DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Some Interesting Comparisons on Reaction Times
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some Interesting Comparisons on Reaction Times
 Login/Join

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
At the request of a few other promoters and racers I've added a few races.

These are just numbers and many years ago my Dad explained them to me and how they can tell a story if you take the time to study them.

It was a good assignment that I thought I'd share. Take it for what it is.

You right Pete. I've know Jay Livingston for 35 years and the racers of Ohio are very lucky. I'm looking forward to more events at Trails!

BB - Both major timing system companies are actively involved.

SL...

reaction time comparisons

Posts: 2109 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
SFG 1.1 had Accutime with No Stage Lock, the other race had Complulink with Stage Lock.

I prefer Accutime with no stage lock feature in bracket racing and this is why.

If you need to flicker the stage light 1 to 4 times to get the stage light to stay on and initiate the tree count down, imho you should also need to have your car stay in that position and not move back out of the stage beam prior to your green light turning on.

Even if you do not flicker the stage beams, backing out of stage light is a mechanical problem you need to correct. Why does stage lock need to be used for this ???

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
It shouldn't be. If you cannot "stage the car" then you are out. Don't care how cute it looks to do the "flicker"... Not difficult really. Ends the flipping the wheel, trying tricks in my opinion.
If it flickers when the tree is activated....bye!

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
I inquired about something being used to combat the tree reading devices. I was told by a promoter/ sponsor that they couldnt tell me in case I was one using the device. Obviously he had not looked at my time slips !

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Cat Fish
posted Hide Post
just sitting in the rain down here and looking at this stuff. why don't the promoters and tracks care if there is a timing system issue? not all of them but it seems like there is more issue than not these days. i have to say i was at bristol fling and my stuff was perfect all weekend.

Only One Way Out!

Posts: 30 | Location: Florida - Georgia Line | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
These topics are always fun.

One thing I would like to see at one big race is back to Incandescent bulbs. Lets see the RT swings with those lol. Bet not everyone is .00X anymore

Stephen Liss jr

Posts: 329 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Instant Green, with clock start.
Only rule is that the driver must initiate the launch.
Who can really repeat?
Think about it.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1645 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
Instant Green, with clock start.
Only rule is that the driver must initiate the launch.
Who can really repeat?
Think about it.

You can miss the tree and still make a perfect run. That’s dumb.

Would still take skill to know what you did and execute it, but I don’t like that you can erase your sins at the starting line.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3154 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
I think instant green is a great idea. Then it is down to you and your cars ability to react. No boxes, just see green and go, it just doesn't get simpler than that. I can't see any reason not to go to that.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Instant green is a bad idea! Except for the quickest car in the class. Been there done that. Was no contest for the slower car.

Posts: 35 | Location: midwest | Registered: December 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Turk
posted Hide Post
You can actually do instant green with dialin's the tree will hold the sides based on dial in.

Posts: 177 | Location: New Stanton | Registered: January 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
A few decades ago I entered a AHRA event where they used a .300 Pro Tree. They allowed deep staging so everyone was diving in. They only did it once and it was a total fiasco. One guy from Washington (State) event tried backing in, they red lighted him, THEN the fight started.

Mack is right, it's not fair for the average Bracket car, even as Turk says it can hold the tree based on dial in, but it's a big advantage to a .400 Pro Tree Index type car.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
As long as the timers start with the light, the faster car has no advantage. Reaction becomes part of ET.

Posts: 519 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
This isn’t to say there wouldn’t be classes based on ET. You could still have SP and SC and .90 racing – Just no delay boxes for the lights. Bracket racing would not change except that each class, Pro, SP, Sportsman would dial and go on your green. Same way with SP/SC or TD/TS. Your throttle stop timer would start with the release of the button, a bracket car would start when your green came on and you released the button. This would be the simplest thing in the world.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Dees:
As long as the timers start with the light, the faster car has no advantage. Reaction becomes part of ET.

Except the best RT that could be gotten on an instant green is about .340 or .350 or so. Human reaction time plus vehicle reaction time and rollout.

So if you’re dialed 3 tenths faster than the other guy, you just leave when he takes off and your green light will be on by the time you leave and you’d have a way better light. Heck as long as you are the faster guy, even if it’s a 3 second difference you could use the delay box and react when the opponent leaves and you’d beat him in the tree by tenths every time.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Instant green is a disadvantage to slower reacting car as in reaction time off the green lite. A 12 sec. car will not react like a 8 sec dragster as per reaction times off the green lite,giving the dragster or quicker reacting race car the advantage on the starting line.Instant green sucks.
HAMMER

Posts: 1015 | Location: LIVERMORE CA. | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Dees:

Except the best RT that could be gotten on an instant green is about .340 or .350 or so. Human reaction time plus vehicle reaction time and rollout.

So if you’re dialed 3 tenths faster than the other guy, you just leave when he takes off and your green light will be on by the time you leave and you’d have a way better light. Heck as long as you are the faster guy, even if it’s a 3 second difference you could use the delay box and react when the opponent leaves and you’d beat him in the tree by tenths every time.

Yup, just dial .3 faster and leave off their green. If tree is shielded,leave off their vehicle movement. Dumb way to race. Nothing fair about it.

Posts: 35 | Location: midwest | Registered: December 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Not if the clock starts with the light coming on.

Posts: 519 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Phil gets it, some of you not so much.

Instant Green w/start works like this....timer starts, your vehicle rollout time and your reaction time as well as your vehicle ET are all in ONE dial in number. You want to sit on the line for 3 seconds after Green? Just add 3 seconds to your dial. Breakout is active.
You CANNOT cross over, because you don't know what the other guy has going on, and the finish line looks aren't really going to mean much, you better just repeat better than the next guy.

ELIMINATES the possibility of a cheat of the tree.

ELIMINATES the possibility of a cheat on the dial in.

ELIMINATES the dreaded starting line foul, every race is to the finish line. (Spectator appeal?)

Puts EVERY car and driver on the same level playing field.

Isn't consistency supposed to be the name of the game in bracket racing? Why not make it so?

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1645 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Make it real fun and blind the tree, and don't display the dial ins. Eek

Dave Cook
N375