DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Anyone have any experience with air ambulance insurance or memberships?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have any experience with air ambulance insurance or memberships?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted
I've heard some horror stories about helicopter ambulance bills. Anyone know anything about the insurance or what some sell as a membership to a network of air ambulances?

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The cost is low (200-300 or so for several family members)compared to the cost of a helicopter ride without.

Our family had the insurance and had to put it to use.

Posts: 81 | Location: Sacramento CA | Registered: November 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I know in MD there is a charge every time you renew your drivers license for the helicopter service and it costs ZERO for residents. My son got shot hunting in WV 20 years ago and they sent one to Wheeling and took him back to Baltimore and didn't cost a dime. How bout that?

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Fern, that's a great deal....if I just lived in MD.

Eric Arnett, what insurance company? I have found a group called Air Med but it's a memebership and I don't think it covers all air ambulances just the ones in the group.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
My helicopter bill was slightly under $36,000. Years ago a friend (Melvin Matsuda) was air flighted from El Centro California to Sharp Memorial Hospital in San Diego, the ride cost his Family nearly $100,000. That ride saved his life, I doubt that he ever complained about the bill.

Bob

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Try LifeFlight or AMCN

Posts: 81 | Location: Sacramento CA | Registered: November 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eric Arnett:
Try LifeFlight or AMCN

AMCN is the one I see advertised near me. Both are a membership service and not an insurance.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I wasn't even aware of supplemental air ambulance insurance, but I work in the health insurance industry and ambulance rates in general are a problem.

With most health care providers, we negotiate rates that are a discount from what they charge. In the case of ambulance, they know that nobody is using their services by choice and so the companies have no incentive to offer discounted rates to anyone.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3151 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Luckily it wasn't me but I know of 2 cases locally where they flew the person in the helicopter. After it was all said and done the insurance determined it wasn't required and wouldn't pay a dime,the bills were in the 40k's.
I live in a rural area. Our ambulance service is marginal at best. Many times there is no ambulance in the county as they are all on transports. Also we don't have much of a hospital so the trauma center is quite a distance away. The helicopter lands at the local hospital to take patients to other hospitals. This is becoming more common.
I looked at AirMedCare and a 10 year membership for age 60+ is $575.

DRR Pro
Picture of BLIND MULE 2217
posted Hide Post
My brothers joy ride cost 54k.....Luckily the doctors at UAB had a fund setup for family's that need help paying for unexpected deals like his...you talk about a blessing.

Posts: 354 | Location: Opelika AL, | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
Tell the hospital you identify as a half illegal beaner / half black lesbian muslim and they will rip up the bill and pay you for your trouble.

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We belong to both services in our area. About $140.00 per year for both.

A no brainer in our opinion.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I think it takes a bit of brains. I'm reading the fine print on the AirMedCare membership. It's not a free ride. They have the same exclusion as health insurance companies that their attending medical professionals can disallow their coverage if they deem it not a life threatening situation. Too many holes in all of these deals.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Very late 90's when Hurricane Mitch destroyed Honduras several of us went down to help. One of us got a head injury and was brain bleeding and less than 24 hours to live. We found a Lear Air Ambulance jet in Mexico City. But they would not lift off the ground without full cash payment up front. Several of us Max'd out our Visas to get it to Honduras. He's alive today, but miraculously. After that I increased my Visa limit substantially. Don't leave home without it.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron C.:
Very late 90's when Hurricane Mitch destroyed Honduras several of us went down to help. One of us got a head injury and was brain bleeding and less than 24 hours to live. We needed to get him back to the States ASAP. We found a Lear Air Ambulance jet in Mexico City. But they would not lift off the ground without full cash payment up front. Several of us Max'd out our Visas to get it to Honduras. He's alive today, but miraculously. After that I increased my Visa limit substantially. Don't leave home without it.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post