New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norwalk
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Damn. So much for local and state support.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6353 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
Take these state governments to court. Total Sham

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I tried telling everyone for nearly twenty years, don't buy chinese garbage.

The chicken finally came home to roost.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Not sure I would believe that as they just collected the entry fees for $40k race expecting to be running it.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I think it was same source tried to say night under fire was cancelled but I checked website and Facebook and no mentioning of it on Norwalks website or Facebook page.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just posted on Facebook.:

On Friday, May 29 at 2:30 pm (EST), I came to the realization that with 83% of my revenue lost for the year, that it no longer made financial sense to attempt to open and run the risk of losing anymore money for the year. Instead, I thought, I need to cover up and live to fight another day. With my path now clear, I began the process of making calls to the parties who needed to know in advance of an announcement. Unfortunately, my decision was leaked and blew up this morning. I apologize to so many that found out through a rumor piece instead of a message directly from me. A formal announcement will be made on Wednesday.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Lucky Scott Hudson
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear this. A great track, with a wonderful family running it. There must be some kind of pressure to force them to make this decision.

Posts: 1199 | Location: So Cal | Registered: March 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
As much as I hate to hear this, I find it hard to believe that Norwalk isn't profitable on a weekly basis. Now I don't know their business but I have a pretty good understanding of business and just seems odd to me that they can't be profitable. Sometimes people think since they aren't making what they are use to they can't or wont do it. Like they're entitled to the cash cow each and every time.

Just my opinion.

Posts: 2101 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^

From damn the torpedo's I'm racing to I can't afford to open the gates. It's a business I suppose. Lot's of customers finding other places to spend their money now. If he actually does it.......

Posts: 146 | Location: Left of Center | Registered: February 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sometimes people think since they aren't making what they are use to they can't or wont do it. Like they're entitled to the cash cow each and every time.

Just my opinion.

Just your dumb opinion. Every business owner gets to look at the risk/reward tradeoff and decide if they want to open or not. Easy to criticize when you don't have any skin in the game. Why don't you lease his track and promote some races, take some of that risk yourself?

Just my opinion.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This reminds of sitting in a luxury bus at the head of the staging lanes at Gainesville in the 90's. There had to be 45 pro stockers, 25 Top Fuel and 25-30 TF funny cars entered. 5 or 6 of us BS''n look'n out at a packed Gator Nationals on a Thursday or Friday, I think it was a Thursday they used to run 2 pro sessions Thursday so we could get in $15 bucks and I liked seeing the underdog no name cars anyway. Might of been the day Bernstein went 300 I dunno.

Anyway long story short, the wealthy guy who rents the spot at the head of the lanes every year out of nowhere says, this is a big nut to crack for NHRA every month, owning all these tracks. I hope it all doesn't go to chit someday, they'd get upside down in a hurry.

In hindsight it was probably one of the smartest things I've ever heard. Them ol guys are SMART. I always have my ears tuned in on the ol guys, they're wise.

Bader does a helluva job, I see him as just old school American, he just tells it like it is. There's no hussle in his game, just hard work.

I knew why he pulled the plug on it yesterday, when I heard it on FB.

Intuition from paying attention to the ol guys over the years, I suppose.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Taxes,insurance,employee costs,track prep,safety equipment,etc.
I can see how just a weekly program would not be profitable.
Then you sell a pound of ice cream for $1 and lose even more money.
Not surprised that they pulled the plug for the year. With Coronavirus and rioting and an upcoming election,2021 should be a better year to at least "break even".

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Another thing people forget is if you are lucky to get and electric outlet in the pits your electric is free for the weekend, who is figuring that into the expenses?
I wouldn’t have a clue how much or if at all turn a profit running just brackets all summer but is it worth the effort just to make a few bucks when you could keep it closed and only lose a few bucks.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Bill won’t run that place on a shoe string budget like a lot of tracks do.

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Sly Fox - yup my opinion and you're entitled to yours. And your correct I don't have skin in the game besides my whole lively hood relies on drag racing.

If Norwalk is operating by loosing money on all their events besides some of the ones they've already lost, they need to reconsider their business model. That would make most sense as any good business operator would operate year after year loosing money on a big percentage of their business.

Now...

Taxes... Still due open or closed.
Insurance... Property Liability still due open or closed. Now track insurance wouldn't be due without an event. The event should cover that.
Track Prep... No cost unless operational. I'd guess 2-300 cars would cover the $1k
Safety Equipment... I'd say they already have that, if they're paying for it, that note is still due and an event would help cover that.
Don't sell ice cream. Problem solved.
Turn the outlets off. Problem solved.

Again... I hate to see this and they've obviously done a great job over the years while doing well. It's when times get tough that the tough get going.

But what happened to "Whe're Opening NO MATTER WHAT" and I get they're governed by law.

SL...

Posts: 2101 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I would think the Sponsors Norwalk has including Summit got on him pretty hard with his idea of playing chicken with the governor and local governments. In Summit's eyes Bill Bader didn't wasnt talking about going against regulation but Summit Motorsports Park was. Sponsorship's are a great thing until you have your own ideas.

Posts: 33 | Location: Xenia | Registered: June 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
^^^
So you're saying the biggest baddest track in the land (which it no doubt is) has met it's match (which it most likely did)?

Posts: 146 | Location: Left of Center | Registered: February 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
Sly Fox - yup my opinion and you're entitled to yours. And your correct I don't have skin in the game besides my whole lively hood relies on drag racing.

If Norwalk is operating by loosing money on all their events besides some of the ones they've already lost, they need to reconsider their business model. That would make most sense as any good business operator would operate year after year loosing money on a big percentage of their business.

Now...

Taxes... Still due open or closed.
Insurance... Property Liability still due open or closed. Now track insurance wouldn't be due without an event. The event should cover that.
Track Prep... No cost unless operational. I'd guess 2-300 cars would cover the $1k
Safety Equipment... I'd say they already have that, if they're paying for it, that note is still due and an event would help cover that.
Don't sell ice cream. Problem solved.
Turn the outlets off. Problem solved.

Again... I hate to see this and they've obviously done a great job over the years while doing well. It's when times get tough that the tough get going.

But what happened to "Whe're Opening NO MATTER WHAT" and I get they're governed by law.

SL...

Again - easy to second-guess from the cheap seats.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Custer could've lived to fight another day too, but his arrogance got in the way of that.