hard to fathom how hot a fire like this can get. A few years ago my Brother-in-Law had a fire at his mill where he makes cedar shingles and shakes. Had two fire departments there pouring water on it from 6 1 1/2 hoses and a water cannon on top of one of the trucks. It was 2 1/2 hours before any water was showing on the ground around the building. It took that long to cool it down enough so that all the water wasn't going up in steam.

You have to be careful about using water from a pool that has chlorine in it to fight a fire with, as that can produce some nasty stuff when it gets that hot.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
...as that can produce some nasty stuff...

Chlorine gas..... deadly.

quote:
I wonder if there is any protection that works when the forest is close to the house.

"Fire breaks" (mowed or plowed sections) are common to try and contain grass fires progression, but I don't think anything is effective when we're talking that kind of forest fire heat intensity.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Well I agree with all the statements about this said fire season. Just wishing for ways to stop all the lost of property and lives. Two things come to mind, most high end pool owners now are using salt to maintain their pools, and second in LA county you are to clear cut all vegetation 100 feet from home to help defend your home from fire.

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:
...as that can produce some nasty stuff...

Chlorine gas..... deadly.

quote:
I wonder if there is any protection that works when the forest is close to the house.

"Fire breaks" (mowed or plowed sections) are common to try and contain grass fires progression, but I don't think anything is effective when we're talking that kind of forest fire heat intensity.

Ok i am not a chemist, but i do own a pool. My pool has 6 parts per million of Chlorine. if my math is correct my 20,000 gal pool has .12 gallons of Chlorine and that is going to produce Chlorine gas if burned?

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Every pool out here (in the valley) has reverse valving for fires. In an emergency.... Spray that s h y t!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4498 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
In the areas where Chuck and I live everyone carries. Try looting here and it would be a “one time only” experience. There ain’t no sanctuary protection for looters here, just lots of places to bury them.

Bob

^^^^^ Wink You Da Man

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4498 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
It was reported that our fire was between 2500 and 3500 degree's., None of my windows were broken because they all melted.

Posts: 1413 | Location: Yarnell, AZ | Registered: August 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
if my math is correct my 20,000 gal pool has .12 gallons of Chlorine and that is going to produce Chlorine gas if burned?

Your right of course. We're just going have to leave it at "some nasty stuff" from your 6 ppm. Beware.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:
Two things come to mind, most high end pool owners now are using salt to maintain their pools,

“Salt water” pools are still sanitized with chlorine. The chlorine is just generated in the system via eltrolosys as it passes through the chlorine generator cell. The salt level is maintained at about 3200 ppm via the magic of the ongoing process (reuniting the Cl with the Na) and the chlorine level is usually between 4-9 ppm.

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Oh well just a thought, these fires are with us from now on and people are going to have to get with it if they plan to live in these areas. The lost of life and property is just to great.

Check out these links.....

https://www.jjsfiresupply.com/

https://fox2now.com/2018/11/12...during-woolsey-fire/

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
What about build here at your own risk and sort it out with your insurance company? That is often how it is in flood plains. If someone rebuilds in a fire prone area, and they get hit again....I don't see why public money should come into play. I dunno. Maybe that is how it is there.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Looks like there will be plenty of cleared areas to build in----everything is already burned.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post