DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Tracks making safety announcements
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tracks making safety announcements
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted
Seems to be a lot of tracks suddenly taking an interest in safety requirements. I've seen tracks in my area suddenly being concerned in people wearing helmets while going down the track. Tracks even requiring helmets no matter the speed or ET of the car. Tracks even watching for removal of safety equipment too soon.
I always wondered why they never enforce the one safety rule where someone's negligence can harm others like no neutral safety switch. I'd say every year at every track there is an incidence where a car starts in gear.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Careful they might make those switches SFI approved and expire every 2 yrs.

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I was at Darlington this past week and never heard a peep about saftey.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
I was at Darlington this past week and never heard a peep about saftey.

It's been FB posts from tracks especially here in E TN where Lucas McKinney raced. Bristol was the latest. They posted they'll be watching for anyone removing their safety gear before the turnout.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have yet to be on face book soooo! It would make good sense to announce such things at the track don't you think?

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
They posted they'll be watching for anyone removing their safety gear before the turnout.

Nothing like a good old fashion threat to boost one's hobby experience. But, bide your time, this too shall pass.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2331 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have yet to be on face book soooo! It would make good sense to announce such things at the track don't you think?

I'm old too but it's the only way you're going to get info from tracks. Flyers today are digital, they don't put them in store windows or staple them to telephone poles.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
quote:

I'm old too but it's the only way you're going to get info from tracks. Flyers today are digital, they don't put them in store windows or staple them to telephone poles.

So true. Gotta get with the times.

Also there is a Bracket racer with a popular Youtube channel that runs his belts pretty loose!

Posts: 287 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm the odd man out here. But hasn't the expectation ALWAYS been that safety gear is worn properly and for as long as you are on the racing surface with rare exceptions?
Is facebook needed to know this is an expectation? Is it an unpleasant threat regarding our hobby when they are simply requiring that we do what was always expected? Is the pushback coming from tracks that allow dragster drivers to wear sweatpants?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6376 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
So true. Gotta get with the times.

Can't / won't argue with that. But who among us knows everything in today's digital world? If you're missing a significant portion of "your" demographic how appropriate is it? They say the preferred advertising age range is 18-34, if so then FB is spot on. However the age revelations brought forth on the SS and Medicare threads suggest a large percentage of drag racing participants aren't necessarily FB savoy. On one hand your will for sure fail if you don't adapt but knowing your customer will always be valid too. Just an observation.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2331 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I totally understand what you mean, but I know some people are so resistant to adapting and changing that it turns into spite.

If you want to be in the know about bracket events, then get Facebook. Promoters aren't going to mail a letter.

Posts: 287 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Even if you are on Facebook, with their algorithms, you may not even see a lot of things.
They choose what they "think" you should see and censor what they don't want you to see.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Maybe I'm the odd man out here. But hasn't the expectation ALWAYS been that safety gear is worn properly and for as long as you are on the racing surface with rare exceptions?
Is facebook needed to know this is an expectation? Is it an unpleasant threat regarding our hobby when they are simply requiring that we do what was always expected? Is the pushback coming from tracks that allow dragster drivers to wear sweatpants?

That's the rule Bucky. Always has been. But without anyone watching and paying attention people get too comfortable. Remember Greg??? So do some tracks. Things happen when you least expect it.

Track rules should be readily available at the track (copies) for all to read. Some/Most don't use Space Book and that should not be considered the best form of communication IMO.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4475 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
One track announced $100 fine if you get caught removing helmet/belts before turnout.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Try collecting that!

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Try collecting that!

They said you don't race again until you pay

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
quote:
Try collecting that!

They said you don't race again until you pay

There ya go! And you can’t race till you pay and follow direction.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4475 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
Years ago I went kicking and screaming into the digital age...now I am glad I did...all tracks have all but given up on getting their info out the old fashion way...they all use social media now, FB being the most popular...I opened a FB account a long time ago since I saw the writing on the wall....I got tired of missing out on the latest info...guess what...nothing happened when I opened the FB account...the world kept turning and my life was the same except I became more informed...

I am one of those old ****s at 75 so if I can do it, anyone can...don't be afraid to get with the program and above all don't be stubborn about it...

Posts: 1275 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I turned 81 yesterday and my life has been just fine without face book. I have several friends that also don't participate. Yes we may miss some things but on the subject of races and race tracks, they also miss our participation as well as many others. Lots of track info on a tracks personal web site that never sees face book---if they HAVE a web site. I have a pretty full life so I just don't miss what I miss.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Fern, I like you have no use for facebook. When I decided to pretty much drop Fakebook it took some discipline to not go back. Its nothing more than a gigantic waste of time, almost like DRR. My use of this site is for tech and pizzing of Ed. Laughing Hard Tracks today do not have the same dedication to serving the racer as they did in my younger days. Witness tracks such as PBIR, Memphis, Maple Grove and more. Great facilities but really crummy management. At 73 I've just about seen it all (you and Floyd) got me beat there but until I'm room temp I'm not quitting. Now back to the shop, the transmission is not going to put itself in the race car.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post