DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    K&N Spring Fling Galot - Live Coverage and Results
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

K&N Spring Fling Galot - Live Coverage and Results
 Login/Join

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted
CLICK HERE for Live Video and Chat Page

Big Grin - Coverage starts Tuesday afternoon

K&N SPRING FLING GALOT – PRE-RACE

Ten days ago, the Spring Fling brand crowned it’s latest Million Dollar champion in Randell Reid at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. This week, the brand moves to the gorgeous Galot Motorsports Park in Dunn, North Carolina. Two years ago, the historic Dunn-Benson Dragway was completely rebuilt by new owners and it is quite a facility to see.

This week, the best bracket racers the country has known, some of who were also in Las Vegas two weeks ago, will invade Galot looking to cash in on big bucks and enjoy the Spring Fling experience. The action will begin on Tuesday with a Test & Tune session followed by an elite field of racers in the Racetech/American Race Cars Super Tuesday Dragster Shootout with both the winner and runner-up receiving a new dragster.

Wednesday the action changes to a $15,000-to-win Yukon Gear & Axle Warm-Up day while both Thursday’s Get-M Garage Day and Saturday’s Wiseco Pistons Day, the ante is upped to $20,000-to-win both days. On Thursday, another elite 32-car door car only field will vie for $10,000-to-win in the Kooks Door Car Shootout.

On Friday, the dollar values go way up to $50,000-to-win for the Strange Engineering-sponsored race day. Friday morning will also be host to the Spring Fling Reaction Time Challenge where 20 randomly selected racers could walk away with as much as $10,000 for two perfect reaction times. With just one shot at the ‘tree, any .00X reaction time earns a $100 bill, while a perfect .000 gets $1,000 and the chance to try to do it one more time. Do it again and your winnings go up to the $10,000 figure.

All of the purse is guaranteed, however it isn’t all that’s available though, as over $50,000 in round and random prizes will be awarded out of the ‘Fling’s Giveaway Treasure Chest.

While typically open to Super Pro (Box) cars, this year will highlight an exclusive 32-car Pro (No-Box) field of cars all of whom will run eliminations separate from the Super Pro field. Once a Pro class champ is crowned, he will move into the sixth round of the Super Pro field, all racing for the same huge purse.

It’s an event every bracket racer not only on the east coast but everywhere, looks forward to every year. All the action will be streamed live at MotorManiaTV.com sponsored by JEGS and Hoosier Tire with four different camera angles as only MotorManiaTV has been famous for.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DragRaceResults,

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Jeff Serra wins the Tuesday race for a dragster

Posts: 6189 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
posted Hide Post
K&N SPRING FLING GALOT – TUESDAY RESULTS

Nine years ago, co-promoters Peter Biondo and Kyle Seipel introduced their Spring Fling brand of high-dollar bracket racing to the masses. That first event in Bristol, Tennessee found the best bracket racers in not only the United States, but also Canada and Mexico, coming out in droves to support an event where fun was a key ingredient. With the Bristol event now moved to the better climate of September, it left an opening in the Spring Fling schedule which was filled with the move to Galot Motorsports Park in North Carolina.

Today began the K&N Spring Fling presented by Optima Batteries at Galot and is the first in the Spring Fling brand to limit entries by way of a pre-entry system. “The ‘Fling brand has been growing each year and we have always strived to provide our customers with the ultimate experience,” said Biondo. “In that light, we chose to limit both of our east coast events to allow for that.”

Pre-entries opened up on February 1 and within hours, the field was filled with 350 racers. While in most cases, rules are very simple and typical of most bracket events, the one rule which all ‘Fling races have adhered to is that a car can only go down the track one time per round. In essence this means that when 350 racers sign up, there will be 350 different cars, albeit in some cases drivers will enter and drive two cars.

Tuesday May 1st; or May Day, a world-wide celebration of worker’s rights, began here at Galot Motorsports Park with a Test & Tune session followed by an elite 32-car field in the Super Tuesday Racetech/American Race Cars Dragster Shootout where both the winner and runner-up receive a new dragster.

After two rounds of eliminations with eight racers left for the quarterfinal round, it was Kevin Heffington all the way in from Washington state, Jeff Serra, Jake Woodring, former ‘Fling winner Shane Maddox, Mia Tedesco, another ‘Fling winner in Don Hansen, Timmy Miller and Cameron Manuel.

Quarterfinals; Tedesco defeated Maddox; Washington’s Heffington hanging tough over a red-light by Hansen; Serra took out Miller; and Woodring defeated Manuel.

Semifinals; Tedesco turned on the red-light by -.001 to move Mr. Washington State into the final, while Serra and Woodring battled it out with Serra seeing the win light on in his lane. Both racers came back to face off as the winner received his choice of either an American Race Car or a Racetech.

And for the first final of the week, Heffington left the line first in relation to his dial-in, but it was Serra with the reaction time advantage and the win light. For his win, Serra chose to leave with the Race Tech dragster, while Heffington’s still gets to go back home to Washington with a new American Race Cars dragster.

Yukon Gear & Axle Wednesday will dawn with a $15,000-to-win race beginning at 8:30 am with a single time run followed by eliminations. Beginning with first round today all the action is streamed live thanks to JEGS and Hoosier Tire at MotorManiaTV.com. For more info and results, visit www.bracketraces.com and on Facebook.

jeff serra spring fling drag racing

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Looks like Russ Farmer, owner of Race Tech race cars, son was the winner tonight in the $15K race

Posts: 6189 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
posted Hide Post
K&N SPRING FLING GALOT – WEDNESDAY RESULTS

Day 2, but in reality, the first actual day of open eliminations at the K&N Spring Fling presented by Optima Batteries at Galot Motorsports Park. Yesterday was an open Test & Tune session followed by the Super Tuesday American Race Cars/Racetech Dragster Shootout. First up today at 8:30 was a single time shot for all competitors beginning with door cars.

One of the many innovative ideas begun by Spring Fling co-promoters Peter Biondo and Kyle Seipel was to separate door cars from dragsters. Door cars are run separate until a winner is crowned after which that person is integrated into the next round of dragsters. That one innovation is probably credited the most with the influx of door cars at high-dollar bracket racing.

New this year at the Spring Fling in Galot was the addition of the No Box class, a limited field of 32 No Box entries which are run separately in the same fashion as the Box door cars. After five separate rounds of No Box racing, the winning person is moved into the sixth round of Box cars. Today’s No Box winner was Lee Zane from Elmer, New Jersey.

Round six with 15 cars left, the remaining racers were Phillip Truitt, Nathan Lilley, Brendan George, Chad Taylor, Mike Barber, No Box winner Lee Zane, John Labbous, Jeff Dobbins II, Kellan Farmer, James DiCiacco, Marty Dabney, Brian Reklaitis, Tim Fletcher, Dan Fletcher and Harold Bell Jr. The survivors of that round were Truitt, George, Barber, Labbous, Farmer, Dabney, Tim Fletcher and Bell receiving the odd car bye, with three of the eight left door cars.

Quarterfinals and the door cars didn’t fare well. George defeated the door car of Bell; Labbous took out the door car of Barber; Farmer took out Truitt’s door car; and finally, Fletcher kept the door car hopes alive with a win over Dabney.

Semifinals; Farmer used a perfect reaction time to defeat Labbous and George ran dead on his dial with an “8” to defeat the last remaining door car of Fletcher.

For the final round, it was Farmer all the way with the reaction time advantage over George, bringing home the trophy and the $15K to his family’s business, Racetech.

“This is the first win I have ever had in a big car,” said Farmer. “I’ve won Junior races before but never in a big car. I have give my dad all the credit for teaching me everything I know about racing and business. Thanks go to him and my family for supporting me and all the glory goes to God. This is so amazing.”

Get’M Garage $20K Thursday opens with a single time run followed by eliminations for $20,000-to-win. With healthy round money in addition to over $50,000 in round prizes and random awards, as is the case at all ‘Fling events, the purse is 100-percent guaranteed. MotorManiaTV.com is also continuing to stream the entire event live as it happens thanks to sponsors Hoosier Tire and JEGS. For more info and results, visit www.bracketraces.com and on Facebook.

kellan farmer drag racer

DRR / Crew
posted Hide Post
K&N SPRING FLING GALOT – THURSDAY RESULTS

Last night’s $15K winner, Racetech Chassis’ own Kellan Farmer said, “This is so amazing,” a sentiment felt by many of the K&N Spring Fling presented by Optima Batteries entrants who made their way from over 24 states, Puerto Rico and Canada to Galot Motorsports Park in North Carolina.

For the past nine years, the Spring Fling brand has been built on five principles; a fair event; fun for the whole family; outstanding customer service; great facilities; and the best value in bracket racing. It’s those principles which have built the brand into a major event of the bracket racing year, an event win everyone wants on their resume.

Today’s event began with a time run for any new entries only followed by eliminations. The day also brought Kooks Headers Door Car Shootout where 32 randomly selected door cars will race for $10,000-to-win later in the day. Kellan Farmer will also have a bounty on his head as the person who defeats him today will earn themselves a Racepak Sportsman Data Logger. Jamie Bridge from Canada sealed that deal when he defeated Farmer in the third round of eliminations.

As for the Pro 32 class, the final round came down to last night’s Pro 32 winner Lee Zane and “Nasty Nick” Hastings with Hastings taking the reaction time advantage, the win and a $500 bonus, in addition to moving into the sixth round of the Super Pro field.

As for the main event, going into round seven found nine survivors; Mia Tedesco in with both her dragster and door car, Pro 32 winner Hastings racing off the bottom bulb, former ‘Fling winner Tommy Plott, Bob Engleman, Cody McDaniel, Jamie Bridge, Robert Volger III, and Vince Shrawder. As for the round itself, Tedesco and her door car took the odd car bye run in addition to moving forward into round eight with her dragster. Plott, Engleman, and Shrawder all survived.

Round eight and Tedesco received the odd car bye run with her dragster to move her into the semifinals. Meanwhile in her door car against Engleman, it was Engleman with the better package to move into the semis. And lastly, Plott made his move for another ‘Fling win when he defeated Shrawder. By virtue of that win and his reaction time, Plott will also receive the semifinal round bye to move him to the final round with his door car against either Tedesco and her dragster or Engleman.

In that semi, Engleman missed the ‘tree with an .058 reaction time while Tedesco used an .011 and a 4.775 on a 4.75 dial to end Engleman’s run. Plott took his bye run and we had a door car versus dragster final.

Plott and Tedesco, door car versus dragster for $20,000. Only three-thousandths of a second separated them off the starting line, but it was the dragster of Tedesco turning on the win light. With two entries still left in at five cars, Tedesco was definitely staying focused between driving two entirely different types of car. “I had a lot of fun today,” she said, “and I think it helped me to stay focused plus my crew did a great job taking care of the cars. We decided to take a break from racing NHRA and do more bracket racing and this is a great event to win and race at. It’s like a well-oiled machine.”

Still to be completed was the Kooks Headers Door Car Shootout. In the semifinals, Bryson Scruggs defeate d John Lassiter and Bill Groton III took out Paul Warwick. For the final, Scruggs had a perfect reaction time but it was Groton and his four-door, column shifted Pontiac taking the $10,000 win.

Friday will begin with the Spring Fling Reaction Time Challenge followed by the Strange Engineering-sponsored race with an increased $50,000 to the winner. The JEGS and Hoosier Tire sponsored live feed by MotorManiaTV.com continues throughout the event. For more info and results, visit www.bracketraces.com and on Facebook.

mia tedesco drag racer

DRR / Crew
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the final, Scruggs had a perfect reaction time but it was Groton and his four-door, column shifted Pontiac taking the $10,000 win.

bill groton drag racer

DRR / Crew
posted Hide Post
K&N SPRING FLING GALOT – FRIDAY RESULTS

First up on Strange Engineering Friday were seven lucky racers who turned on a .00X reaction time in the Spring Fling Reaction Time Challenge, each receiving a crisp $100 bill for their efforts. Twenty random racers were chosen for the chance and just those seven; Mark Pittman, Todd Osting, Kent Hanley, Rocky Pintavalle, Kale Hoffman and Troy Williams; were able to escape with some Spring Fling cash before the day even got started.

Tonight was also the Sparco Racer Appreciation Barbeque with cooking by famed Chef Anthony (Bertozzi), fresh off his Super Stock win at the NHRA Four-Wide Nationals last weekend. As is always the case and following one of the ‘Fling’s principles; fun for the whole family; the night provided face painting and a magic show for the little ones and maybe even some of the big ones too.

With no time trials today, eliminations for $50,000-to-win began bright and early with the bounty, a set of Wiseco Pistons, placed on last night’s winner, Mia Tedesco. John Labbous was the recipient of that award when he bested Miss Mia in the very first round today.

With an extra $1,000 on the line going to the Pro 32 No Box class survivor, the final consisted of Seth Phillips and Kevin Pollard with Pollard taking the win and moving into round six of the main event along with the added cash.

Round seven consisted of Million Dollar man Jeff Verdi taking out Dennis Helman. Pollard hanging tough off the bottom bulb to defeat Steve Dweck. Carol McCarty defeating Larry Martin, Dalton Pearsall taking out Clayton Roberts and Don Kosanka with the odd car bye run.

Quarterfinal round survivors were Pollard, Verdi and Pearsall, representatives from the three different classes run this weekend; No Box (Pollard), door cars (Verdi) and Pearsall the lone dragster left. In the Pollard versus Kosanka match-up, another Spring Fling innovation, TruSTART, changed the outcome. Leaving first, Pollard was -.001 red which typically would have advanced Kosanka. Unfortunately for Kosanka, he was -.012 red which handed the win to Pollard.

In the semifinals, both Pollard and Verdi had prior bye runs which left Pearsall to take the odd car bye. Verdi then used a 10-pack (.010 reaction time and dead-on the dial with a “0”) to not give Pollard much room, moving the two-time Million Dollar Race winner into the final against Pearsall.

For the final, neither racer was giving anything to the other as Pearsall left the line with a .001 reaction time, while Verdi wasn’t far behind with his own .003. But it was Pearsall running closer to his dial to earn himself his very first big trailer check.

One more day left, Wiseco Pistons Saturday, just another $20K-to-win race. MotorManiaTV.com has been broadcasting the entire event from start of day until winner’s circle celebrations thanks to sponsors JEGS and Hoosier Tires. Visit www.bracketraces.com for results, info and a link to the live feed

dalton pearsall drag racer spring fling

DRR Sportsman
Picture of speedwrench44
posted Hide Post
Motor Mania coverage 1000X better than the Vegas million
Thanks Jegs and Hooser and all the rest of the sponsors

Dave

Posts: 260 | Location: Heldnfelt, Texas | Registered: December 10, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
want everyone of you MT slick to look at the above pics---at least 4 of the 5 winners were on Hoosiers----I can't read the first one but that is Witherows car and he sells Hoosiers. Interesting

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Nothing interesting about it.

The Facts and the Truth is that Hoosier tires win more bracket races every week than all others at tracks all across the country.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
The 4 Door Pontiac was my favorite car Big Grin I thought I saw true start working. Am I correct? Looked like a very well run race. Smile

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The 4 Door Pontiac was my favorite car Big Grin I thought I saw true start working. Am I correct? Looked like a very well run race. Smile

Yes you saw true start. Kyle and Peter are the ones who started using it.

Posts: 433 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
want everyone of you MT slick to look at the above pics---at least 4 of the 5 winners were on Hoosiers----I can't read the first one but that is Witherows car and he sells Hoosiers. Interesting

I'm a Hoosier guy and don't care what anyone else runs, but the top decal at the rear of the Serra car appears to be M/T.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Agreed...that does seem to be a M/T sticker.

As is may appear, Ed seems to believe the Hoosier does all the winning...no truth and facts to back up any of that information.

Congrats to all the finalists!

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
your words not mine.

I stated more not all...

"Hoosier tires win more bracket races every week than all others at tracks all across the country"

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:

Mr Everywhere

So additional information for you and all concerned about tires!

1)The weather was absolutely awesome all week and very consistent from day to day.
2) The track prep was Class A!
3) Due to both above I have never seen a more consistent race track over 5 days of racing, ever!
4) If your combo was not consistent under these conditions even switching to MT tires wouldn't help you,,, LMAO!
5) The most popular tire run on dragsters at this race were both Big and Little Babba's.
6) For good reason, MT's owns the fast dragsters! Hoosier has still not been able to produce a Bubba equivalent to date after a few years of trying, this is not my opinion either - right from a Hoosier rep himself! GY also!

This is not to say either Hoosier or GY are junk tires or that anyone running them won't or can't win using them.

And BTW he also sells MT's too... Does that change anything???

Maybe I will see you somewhere since your everywhere,,, LOL!

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I don't care whose tires you prefer, but you should all be thankful that there is at least more than one other brand slick (or any other part we use for that matter) available. Did you ever think about what would happen to the price of any of the products we buy if you DID manage to convince the whole racing community to switch and there was no competition??? Your passion & brand loyalty is adorable, but I'll take some good old free-market competitive pricing any day!!!

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 625 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Top38 I was at Galot, sorry I didn't see you. And I was only pointing out what the pics show, not condemning anyones choice.

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure M/T won most of Vegas at the fling...I know Bogacki and Reid are on M/T...not that it matters. Tires do not win races good combinations and drivers win races. I bet M/T is as commonly used as Hoosier.

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post