DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Palm Beach IHRA track for sale Confirmed
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Palm Beach IHRA track for sale Confirmed
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
Thats a great ending to a sad situation. I hope the new bldg(s) sinks into the sippy hole.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
Is a shame to see any track go. Raced there in 80's on a dragbike until quit to raose family. Good memories there over the years. Wish nothing but the best for staff and crew.

We will continue racing at Immokalee and Bradenton. Both have treated us very well. Have not run at Orlando yet but may at some point.

I am retired and we have capacity to do whatever we want. May even head into Carolinas this summer to run there. I ran car at Mooresville and had a blast after IHRA World Finals in 2020.

Time moves on, demographics change. We will race till too old or tracks too far. Only another 2 years and oldest grandson will be able to race.

Posts: 3079 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
I raced PBIR (then Moroso Motorsports Park) from 1983-86 while living in Broward County with my parents. My daily driver 71 Nova went 15.70's at 90mph after adding headers and a 4-bbl to the stock 307. Went there a couple of times 2009-2012 to race Super Chevy & Citrus Nationals. Good times...sure doesn't seem like nearly 40 years ago...

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
As a first good start, The zoning board voted unanimously 9-0 to not approve the zoning change from entertainment to industrial.
First step is a win.
Next meeting is the County commissioners, which historically voted with the zoning recommendation, but you never know.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
It’s not over. Read this:
https://ongardens.org/2022/04/...arehouse-conversion/

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12167 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I have my fingers and toes crossed but I am also a realist...sadly, from what I hear, even if Portman is not successful in their approval process, IRG will close the track anyway...I doubt there is a person on earth that is willing to pay what IRG is asking and make it work as a drag strip...the numbers just do not add up...now if some gazillionaire is willing to buy it and lose money every month running the drag strip, yay!...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
IRG dismantled IHRA. It was so sad to see them destroy ProAm and NitroJam racing, as well as the bracket finials as most in Fla enjoyed. These suits could give to ****s about Motorsport and the racing community.
Maybe a rich motorsports enthusiast will buy the track and NHRA will bring back a great program. It’s a stretch, but who knows and it’s a good wish.
Remember they own other IHRA tracks and they will have a similar fate.

4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12167 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:

While that's true for Memphis, Maryland and Cordova have already been sold to people who are keeping them as dragstrips. Jeff Miles tried to buy Memphis, but was outbid.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5731 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Beard:
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:

While that's true for Memphis, Maryland and Cordova have already been sold to people who are keeping them as dragstrips. Jeff Miles tried to buy Memphis, but was outbid.

As I understand, Portman purchased Memphis out from under the group that was going to buy it and keep it a racetrack.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2423 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I have been trying to let folks down easy but the latest statement by IRG makes it perfectly clear the track is finished...the Portman zoning issue is of no consequence...even if that contract fails, no track operator in this world can afford to pay what the property is now worth and run a race track profitably...I hate it but so long PBIR...by the way, IRG is selling off the fixtures already...BMP bought the stands a couple of weeks ago...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Some of you folks down there that know Randy Larson might ask him what I advised him when that group bought the track.

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Has to be painful for local racers that historically refused to travel to other great regional tracks.

4.629@149
7.310@185

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Maybe they'll start building electric cars there. Or maybe a windmill farm or solar energy farm.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
What is Mike Dunn's situation now? I read that he was a senior consultant with IHRA?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6402 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Randy Larson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Some of you folks down there that know Randy Larson might ask him what I advised him when that group bought the track.

Yes you did, and that warning was right on target.

Foot brake racers think "outside the box"

Posts: 1742 | Location: Pompano Beach, FL | Registered: June 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
What is Mike Dunn's situation now? I read that he was a senior consultant with IHRA?

I think he is retired. His position at IHRA did'nt last long..

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuzzy dice:
I have been trying to let folks down easy but the latest statement by IRG makes it perfectly clear the track is finished...the Portman zoning issue is of no consequence...even if that contract fails, no track operator in this world can afford to pay what the property is now worth and run a race track profitably...I hate it but so long PBIR...by the way, IRG is selling off the fixtures already...BMP bought the stands a couple of weeks ago...

Still a few ways it can go. Movable fixtures not withstanding. IRR has a shed on top of a container for a tower, and it has served them well for 15+ years, running 3-400 cars on a winter series event. A group that can purchase the track and land can afford some new stands.

1. Portman gets no zoning change and bails. slim
2. Portman gets no zoning change and builds on a reduced scale of what is allowed.
3. Portman gets no zoning change and builds on a reduced scale, waits a year or so for a new zoning advisory committee, gets a zoning change and builds more buildings.
4. Portman lobbies every palm beach politician (which is not illegal) and makes promises of installing a traffic signal and intersection improvements at their expense, offers some kind of land swap for some obscure "public park" and offers to pay for a few miles of 710 road widening west of the property.
5.IRG/IRGSE/TPG/First Street Financial hires a demolition contractor and applies for a demolition permit to clear the property that they already own and clears the land of all buildings and obstructions.

I'll bet on #5 myself.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad News:
quote:
Originally posted by fuzzy dice:

Still a few ways it can go. Movable fixtures not withstanding. IRR has a shed on top of a container for a tower, and it has served them well for 15+ years, running 3-400 cars on a winter series event. A group that can purchase the track and land can afford some new stands.

1. Portman gets no zoning change and bails. slim
2. Portman gets no zoning change and builds on a reduced scale of what is allowed.
3. Portman gets no zoning change and builds on a reduced scale, waits a year or so for a new zoning advisory committee, gets a zoning change and builds more buildings.
4. Portman lobbies every palm beach politician (which is not illegal) and makes promises of installing a traffic signal and intersection improvements at their expense, offers some kind of land swap for some obscure "public park" and offers to pay for a few miles of 710 road widening west of the property.
5.IRG/IRGSE/TPG/First Street Financial hires a demolition contractor and applies for a demolition permit to clear the property that they already own and clears the land of all buildings and obstructions.

I'll bet on #4 and #5 myself.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Im not going to bet against you.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post