New
Find
Notify
Tools

RANT No. 6,234,012
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Here we go. Parking at national events is handled by a very capable NHRA staff. There are times when it takes hours to get racers in and parked. Not that I’m looking to get rid of any of the parking personal but I just wonder why it’s necessary? Why can’t “they” tell us, “Guys, this is how much room you have, have at it.”

https://dragracingedge.com/the...o-6-234-012-5-22-19/

Posts: 154 | Location: Beaver Springs, PA | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
You answered your own question....NHRA...

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Lucky Scott Hudson
posted Hide Post
Make a space, put a number on it and then tell us... "You got space 14"
That would work just fine for me.

Posts: 1199 | Location: So Cal | Registered: March 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Scott Hudson:
Make a space, put a number on it and then tell us... "You got space 14"
That would work just fine for me.

This. Some folks will just spread out like they own the place regardless of what you tell them. If you specify, you have a better chance that they will comply.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Dirt Dobber had the best idea. Go by grade points. Eight grade points and above get to park first, seven is next and so on. Just a thought!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
One of the good ideas might be grade points, but they might have the points but can't get there as early and saving spaces for them would be a nightmare. I don't care when I get there but I wish when you get there and you have slideouts that you keep them in your designated pit space, not put the hauler and trailer on the line and then open the slides, Not kool. Most of the time I go by myself and I don't open my living room slide but do open the bedroom slide and I give room in my space for it to open in my space.

Posts: 30 | Location: Delaware | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If you go by grade points, how do you stage everyone? Set up appointments? Like someone said, maybe you can't get there first thing, so what happens then? I think the WORST thing you can do it treat some folks like second class citizens because of their standing. They are paying the same money as everyone else.
Maybe the cost of getting in should be split up into entry, and pit space. Smaller space requirements/pit spaces cost less than large ones with extra vehicles. Pay for what you use as they say.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Lots of ideas being thrown out on this one.

If you are going to give the best pit spots to those with the most grading points,then maybe consider giving the best pit spots to how many points you had the previous year? A guy that finished number 40 in the world should get a better pit spot than a guy with 8 grading points.(In my opinion).

Smaller rigs should get a better pit spot OR a discount on entry also.

Regardless,I always park where the NHRA official tells me and don't argue about it.

I remember a race several years ago where a Super Stock racer was refusing to park in the pit space given,because he thought it was a bad spot.

Next thing you know,he got picked for teardown and had to pull a rod/piston.(Nobody else got tore down)

He passed,but surely created a lot of extra work for himself.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
They have enough trouble getting them parked in order when there is a # shoe polished on your window. Smile Parking by grade point in D1 would be impossible.
Parking was much easier when we all came with crew cabs and 24' trailers rather than 4 slide 45' buses pulling a 30' stacker with 3 racecars, 6 golf carts and an Escalade to take to dinner.

Posts: 109 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
These NHRA races sound like a blast. Smile

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Obviously I’m talking about stacking, not parking. Should have made that distinction.

You show up let’s say Wednesday to stack, there’s 8 lines.

You have 6 grade points you’re in line 6, you have 4, same deal.

You show up late the day of actual parking too bad.

Phoenix was a cluster and so was Denver last year. A free for all starts at 5 am or whatever. Sorry but that’s BS.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
AZ got it right. And don't forget, got to get you in the right order for the event "thieves" to hit you when everyone in your line goes up to run

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bucky:
These NHRA races sound like a blast. Smile[/QUOTE

^^^^^^

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Good morning all.
As to Factory Stock.
I personally like the class 3600 LBS bullets going down the track.
I do believe the class is already out of control for sure. But it cannot go back and start over.
I would say for safety concerns, allowing a Slightly larger rear tire should be in the near future. Maybe a 10.5" or even 11" tire should be considered. How many cars have already been crashed, how many more will be crashed?
Does someone need to get seriously injured before something is done.

Cal SST/1177
just a 1st rd duck looking for a win!!!

Posts: 46 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: November 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I think the reason for parking staff being needed is that if told where to park 95 percent of the racers would do what they were asked and cooperate. Its the 5% who would do what they pleased that would jam up the pit area and present the problem.

The small rig thing is interesting too. As someone with a 28ft tag and a pickup its worked to my benefit and against me at times. A couple years ago at the epping national even when things were wet they were running out of parking. I was stacked way back in line. I had an official come to me and offer a spot that he said no one in front of me would have a chance of getting into but he thought I could. It worked out perfect and we had just enough room.

On the flip side Ive also been asked to squeeze in a few times even though I arrived early because I could get into places that other rigs couldn't. I will usually agree as long as its not unreasonable. When I was told I had to disconnect my truck and park it down the road because the spot was so tight I had to draw the line. Aside from that it usually works That was a divisional not a national too.

B.J. Masiello

Posts: 250 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post