DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Palm Beach IHRA track for sale Confirmed
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Palm Beach IHRA track for sale Confirmed
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted
A friend just emailed me saying IHRA sold PBIR and Memphis to Walmart, for warehouse space. No link to legit public disclosure or anything I could find with a web search.
Could be bs or real.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: adv ET 266,

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
last sales history I have of MIR was 1/31/11 where Moroso purchased it for $2,062,000. Maybe it ain't been updated yet.

It wouldn't surpise me if Wal-Mart did buy it. They have more buying power than anyone I know, aside from the federal government.

Posts: 104 | Location: Il,IL | Registered: March 22, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I think IHRA owns 5 tracks and a investment group owns IHRA. Anyone that understands investment groups knows that one of the things they do is sell physical assets. Their only interest is making money. Not drag racing. Hope this is a rumor.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good cause for storming the local Walmart for more china garbage I don't need, to impress people I don't like, with money I don't have.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I hope it is rumor as well...the IHRA who owns 5 tracks is owned by an investment group called IRG...three partners...they make their real money in commercial real estate...PBIR has lost money since the day they bought it...Sue Moroso was revamping the entire track and was 90% done when she sold it to IRG...after that purchase they bought the entire IHRA and four other tracks...

Posts: 1275 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I do know that some years ago Walmart was rumored to be buying Orlando Speedworld Dragway...turned out to be false...just sayin'...

Posts: 1275 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Jeff Miles was just sent to Memphis to try an turn things around...so I’d be surprised if it has sold

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
Jeff Miles was just sent to Memphis to try an turn things around...so I’d be surprised if it has sold

I was in Memphis for World Finals last October and was impressed with how well race ran. I did not run a regular race there so was unaware of issues. I ran at Jackson when Mr. Miles was there and it was solid.

Being local to PBIR, they sent me to World Finals last year and I hope they stay open. We need track. I was very happy to see Immokalee make investment to keep track going. I like running IHRA tracks, have been treated fine by NHRA tracks good too.

Posts: 3078 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Sunshine was IHRA sanctioned a few years in the early mid 2000's, I rode up to Carolina Dragway for bracket finals one year, record numbers of cars in the race.

I couldn't believe how smooth the race was run. IHRA brought their own timing equipment too, installed it in the AM, and ran who knows how many cars down the track. Laughed joked, everyone had a good time. Why Sunshine/Bradenton went back NHRA is beyond me.

Good atmosphere to be in IHRA.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muggs:
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:

I was in Memphis for World Finals last October and was impressed with how well race ran. I did not run a regular race there so was unaware of issues. I ran at Jackson when Mr. Miles was there and it was solid.

Being local to PBIR, they sent me to World Finals last year and I hope they stay open. We need track. I was very happy to see Immokalee make investment to keep track going. I like running IHRA tracks, have been treated fine by NHRA tracks good too.

We have been at the world finals the last two seasons, and I agree with how well the race is run. However, they do lean on leadership from other tracks and IHRA to put on that race. It's a dream of a race the way it is run.
The facility, as nice as it is, is getting run down badly. The grounds aren't nicely kept. I wondered why no food was offered at the concession stand, and heard there were health department issues. Just needs good money influx and the leadership to use it where needed it seems. I don't know what their weekly and regular programs are like and how well they are attended.
Oh, the IHRA staff was super nice and they just made that race a delight.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6377 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I think what it is that makes IHRA officials a delight to work with is, not only are they knowledgeable on grassroots racing, and how to run a grassroots race, with lots of cars.

IHRA officials also identify with the grassroots racer.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

IHRA officials also identify with the grassroots racer.

And that is true.
Most everyone I know at IHRA either still do or have bracket raced.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3304 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I agree with the positive comments about IHRA racing.
From tech to staging to starter, their guys seem just as knowledgeable as the NHRA guys, but without an attitude. Never have they given me the impression we should feel "privileged" to run one of their events. On the contrary, they seem like they are on the side of the racer, not against them. Wink (As with any generalized comments, not an absolute. Racing NHRA events at Bandimere in Denver is always great, because of the people who run the track. Some of the best).

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1033 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Why would WalMart want PBIR, it's 20 miles from anywhere.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of willys1191
posted Hide Post
I to was at the IHRA world finals last October and must say with all the stuff going on in the world at the time I believe the IHRA did the best they could have for the hand they were dealt. It was my understanding from talking with one of the IHRA official that the Memphis facility was in a run down state because that was only the second race held there all of last year because of the local health department.
I felt they made the best out of a bad situation and did a great job running the program. The IHRA officials and staff were super friendly and made you feel like they were there for the racer.

Posts: 66 | Location: Enola, Pa | Registered: August 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
IRG don't care one bit about the condition of those tracks. Won't spend a dime more than they have to on upkeep and when the right offer comes they will sell. Count on it.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
IRG don't care one bit about the condition of those tracks. Won't spend a dime more than they have to on upkeep and when the right offer comes they will sell. Count on it.

You could say the exact same thing about NHRA and Atlanta Dragway.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
NHRA is a non-profit. I have always wondered how you "sell" one of those or their assets.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
NHRA is a non-profit. I have always wondered how you "sell" one of those or their assets.
NON PROFIT....yeah boy....

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:

You know, I agree with what you say. But our local track is IRG owned, and just from what I have heard, there have been two interested parties try to buy it. Either they couldn't come to an agreeable number, or (what I heard) is that IRG just wasn't interested in selling. That's hearsay though. That facility is NOT getting more valuable today as a race track anyhow. Not prime farm land.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6377 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post