DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Steve Torrence tire shake
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steve Torrence tire shake
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Anyone else watch Torrence's tireshake in 1st round and see mags flexing back and forth?Looked like the mover 3 or 4",sure not as much as looked like.Danm wondering how they did not break off mag base.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4178 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Saw that on replay. Was pretty crazy.

Posts: 487 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
They're pretty heavy and a long way out from the drive, no doubt he was very lucky to win that round. I've always wondered if they are phased and timed the same? Cool JB

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
yes timed same or normally are. I guess some might time differently. I wondered about split timing when we had two mags on Funny way back in 90's. Heck still using dual drive just with one mag.

Posts: 4178 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Unreal. Tire shake has hidden damage. The first time we basketball'd the tires it broke the ring and pinion, input shaft and every baffel in a new dry sump PS pan. More issues can bite you three races later.

Besides rattling the drivers head.... Severely!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BP758,

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4479 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
yes timed same or normally are. I guess some might time differently. I wondered about split timing when we had two mags on Funny way back in 90's. Heck still using dual drive just with one mag.

If you look at the position of the caps, you will see them with the msd logo in a different position on most fuel cars. That leads me to believe they are timed differently.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Caps have nothing to do with it. Pulleys can be in different positions.Dual mag drive has three pulleys driven by gilmer belt,like on cam drive or belt driven fuel pump.. Not saying it can not be done.I do know few guys in fuel and some conversations about stuff with them Mainly just to learn more and while never asked also never heard of different timing on mags. Plus with all of the controls you have its just too simple to make them change to what ever you want.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wheres the video?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6378 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Caps have nothing to do with it. Pulleys can be in different positions.Dual mag drive has three pulleys driven by gilmer belt,like on cam drive or belt driven fuel pump.. Not saying it can not be done.I do know few guys in fuel and some conversations about stuff with them Mainly just to learn more and while never asked also never heard of different timing on mags. Plus with all of the controls you have its just too simple to make them change to what ever you want.
I've always wondered if having the 2nd plug fire a little later might not make for a longer burn? On nitro you probably wouldn't want to get too close to the exhaust valve cracking open tho......? Cool JB

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Not sure what they run now for timing. It use to be from 50 to 70*. WIth stronger mags I figure they have backed it down some. Hell after first cpl 100' its almost a diesel anyway.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure what they run now for timing. It use to be from 50 to 70*. WIth stronger mags I figure they have backed it down some. Hell after first cpl 100' its almost a diesel anyway.
I've assumed this for a while now. They're melting into themselves once the cannon is off the fingers... Cool JB

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Funny you say it's like a diesel, I remember years back a fuel car had the mags break and tell off the car at about the tree. Car never missed a beat.

Posts: 487 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Is this dieseling a function of the nitromethane alone, or is it due to extreme hot spots in the cylinder/chamber? Not familiar with the nitro engines and that's why I asked.

Only time I've heard of it is on some 2 stroke engines (jet ski's) that would run lean and the spark plug ground strap would glow red. You couldn't shut them off without either shutting off air flow or the fuel. First time I experienced it, it was a new ski and I panicked. Removed the lanyard. Pushed the stop button. Pulled the plug wires off. Kept running. Turned the fuel off, waited a minute or two, and it finally died. Pulled plugs and the straps were blue like they'd been heated with a torch.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Diesel effect comment more referring to fact you can see piece of plugs coming out exhaust at times. Watch video of cars running at night and you will see what we are talking about. Nitros is probably harder to light than diesel is. Now compress it and it can go off with almost nothing. A/fuel car is probably more dangerous when being serviced than when on track. You have to make sure all plugs are out and get all fuel out. If you rotate with fuel in cylinder and 12.5:1 compression you can have a bomb in your face.

Car will shut off with mag switch,but becomes a time bomb if done so while pumping fuel in.

If want all of the particulars go to Inside top alcohol and look for section on staring A/Fuel in tech section.