Find
Notify
Tools

Question - IHRA
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted
It's mid-season I suppose so wanted to ask any that have attended IHRA Sportsman races so far - what did you think? Does IHRA survive on this or not?

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
NOT

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Saturday portion of the Sportsman Spectacular finished a couple of hours ago here at Keystone Raceway Park. I don't have a car count for first round, but it was an 8 round race. I think it was well run, well organized, with a ton of awesome racing. It may not appeal to the high rollers, but for damn sure it appeals to me on my budget, and who would pass up a $10k and a $5k at their home track for just $150? I think there should have been a lot more cars, especially from Keystone. Thanks to Summit, Moser, Scrubblade, and all of the sponsors.

Is it enough to survive? I can't answer that. All I can say is that I feel these races deserve all the support they can get.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My experience was different. I went to the one at Wilksboro, NC and I kind of figured to run the rest of them in my area--Darlington, Farmington, and Carolina. Not many showed up. For some reason they would not allow foot brake (no-box) cars to deep stage. They advertised the race would be re entry, (not--buyback) then ran it as a buyback into 2nd round without making anyone aware of it. I won 1st round and heard them call re-entry but then they ran everyone and I missed 2nd round. I was not alone. They also advertised a Mulligan deal so when I figured out I was out went to get one and they had canceled that. Then they ran the 2nd race the same day----so much for what the flyer says. There was some drama about the payout not sure what that was but the foot brake winner was not happy. And making bottom bulb first win his class and then has to run the top cars for the big money don't quite seem fair since everyone pays the same money. BUT it is cheap entry for the purse!

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Personally, for the bracket racer is is a great deal. Buy one get one free.
I raced the Baton Rouge race and then the Ferris, Tx race, both were well ran and as advertised. Baton Rouge was ran under threat of rain, both were ran on the same day. Which was good because it came a thunder buster. Extreme Raceway was also, well ran. Only issue was Sundays race, the track crew failed to properly prep the track. Mod cars (no box) were getting loose.
Frank stopped the race and had them prep the surface and then stayed in the water box directing traffic until he was satisfied everything was good. I actually ran my quickest pass that morning.
Only thing I was disappointed in was the car count.
I have no idea why these are not getting the support I feel they should. Hell even the locals stay home.

I understand that IHRA is trying to keep the cost down which I can't blame them considering the turn out, but I think they should use their own starter as well as tech. That way we can have confidence in the track prep and it may prevent some issues. Not necessarily saying the local crew is inept.

Last issue is they scheduled the Memphis race on the same weekend as the Div 4 Bracket Finals weekend. I had planned to go but will stay here instead.

Overall I give the series a 9 out of 10, for thinking outside the box and giving the bracket racer a series that pays well for reasonable entry.

Can't wait to hear what everyone will ***** about next..lol

Dave

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Covey,

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
And making bottom bulb first win his class and then has to run the top cars for the big money don't quite seem fair since everyone pays the same money. BUT it is cheap entry for the purse!

That's how it is advertised on the flyer. The reason you get 1K for winning the no-box side before going in the next rd.

Posts: 607 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Fern, I hate ya missed the call for 2nd round. I was also at wilkes. I really like the format and thought they did a good job to run everything in one day. With the short car count, it was a good call in my opinion. Having had a drivers meeting prior to the race, I would have thought we were all on the same page. As far as pay out, the WHOLE purse was payed. Its not fair to IHRA to start that rumor when it is completely untrue. That being said, we all know they can't make a living off of a car count like they had, let alone pay the purse, but they did pay the purse. Is this a sustainable program for IHRA? Not with out the racers support. Personally, I really like the program and I hope racers will give them a try before this thing dries up from lack of support. Again, these are my opinions, but I will be at farmington and darlington.

Posts: 46 | Location: stonypoint,nc | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I was also at Wilkesboro and I just can't understand why so few of the locals showed up. What a horrible car count. I thought the race was run extremely well, and as has already been mentioned, it's hard to imagine IHRA being able to keep it up without racer support. One racer said that other racers were trying to "send a message" to IHRA for some past faults, but who can argue with the chance to win $10k and $5k for $150 entry fee"? By the way, they paid the full purse and there's no doubt that the track and IHRA lost a bunch on that venture.
I also thought that everyone left the drivers meeting satisfied with the decisions that were made. Hats off to the IHRA and the staff and owners of Wilkesboro Dragway!

Posts: 6 | Location: Baxley, Ga. | Registered: April 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
IHRA did the tech and ran starting line at Keystone this past weekend. I thought it was ran well and can’t figure out why more people don’t support it. It was ran as re entry round not buyback as I lost first round yesterday then formed out the coin and ran first round again and won. I explained to the official what they are calling buyback is actually re entry in the racers eyes.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Let’s do this once more. The purse was guaranteed and paid but there was some confusion about the round money. Nothing was said in the drivers meeting about how they were doing buybacks as it was on The flyer as reentry and was ran as buy back. Deep staging was not allowed which I know kept some racers away but was stated on the flyer. There was NO mulligan. Tech was done by IHRA. This IS a raal good deal for the racers and I have no idea why they don’t show up other than many have been burned in the past

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
There was NO mulligan

I'm glad they had NO mulligan. That alone is almost enough to keep me away. Why should some random racer that lost be put back in the race because they bought a ticket?
I have always hated this.

Posts: 124 | Location: inside | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
From the comments so far, it looks and sounds like it has some good features, maybe some poor execution and a serious problem with car counts. Now ASSUMING that IHRA dipped in their own pocket and paid the purses so far, the participating tracks are probably not hurt by these races. The question of whether they will sign up again next (again assuming the continuation)year remains to be seen.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Ksflyer1
posted Hide Post
Just attended 131 Motorsports Park event. Had a great time. Car count was acceptable in my opinion. As for me winning Best Losing Package $250 gift certificate yesterday, I guess there are worse ways to end your day, HAHA. KS

Let the games begin!

Posts: 3 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: September 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
MIR this weekend----no deep staging and no double entries but they are selling MULLIGAN tickets------And that bridge costs me $36 to cross.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
Waiting hopefully for the class racing to return..... Hurry Up

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 473 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
It's $150 for $15,000 plus payout. Somehow they have to pay the track and employees too. Must be some real good sponsorship as the entry fees aren't paying for much.

Posts: 1458 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I think a return to class racing would be nice

Posts: 41 | Location: NORTHFIELD | Registered: May 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post