Tools

Shipping Mess
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
Fedex delivered the other day in a small U Haul truck[/QUOTE]

One of the biggest issues now are UPS,USPS and especially Fedex are using independent contractors. Some them are under contract but many are on a spot rate basis. The trucking spot rates are higher than they have ever been right now. Most of the small to medium size companies are always chasing the highest rates and there is almost no loyalty.

I ship on average 500,00 lbs net of frozen seafood from Seattle to Sams Club, Costco, Trader Joes and many others across the country every week.

I have trucking companies that I have used for years but still have had to increase year round rates by quite a lot. My normal rate to the east coast is around $6500 to $7000. The spot rates for those loads are now easily over $10,000.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I am wondering if the stuff that got hacked up is getting left sitting there waiting for a slow day while the stuff that was ordered recently is getting shipped on time. I know they are blaming the weather but all shipping companies are affected by the same weather.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am wondering if the stuff that got hacked up is getting left sitting there waiting for a slow day while the stuff that was ordered recently is getting shipped on time.

Without a doubt Amazon plays this game. I have resisted becoming a prime member yet always select free shipping. It obviously sits in the computer before it's handled, based on other's priority. Even though Amazon has warehousing facilities in OKC. Interestingly enough, upon occasion on an order placed at the end of the month, if they are needing revenues for that month they fill it immediately!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
There is a vehicle staging area for amazon vans across the street from our airport that has hundreds of vans in it. You dont want to be on that road at 7-7.30 when they all pull out to go to the warehouses. Even with all those vans in one area, and they have dozens of them all over town, I still see the occasional personal vehicle driving slowly through the neighborhood with the trunk lid open and stopping and a vested person jumping out and running a package up to someones front door. Being a 180 billion dollar company, I seriously doubt they worry about running out of money at the end of the month.

Posts: 297 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not... LOL
My converter showed up yesterday.

I know my original post sounded like I was bashing the delivery services. And I was a little.
Not necessarily the delivery guys/gals but the system if nothing else. I know we had bad weather and power outages and I will allow for that. But my converter was shipped a week before any of that hit. My summit stuff is 1 1/2 hours away and normally is delivered the nest day, it also was ordered before the past issues. My complaint has nothing to do with weather or power outages.
But during this ordeal it seemed the left hand had no idea what the right was doing. Not to mention the non english speaking customer service guy that called me who I ignored because even after my wife and I listened to 6 times we never understood. You would think they would at least hire someone who could actually speak the language.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
In the same boat. Getting parts shipped to south Florida has been a hit and miss deal. If my local guy cannot me the parts I need reasonably I have gone to either Summit/Jegs or Amazon. I always FedEx or UPS. Anything through the USPS is a freaking joke. In the past year the USPS has lost3 orders. FedEx has come thru as promised, even Sat/Sun. UPS has only screwed up 2, both delays but delivered. Amazon has a fulfilment/distribution center 12 miles from here, its always a krap shoot. FedEx is building a new distribution warehouse center here in Port St Lucie to take pressure off of the Palm Beach center, business is that good. Go figure.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
Dave did the package actually get delivered as they promised? Tracking shows delivered yesterday.

I can tell you guys logistics are an absolute cluster right now in every sector right now. ground, air, ltl, its all over the place.

-Dalton

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 163 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Being a 180 billion dollar company, I seriously doubt they worry about running out of money at the end of the month.

Point taken, looking at the big picture. But you can bet individual warehouses, departments, etc. have performance goals they are expected to meet/exceed.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Im sure The guy who took over from Jeff when he stepped down is cracking the whip tô meet/excede, there is some pretty substantial bonuses tô bê had I bet. I heard the ex is throwing money around like its going out of style.

Posts: 297 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
Yes, it has been a mess sence the deep freeze of 2021.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 239 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Fed ex is the worst. UPS i don't have many issues with. Amazon drivers must come from Swift but get the packages here on time. Trucking has been a complete nightmare. I'm currently waiting for two full tractor trailers for 2 days because the dispatcher told me "he didn't know i really needed them ".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: T172JR,

Posts: 1625 | Location: UsA | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FTI:
Dave did the package actually get delivered as they promised? Tracking shows delivered yesterday.

I can tell you guys logistics are an absolute cluster right now in every sector right now. ground, air, ltl, its all over the place.

-Dalton

Yes, I'm impressed.. It only took almost a month to do what normally takes 4-5 days.

Thanks a bunch for your help Dalton.
I don't know if it was gonna happen anyway, but at least I credit you for getting the tracking information updated..lol

Dave

DC: I really like the new Grey shirts..

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Ordered some parts from Mark Williams on Wed, UPS showing out for delivery today Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Big Steve,

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
USPS First Class mail ordinarily 5 day delivery (Should be 3 days!) now 10 days plus.
Just another indicator of our impending third world status.

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
I've shipped 46 packages UPS Ground in the last 2 1/2 months.
One took 9 days to get to Indiana for some reason. All others have been 4,5 or 6 days going all over.
A few going to the fruits an nuts state arrived next day.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11005 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Ordered some parts from Mark Williams on Wed, UPS showing out for delivery today Big Grin

Mine arrived on Friday so only 2 days from Colorado to Ft Worth. Just about normal.
I have another that went USPS 3 day Priority mail out of Calif that shipped on Thursday, lets see how it does. Last scan was LA distribution center...

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
With the boost of online sales over the past year it has made a lot of these ups warehouses look like storage facilities. Some of the older buildings just couldn't keep up with the overflow of packages and just took forever to play catch up. Things are normally slower this time of year so it shouldn't be too bad as far as getting things to places at a reasonable time.

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Wow my 3 day priority USPS that shipped on Thursday showed up today, I am impressed Big Grin

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Yeah,
I had an Amazon next day delivery that actually made it in one day..
Considering doing a Summit order to see what happens..lol

Dave