DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Why do some dragsters stage with the wheel crooked
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do some dragsters stage with the wheel crooked
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I’ve been bored like everyone else and watching a lot of motormaniaTV. Why do some of these dragsters flicker the stage bulb with the wheel turned. I just don’t see an advantage here. But I’ve been wrong quite a bit in my life.... Tip PC

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
That way we know exactly where we are in the beams

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Ask Johnny Ezell

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:

Can you explain what you mean? How does that help?

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Ask Johnny Ezell

Ohh NO... Here we go again Big Grin

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:

Can you explain what you mean? How does that help?

It's a way to know exactly or as lose to exactly as you can to be stage in the same spot every time. In a perfect world if you stage in the same spot and let go of the transbrake button the same every time you can set the delay box so you get the reaction time you want. It's just eliminating a variable.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My best guess is boredom.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I think its just to make door car guys ask questions.

Must be working .LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Might ask those that have timed out or red lighted because of that blinking light Big Grin

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It's old as the hills. I had a guy try it on me in the mid 2000's. When it backfired he ran to tower for Kleenex. They gave him some Kleenex and we re-ran it. I cracked him again like an egg.

No big deal

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Might ask those that have timed out or red lighted because of that blinking light Big Grin

What he said.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:

Yep, play stupid games win stupid prizes. If people would just stage they would never get timed out because of this tactic

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
About 4 years ago pretty big bracket race I get down to 5 cars. When I went to stage one of my lights flickered. Anyway I win the round and it got me a Bye run into the Final. After I get back to trailer I get a visit from the track manager. The guy I beat said I was cheating. I ended up having to run him again and lost the second time and that guy Won the race. After it was over the manager came back and apologized they found an ant bed under the staging lights and it was just getting high enough to random cause problem.
As for turning the wheel in the staging lights there was some threads on this in the past and it is a dirty trick some have used to start the time clocks. Some of lower morals and standards said it was not cheating only using every possible thing to win.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
About 4 years ago pretty big bracket race I get down to 5 cars. When I went to stage one of my lights flickered. Anyway I win the round and it got me a Bye run into the Final. After I get back to trailer I get a visit from the track manager. The guy I beat said I was cheating. I ended up having to run him again and lost the second time and that guy Won the race. After it was over the manager came back and apologized they found an ant bed under the staging lights and it was just getting high enough to random cause problem.
As for turning the wheel in the staging lights there was some threads on this in the past and it is a dirty trick some have used to start the time clocks. Some of lower morals and standards said it was not cheating only using every possible thing to win.

I kinda saw that in a different light. It's one thing if your opponent won't stage first. But then if they take their time in addition to that, and they get timed out because they chill out even after you turned on the second bulb, then they get what they deserve. They just lost at the dirty trick game if you ask me.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I am with Big Steve on this. After 50 years of doing this, you don"t even worry about who is in the other lane let alone what games they are playing! Just Do Your Job! JMO. Ozzie.

Posts: 39 | Location: so. ca. | Registered: June 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have seen people lose because they didn't realize what their blink had started the clock and be mad as he!! because they timed out while on the other hand I have seen people timed out because they didn't know that their opponets blink had started the clock and he knew and went on in and left them hanging....seen this tactic many times so its best to know the sequence at staging.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
We had racers get tossed for dong the wheel turn trick.
Rule also say staging must be in forward motion so if all you are doing is turning your steering wheel then you aren’t going in a forward motion.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
We had racers get tossed for dong the wheel turn trick.
Rule also say staging must be in forward motion so if all you are doing is turning your steering wheel then you aren’t going in a forward motion.

good point, "The final staging motion, using applied power, must be in a forward motion"

not only not in a forward motion, but most definitely not using applied power

Posts: 149 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

I kinda saw that in a different light. It's one thing if your opponent won't stage first. But then if they take their time in addition to that, and they get timed out because they chill out even after you turned on the second bulb, then they get what they deserve. They just lost at the dirty trick game if you ask me.

Yea, he thought I was trying to play a dirty trick but it was ant bed made light flicker.

I never play games on starting line and always try to be a good sport.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Bucky I had a similar thing happen but my light started flickering before I even started to to stage after prestaging and after I did think I lit stage bulb my red light came on with me ever moving then stage bulb flickered more. I backed up my car and shut off calmly. It turned out to be spider. The other guy made his pass then during the rerun thought he was allowed to change his dial, I did win the rerun.