DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Vehicle extended warranties
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vehicle extended warranties
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I bought one of those warranties...it was bumper to bumper or so they said...I told the salesman that if they denied my first claim we would have trouble...the first 30 days was a grace period and on day 35 I had an issue...they refused to pay based on some obscure fine print...

Like I told them I went to war...I disputed the denial and requested a cancellation of the policy at the same time...I ended up getting my Visa card in on the deal and they got the warranty cancelled and got me a full refund...

The repairs the dealership said I needed for $3400 I got done by my mechanic for $408....Platinum bumper to bumper policy my azz...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Banjo-How many miles are on it? Does it have a goose neck or fifth wheel in it. Also I would call USAA up and ask them about warranty coverage. How many miles a year will you use it? I have been a used car dealer for over 30 yrs. I have some experience in this stuff.

Truck has just under 10k miles on it and it is set up for gooseneck. Plan on upgrading the trailer next year. I expect to put around 10k miles on it a year. I will give usaa a call in the morning.

Thanks

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Don't waste your money. Take the $5,000 and put it in an investment account, you'll be ahead of the game. Years ago my company looked into selling warranties (auto), risk, rewards, expenses, etc. It became very apparent early on that the #'s, exclusions were stacked in the warranty companies favor. Why, warranties are backed by insurance companies who's risk assessment liabilities determine how much to charge, based on how much risk they are willing to assume. Guess where they stand. Read the fine print at the end of the contract. As my college professor once stated 'what the big print giveth the fine print taketh away'.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also I would call USAA up and ask them about warranty coverage.

Footloose, does USAA offer extended warranty coverage for vehicles? If so, is it a fair deal?
I have had my auto coverage with them for over 10 years, and did not know that...

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Just check in with USAA, they do not offer anything as of right now. But that may change in the future.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Some times they can help steer you in the right direction. Its all a big risk. If it was me I would put 5K in a FDIC account even though the interest sucks. Save it for truck repairs only. If you never use it in 10 yrs. you will be ahead. Most people are gonna upgrade there trucks every 5-7 yrs. anyway. Do all the maintenance your self and know it was done right. Do you really want some rookie changing your oil etc? Cause thats who will do it. What ever you choose to do should work out fine. Smile You will love the dually-the stability makes it worth it to me. Smile

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Keith Richards 768Q
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:
quote:
Banjo-How many miles are on it? Does it have a goose neck or fifth wheel in it. Also I would call USAA up and ask them about warranty coverage. How many miles a year will you use it? I have been a used car dealer for over 30 yrs. I have some experience in this stuff.

Truck has just under 10k miles on it and it is set up for gooseneck. Plan on upgrading the trailer next year. I expect to put around 10k miles on it a year. I will give usaa a call in the morning.

Thanks

Since it is a Chevy email Todd at MacMulkin Chevy, He is in NH for a GMEPP warranty, did this on our Corvette a few months back after shopping around and he was dirt cheap and great service. todds@thompsonauto.net

Posts: 239 | Location: Windsor, CA. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Explain how much warranty is left on motor and trans? I think I missed something. Most trucks like you bought are gonna have the worst problems in the first 5K miles or nothing happens. You are well known for taking good care of your stuff and I am the same way. Many others on this sight the same way. When you are putting 50-60k a yr. on the truck going to work every year I would have said yes to the warranty. I am gonna use ED for an example here about buying nice trucks. I think Ed does not want a Dually on long car pool trips and Hi toll fees. He says he puts about 45-50K a year commuting to work. A dually would be extra expense. Totally meets his needs. You with 10 k yr. driving its cheaper maintenance and toll booths Its not always the easiest try to find a place to park a 4dr. dually,I know. I hope I did not make ED mad about using him as an example as to when a dually is just not feasible. Banjo you need a small living quarters put in the trailer. If Moma aint happy NO body is happy. I hope you enjoy what you worked hard for.You deserve it Smile

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
I NEVER buy extended warranties on anything. My excrutiating experience with a home warranty that was part of the deal when I bought my house proved that my decision to never buy additional warranties is a good one.

My advice is if you don't think a purchase will meet expectations buy something different/better that will meet expectations.

I have enough red tape in my life without having to deal with some 2nd rate 3rd party because they won't meet their obligations.

Have you ever spent $5k in repairs on a vehicle? Every vehicle you've ever owned?

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input,

I have decided against the extended warranty.

I look last truck, 15 years, 175k miles, other than regular maintenance, I think I did a water pump and a power steering pump. Spent nowhere near 5k.

Plus when I requested the actual warranty in writing, the dealer never responded.

Thanks again!

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Read the warranty statements. They all almost always have the word "limited" preceding the word "warranty".

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
If it makes you feel any better about your choice. I watched a 2500 series duramax with a big lift kit and tires out run the police doing 127 MPH Laughing Hard They must be pretty tough. When he ran into a house though-game over. Laughing Hard

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:

I look last truck, 15 years, 175k miles, other than regular maintenance, I think I did a water pump and a power steering pump. Spent nowhere near 5k.

Bingo!

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
I did the extended bumper to bumper to 100k for an additional 2500 bucks on my new 2011 2500 HD Duramax. During the first 4 years I had 17 service calls for everything from glow plugs, injectors, def system, fuel filter housing and a wheel sensor. All covered under factory warranty. After the factory warranty ran out I had one issue with a TCM that was replaced for the $250 deductible. Both warranties have run out now and I haven't had a single other issue. All my problems were within the first 50,000 miles and 5 years.

Posts: 4815 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Factory extended warranties are the best. They use new factory parts. The aftermarket warranties put used parts on the cars they cover

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post