New
Find
Notify
Tools

Route 66 Raceway
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Looks like a new owner.Hope they keep the track that goes straight.

https://globenewswire.com/news...way-Corporation.html

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Well time will tell. You know if you race there just how slim in the amount of P & SP events that occur. I could never understand the policies there.
What is it. 9 events for SP and P a year and Etc.
A lot of guys go to US 41 since the mega bucks investments at 41

RT66 could be a gold mine. I was really shocked this year when the No prep deal was there this year. I can tell you this, Tim Ringer and associates at 41 are doing their very best to make it a racer friendly operation with outstanding improvements every year.

Looks slim here for 2018 head count.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/d...nascar/#5b77caf81df5

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I was always under the impression that NASCAR was half owner of RT 66. That's how it was explained to me when Coyne sold out and the Cup track was built.

Posts: 73 | Location: park forest, il | Registered: October 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
One of the properties mentioned in this proposal is the ISC Auto Club Facility at Fontana, California. Although this is in the early stages of consideration for the ISC Board it does beg the question about the long term use of the Drag Strip at Fontana. While ISC approved the use of that portion of the facility for Drag Racing NASCAR on the other hand is not interested in that type of Motorsports.

It might be a good idea for someone “With Standing” contact ISC/NASCAR regarding the future of Drag Racing at Fontana. If this transaction is approved (NASCAR purchasing all 13 of the ISC properties) it’s possible that we could lose the only weekly 1/4 mile Drag Racing facilty in Southern California. Before you ask, Bakersfield (256 miles one way) is in Central California and does not hold NHRA Division events.

I’m not raising the red flag and saying the Drag Strip IS going away, but the fact remains NASCAR is not in the Drag Racing business and that strip of land on the North side of the Auto Club Raceway at Fontana is a Drag Strip.

Personally I have no interest in towing to Phoenix (362 miles one way) or Tucson (410 miles one way) every time I want to go 1/4 mile drag racing.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
One of the properties mentioned in this proposal is the ISC Auto Club Facility at Fontana, California. Although this is in the early stages of consideration for the ISC Board it does beg the question about the long term use of the Drag Strip at Fontana. While ISC approved the use of that portion of the facility for Drag Racing NASCAR on the other hand is not interested in that type of Motorsports.

It might be a good idea for someone “With Standing” contact ISC/NASCAR regarding the future of Drag Racing at Fontana. If this transaction is approved (NASCAR purchasing all 13 of the ISC properties) it’s possible that we could lose the only weekly 1/4 mile Drag Racing facilty in Southern California. Before you ask, Bakersfield (256 miles one way) is in Central California and does not hold NHRA Division events.

I’m not raising the red flag and saying the Drag Strip IS going away, but the fact remains NASCAR is not in the Drag Racing business and that strip of land on the North side of the Auto Club Raceway at Fontana is a Drag Strip.

Personally I have no interest in towing to Phoenix (362 miles one way) or Tucson (410 miles one way) every time I want to go 1/4 mile drag racing.

Bob

Is Irwindale still open? I know they are 1/8 mile. I always try to make it to a track or two when I visit out there. So far have been to Irwindale for just test and tune, Pomona for the NHRA Race, and Bakersfield for March Meet

Posts: 33 | Location: Xenia | Registered: June 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Pomona holds two NHRA National events a year, the WinterNationals in February and the World Finals in November. I’ve never been to the 1/8 mile drag Strip at Irwindale but believe that the property was sold to a Property Development Corporation and was to become a Shopping Center.

Bakersfield is about 100 miles north of Los Angeles so to get there from San Diego you have to tow through LA and over the Grapevine...... not interested.

The Auto Club Raceway at Fontana represents the last 1/4 mile Drag Strip with a weekly scheduled program in Southern California, if it was to close I, like a lot of folks, who would be done with Drag Racing.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
WOW Bob, that is something to think about. You never race Barona ? I know that's 1/8 mile too, myself I like racing 660. Happens fast and not as much wheel racing....

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If I need to try something different/new (like buying real race gas) for the car I’ll make a few singles at Barona, they really don’t draw the types of cars that I normally race against. They do really well with Sportsman and Pro cars, just not Super Pro and they don’t offer any Index Racing.

If they could develop a regular program consisting of cars like mine I would Race there since it’s only 13 miles from my front door. Fontana has SoCal ProGas, Super Comp and Super Street events so I normally go there, or to their Division 7 Event. I wish that I had the money to travel and race at all the Division 7 Events but my funding comes in the form of a Social Security Check, right after I make those repetitive nuisance payments, you know like the house payment, buying food, paying the Utilities, my wife’s car payment......etc., etc., etc. Being retired has some advantages, a surplus of money isn’t one of them.

Bob

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bob, can’t say any about the other tracks but nascar has operated Fontana for years. Nothing would change

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Because this potentially could impact Drag Racing in several areas of the Country I did a little research regarding NASCAR and ISC (International Speedway Corporation). In short The France Family and Roger Penske own both NASCAR and ISC.

As I understand the connection NASCAR does not actually own any of the properties they conduct events. ISC is the Management Corporation that represents the owners/stockholders of each of these properties. In 1999 the France Family, who at the time wholly owned NASCAR merged with Penske Motorsports (Roger Penske) into what is today known simply as NASCAR. ISC remained independent as the Management Corporation possibly because of the TAX structure, but in any event independent of NASCAR. That is potentially about to end with NASCAR actually taking over the management of the 13 properties mention in the proposal. That arrangement would add to the value of NASCAR stock, which lately has not been stellar.

Bottom line is that a Property Management Corporation (ISC) would relinquish control of these properties and NASCAR (The France Family and Roger Penske) would assume that role. How this potentially could impact the management of those properties is not defined in the proposal. In all likelihood it would not change (hopefully), but potentially it could. The Auto Club Dragway at Fontana is a income stream for the track, none of us have any idea how much but my guess is that with the financial funding from The Auto Club and the gate income, it’s substantial.

Any time there is a change in the management structure of an enterprise it is also subject to a change in the business model. Let’s hope nothing changes.

Bob

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Lucky Scott Hudson
posted Hide Post
Wow, I just don't know what to say....

"
quote:
I’ve never been to the 1/8 mile drag Strip at Irwindale but believe that the property was sold to a Property Development Corporation and was to become a Shopping Center.
"

Irwindale is continuing to operate and is better than ever. The Shopping center plans are on hold and the Irwindale track has made numerous improvements.No sense getting all paranoid about the Fontana track. Auto Club is the main sponsor and has a lot of influence about the drag strip. Could it go away? Possibly.
Will it go away? Not likely as long as Auto Club is involved.

Posts: 1199 | Location: So Cal | Registered: March 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post