New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norwalk
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Let me be clear, not a single business can make money closed. I dont think it can be stated any clearer.

I have committed to pay every employee I have thru the end this year for my company...OPEN OR CLOSED. EVEN if we make NO money or LOSE money.

There is far more to this decision than BB is willing to say at this time for some reason...JMO

Just the facts, like them or not.

JUST in case anyone forgot...never in the history of any business has anyone ever made money closed...Businesses LOSE money closed.

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I guess the question then is "how much you willing to lose"? There is a risk vs reward and Bader feels the risk is far greater than the reward.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
Let me be clear, not a single business can make money closed. I dont think it can be stated any clearer.

I have committed to pay every employee I have thru the end this year for my company...OPEN OR CLOSED. EVEN if we make NO money or LOSE money.

There is far more to this decision than BB is willing to say at this time for some reason...JMO

Just the facts, like them or not.

JUST in case anyone forgot...never in the history of any business has anyone ever made money closed...Businesses LOSE money closed.

I work for an airline. Things are picking up nicely now,but 6 weeks ago,they would have been far better off shutting down than flying airplanes around with 1 or 2 passengers.There is one example where I think they would have been better off closed.
Maybe he is pulling the plug too early.But if the media starts hyping up a second wave of Coronavirus,he will look like a genius.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Has anyone on here heard anything straight from the Baders? Or are we depending one face book. By the way Chris is right, you don't make a dime closed.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
After reading the article from CP I would have to agree with him to be closed.

If just ONE person says they got covid from a Summit/Norwalk race, can you imagine the HUGE lawsuit that would entail.
Not to mention how many more lawsuits would come from the news of the first lawsuit.
Businesses are taking a HUGE gamble opening up without business liability protection.

And I'm not talking racers, I'm talking spectators.
And the worse case scenario is if one dies.
Imagine that lawsuit.
Its a lose - lose for them.

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 954 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Has anyone on here heard anything straight from the Baders? Or are we depending one face book. By the way Chris is right, you don't make a dime closed.

It may be more about containing the bleeding. I have been really afraid of this day for many race tracks. They are dependent on spectator events for their profits. They consider the bracket money what keeps the lights on to get to the spectator events.

I have to say, I feel this way about food prices in the US. I don't want to pay more for anything. Nobody does. But we now have food coming in from other countries with the risks involved. We hire migrants to harvest our food because it is cheaper than hiring Americans. When really, food just needs to cost more! We have accepted lower quality, less safety, and sold out American jobs in order to get cheap food.

Bracket racing probably needs to be more expensive and with lower payouts if we want to be self sustaining and not rely on spectator events. Otherwise a track can lose a spectator event due to virus or weather or murder hornets, and we end up losing a track since they figure they make no money off the bracket program. Changing his business model would be just that. Higher costs for bracket racers. But then sustaining a facility like that with just bracket racing is pretty lofty.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6367 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bucky while I agree with you it will never happen in a free market economy.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I understand that you don’t make any money closed. You also don’t pay employees, use electricity, run the track dryer, buy VHT, etc. I’m sure Torquin is right and there is more than he is saying but whatever it is I guess he ultimately felt that there was less to be lost or risked by just staying closed.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 625 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maliciousintent:
Bucky while I agree with you it will never happen in a free market economy.

The market will bare what it will and people may not be willing to pay more. In the grand scheme of racing, regular bracket races are among our smallest costs. It’s a matter of perspective. If they charged $120 for a bracket race $1k to win and pay back generous rounds, folks would probably not go there. Many choosing instead to pay $800 for a weekend plus travel and statistically come home with nothing, and people flock to do it.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6367 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
This goes back to the ultimate question. Risk vs Reward?

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
No risks, no rewards. Closed is NO risk...can't produce income without being open.

If your operating expense is too high? CUT your operating expenses, doesn't require an accounting degree to understand.

JMO

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
No risks, no rewards. Closed is NO risk...can't produce income without being open.

If your operating expense is too high? CUT your operating expenses, doesn't require an accounting degree to understand.

JMO

Fair statement. The capital investment is a sunk cost. You pay it regardless.

I'm to the point in my racing career where I will travel a little further, and certainly pay more for less payout, if the facility is decent, track is good, and track employees act like they give a damn you are there. And I will eat their food and pay more for it if it is actually good food. And we will buy ice cream every time if you sell it at a reasonable price too. One local track would do shakes or sundays of pretty generous size....more than I need and that's saying something, for $3.50. They sold a lot of ice cream.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know for a fact that the State of Ohio will even ALLOW a race with 500+ entries, even if there was such a race supposedly ready to go? Odd that Norwalk lost it's NHRA national event this year, but Atlanta Dragway (for example) now has a national event on it's calendar? Just based on what I see in the news I'm thinking the authorities in Georgia are easier to deal with regarding COVID than what you see in Ohio.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
How many did they have at the ACE race at Dragway 42? That’s in Ohio and they did plenty of racing

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of N2Ofrog
posted Hide Post
Hard to make an educated decision based off a press release--suspect there is a lot more to decision that we don't know about and/or isn't any of our business--whether it's insurance, sponsors, etc.

I'd be really surprised if Billy didn't know how operate his business properly...

Posts: 929 | Location: Columbia Station, OH | Registered: January 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post