DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Top Sportsman Racer killed in Atlanta
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Sportsman Racer killed in Atlanta
 Login/Join

DRR All Star
Picture of Scott Smith
posted
From the NHRA:

UPDATE ON TOP SPORTSMAN INCIDENT: It is with heavy hearts that we report Randy Alexander of Harvest, Ala., passed away at a local hospital after sustaining injuries in an on-track incident at the NHRA Southern Nationals in Commerce, Ga. NHRA and the entire racing community extend their deepest condolences and their prayers to the participant’s family and friends. We also ask that everyone respect the family’s privacy during this difficult time.

Posts: 7021 | Location: Montgomery Al. USA | Registered: October 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and prayers

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BLIND MULE 2217
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent

Posts: 354 | Location: Opelika AL, | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Very sad news. RIP. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
That was a horrible wreck! Thoughts and prayers to everyone from both teams. Gosh, as dangerous as our sport is, it is hard when something like this happens.

Posts: 149 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
It was a double bad day, a bracket racer was killed today at Big Country raceway in Abilene TX. I dont know any details other that he was in a dragster and went off the end of the track

Posts: 2430 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Jon Blackshear in Abilene. Sad day for sure!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
A very sad day for the drag racing community, and racing in general.

These guys lost their lives doing what they loved to do. Thoughts are with them, the families and all involved.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about both racers, very sad.
Hard way to make us gain perspective and what really is a bad day.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have a question. I didn’t see all of the fs1 show today but, did the Nhra say anything on national tv about the loss of a racer? Was they asked not too or what? Just seems to me they would say thoughts and prayers are with the family or something. Again I didn’t see all of the show so just asking.

Posts: 31 | Location: arkansas | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 66belair:
I have a question. I didn’t see all of the fs1 show today but, did the Nhra say anything on national tv about the loss of a racer? Was they asked not too or what? Just seems to me they would say thoughts and prayers are with the family or something. Again I didn’t see all of the show so just asking.

Not 1 word about it

Posts: 2430 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If that’s true Big Steve, I’m pissed. Why would they not atleast give some sort of grief. Let me guess cause he was a sportsman racer. Not one of the big money deals. Even if it’s on the sportsman show it still pisses me off. They should have showed some sort of something. I don’t even have the words right now

Posts: 31 | Location: arkansas | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 60 falcon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 66belair:

And they showed the sportsman finals too.

sammy mathis

Posts: 67 | Location: iowa park, texas | Registered: October 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I was also disapointed that there was no mention made.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the family requested it....................

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12 | Location: Southern In. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
the NHRA release their statement to the press, what more do you want? Mentioning a driver's death on TV does nothing to help his family deal with his loss.

That said, what we do is dangerous, more so than ever before, too many drivers, their families and friends forget that.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Well put Ed.

Posts: 181 | Location: COLUMBUS | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ed I understand that we all know. Still doesn't change the fact that they could have atleast said, we are sadden and have heavy hearts for the family of fellow racer. Just like you Ed. I don't know you and will probably never meet you and I understand that you know how dangerous this sport is. That said if you were killed in your car next time out I would still have your family in my thoughts and prayers.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
if that happen, some here would be celebrating.

That said, he died doing what he loved, better to go this way than wasting away with cancer.

There's a lesson to be learned here...have this conversation with our families, maybe even write to each of them or record a video, might ease their pain if the dangers of this sport catch up with us and be sure to say goodbye and tell your family you love them every race day.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
That’s just not true Ed. Some might not agree or like what you have to say but life ???? Nobody I know would think that. What you said is is true, we all know what can happen.

Prayers for his Family and Friends.

Barry

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4498 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post