DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    world's fastest stock oval port bbc head?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

world's fastest stock oval port bbc head?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted
Who claims to have the world's fastest BBC stock oval port head? 496 largest allowed. Do not care about aftermarket ones. This may become a target I want to shoot for. I am sort of a purist I still run stock iron casting heads on my BBC. I have a set of Ovals with lots of work. More to go. I like 781 and 049 I think is the correct numbers.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The 215 semi closed chamber head that I ran is better, faster, makes more power, despite all the magazine coverage of Lingenfelter’s claims decades ago that has been perpetuated by those that believe everything they read.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Who claims to have the world's fastest BBC stock oval port head? 496 largest allowed. Do not care about aftermarket ones. This may become a target I want to shoot for. I am sort of a purist I still run stock iron casting heads on my BBC. I have a set of Ovals with lots of work. More to go. I like 781 and 049 I think is the correct numbers.

Engine builder in Terre Haute made 1100+ N/A for a tractor puller with those, not that many cubes if I remember correctly. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1622 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Only problem I ever had with 049 is they would crack in the chamber between the valves easily. I had no issues with 781's.

Posts: 4815 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Will the 215 head fit open chamber style pistons?

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
no

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I was 90% sure it would not. Thanks for answering.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Do not try to convert closed chamber to open chamber either. Locl racer tried that against advice and result was heavy piece of scrap metal.If not for idiot screwing up perfectly good head it would be funny as he11.

Been looking for old set of oval ports for a street truck I have and hard to find any that are not total junk or asking more for them then new set of after market heads.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about a 454 or 489-96 cube BBC. in a S10. My realistic goal is 5.90's. My Nova weighs right at 3800 with me. Its BBC iron heads full interior all glass all steel even the hood. I am not cutting this car up. Had it about 36 yrs. Now I could cut an S10 up in a minute Big Grin With a BBC I think I could get it to 3200 lbs. Big Grin The world fastest oval port is more than likely a stocker or superstocker. Maybe a set of 15K heads Eek