DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Top Sportsman Racer killed in Atlanta
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Sportsman Racer killed in Atlanta
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
That’s just not true Ed. Some might not agree or like what you have to say but life ???? Nobody I know would think that. What you said is is true, we all know what can happen.

Prayers for his Family and Friends.

Barry

Absolutely.

Do I often disagree with Ed, yes.

Would I be celebrating if he was hurt or killed?

Absolutely not!

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted document.write(''+ myTimeZone('Mon, 07 May 2018 08:59:01 GMT-0700', 'May 07, 2018 10:59 AM')+'');May 07, 2018 10:59 AMMay 07, 2018 10:59 AMHide Postquote:Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:That’s just not true Ed. Some might not agree or like what you have to say but life ???? Nobody I know would think that. What you said is is true, we all know what can happen. Prayers for his Family and Friends. Barry Absolutely.Do I often disagree with Ed, yes.Would I be celebrating if he was hurt or killed? Absolutely not!

Agreed!

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Ok, let's not make this about me. I didn't die yet and hope not to for a long time.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
Maybe NHRA has something planned For their sportsman show that they have on fox sports every week.

RIP Randy Alexander

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I know everyone has there opinion on what should be done. Please keep in mind not all of the immediate family may not know of the situation. And will pass along there blessing for something to be said. All you can do is keep everyone in your thoughts and prayers with something like this.

Posts: 12 | Location: Twister City, OH / Athens, GA / Brownsburg, IN | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I agree. And ED sorry I said killed or whatever. I just wouldn’t celebrate if any of my fellow racers where harmed in a accident. Sorry guys shouldn’t have said anything. Heavy hearted subject.

Posts: 31 | Location: arkansas | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
is it me or does that corvette body style seem to catch air easily.ronnie davis car,same thing,just goes airborn

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Edwad, trust me, it’s not about you

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of p7050
posted Hide Post
They did mention something on NHRA All Access about the racer who passed away and even a prayer for the family by the preacher before the races. Also mentioned it when they showed the top sportsman winner getting the trophy. The winner was the dad of the son who was involved in the accident.

Posts: 100 | Location: Radcliff, KY | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
is it me or does that corvette body style seem to catch air easily.ronnie davis car,same thing,just goes airborn

It's not just the vette bodies that have this problem. It's an aero problem. You can't take a lightweight car and turn it around going 160 plus miles an hour. Almost all of these cars have wings that will trap air and create lift. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going put the pins for my wing in and set the wing support on top of the pin. And if god forbid I do get turned around the wing will just flip over onto the deck lid and hopefully help to not lift up the back of the car.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
RIP, sad weekend for sportsman racing. Condolences to the family.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hammond:
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:

It's not just the vette bodies that have this problem. It's an aero problem. You can't take a lightweight car and turn it around going 160 plus miles an hour. Almost all of these cars have wings that will trap air and create lift. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going put the pins for my wing in and set the wing support on top of the pin. And if god forbid I do get turned around the wing will just flip over onto the deck lid and hopefully help to not lift up the back of the car.

I was thinking the same thing, but did not want to take the thread too far off subject.

I do believe there have been a lot of problems with 63 split window's getting light in the rear end, even more so than other cars

that said, my prayers and thoughts with the family during this hard time

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Nichols
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Jon Blackshear in Abilene. Sad day for sure!

Any other information on this?

Posts: 157 | Location: Charlestown, IN U.S.A | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bob,

The only real thing I have heard is that his car (dragster) went off the end of the track apparently under full throttle. Whether that was from the throttle being stuck or from a medical event I don't know. Last week was terrible for drag racing and obviously for these families with Fred, Randy and Jon's deaths. All I can say is rest in peace gentlemen. They will be missed.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
One other thing, please take your safety and the safety of others seriously. Do your part to make sure that your operation is as safe as possible.

Check your brakes, parachutes, throttle cables, lug nuts and all the other related odds and ends that directly impact your well being or someone else.

If you are racing a fast car PLEASE consider buying some type of head and neck restraint. Several racers and I had lunch yesterday and this was one of the topics. A neck collar is not really going to do you any good at the types of speeds many of us are running.

Sit in the car while it's in the shop and actually practice what you would do if the throttle hung wide open. Pull your chute at least a couple of times a season to make sure that it works. I am negligent on this but I'm fixing to correct that.

Be safe out there guys!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
This was a very sad weekend of racing , My condolence to the family and friends of both . Rest in peace , may the two of you race in heaven with .000 lights and running your number with a 0.

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post