DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Some Interesting Comparisons on Reaction Times
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some Interesting Comparisons on Reaction Times
 Login/Join

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted
Doing some Michael Beard like stuff.

I'd love to hear your thoughts HMMMM

reaction time comparisons

Posts: 2103 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
All those numbers make my head hurt......

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Proof that a monkey could be trained to hit the tree. Take away crosstalk, cones, blinders and most of all THE LED’S!

Shane Carr

"Sugar Shane"

Posts: 119 | Location: No clue | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
You can't manage what you don't measure.

Posts: 119 | Location: Outside | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Shane , if all that stuff was taken away, the car counts would go back to what they a supposed to be . In 1990 racers actually were not good enough and knew it .

Posts: 62 | Location: Larwill,In | Registered: September 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Plenty of reds

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6403 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I often wondered if tossing the box would help car counts. Definitely an interesting subject. Personally I would prefer we did away with them along with the air or electric shifters. I wonder what the consensus would be among bracket racers if the option was available to totally toss them. Two classes maybe footbrake and transbrake. Yeah I know there would a lot of opportunities to cheat but there always has been. Imagine the change in those statistics if there were no blinders crosstalk etc like Mr. Sugar suggested. Would there still be the top drivers winning more than most.....of course but I think it would make racing more interesting. The genie has left the bottle and I am guessing he won't be getting back in. I know a lot of people like the delay boxes I think we may be better off without them. I may be wrong. Would be an interesting poll to conduct.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
SFG 1.1 had Accutime with No Stage Lock, the other race had Complulink with Stage Lock.

On average 15% of Winners had better lights in the 000-020 range and 11% less lights in the .030-xxx range at the 1.1M.

On average 16% of Losers had better lights in the 000-020 range and 13% less lights in the .030-xxx range at the 1.1M.

With the 1.1 also showing less % by a small margin in the red light portion.

This comparison was done for the 1.1M and 50k main events in the 2 races.

I think both tracks did an exceptional job with the track and equipment. But I do think this shows a clear picture of a race with and without stage lock.

I've been outspokenly clear that I'm not a fan of the Compulink Stage Lock system as I don't think it should play a factor in deciding races.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DragRaceResults,

Posts: 2103 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
I often wondered if tossing the box would help car counts. Definitely an interesting subject. Personally I would prefer we did away with them along with the air or electric shifters. I wonder what the consensus would be among bracket racers if the option was available to totally toss them. Two classes maybe footbrake and transbrake. Yeah I know there would a lot of opportunities to cheat but there always has been. Imagine the change in those statistics if there were no blinders crosstalk etc like Mr. Sugar suggested. Would there still be the top drivers winning more than most.....of course but I think it would make racing more interesting. The genie has left the bottle and I am guessing he won't be getting back in. I know a lot of people like the delay boxes I think we may be better off without them. I may be wrong. Would be an interesting poll to conduct.

Well, take a look at what people choose to enter into now. There is no rule that only box cars can have big bucks races. There are footbrake and transbrake classes at many tracks, and I don't see them killing it. So what you would probably have if you eliminate the boxes, is fewer previously box racers...racing.

I'm not sure I understand the mentality that says "I don't race box. But we should get rid of boxes and all electronic stuff that others are choosing to use, because it's good for the sport." People do have, and should have choices.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6403 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I respect your position. I get there are options. I understand progress, I also fondly remember before there were delay boxes crosstalk blinders electric shifters prevalent. I have my car setup to run both with a removable box. I am not looking for an argument I just wonder what the consensus would be if the option were put out to the entirety of the bracket racing and class racing sportsman community to eliminate much of the electronics that we have, if racers would embrace that or not.

If you could eliminate the blinders boxes shifters and crosstalk data acquisition would you???

No is a perfectly fine answer. Maybe it is the best thing that happened to sportsman drag racing. Impossible to rewind and know for certain.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Scott,

I'll share my thoughts on this topic as in the past 10 years of doing Fling events, I have spent alot of time learning about timing systems, stage loc etc. My history of 25 years+ of racing alongside guys like Bertozzi, Labbous, Bogacki, Lamb, and having raced NHRA races including T/D (Compulink with Stageloc) as well as many bracket events (tracks using Compulink, tracks using Accutime, you name it).

I don't see any relation to better or worse reaction times with or without stagloc, or either brand timing system for that matter. I beleive the racers I mentioned above (including myself) have stacks of logbooks filled with decades of racing under all combinations of Compulink, Accutime, NHRA, Bracket Races, Stageloc and Non-Stageloc events and would agree with my thoughts.

While I can appreciate all the due diligence you did gather data from 2 events, I respectuflly disagree with your blanket statements.

IMO having the starting line prepared properly (per Brockmeyers or Rusty's instructions) is more important than all of the above. And there are not too many people that do it better than Jay Livingston and Jason Murray at National Trails.

Makes for good coversation though.

Peter

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Peter Biondo,

Posts: 73 | Location: Queens, NY | Registered: October 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What is stage Loc??? Is this the 8 second rule?

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Why not just have more races with the choice of box or no box?
Have a box only race here and a no box race there.
A racer can do what they want and run either.
No box races for the most part pay less, but if there were more races separate there would be more race dates for the tracks where each type of racers runs the way they want.
Why pay more money to the racers with every bracket racing aid known to man?
Maybe no box will step up in the payouts.

Just saying.

I'm not in a bad mood, I just look that way.........

Posts: 990 | Location: Kingman, Arizona | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
SFG Labor Day......The tree was so long it made my eyeballs itch!

Posts: 146 | Location: Left of Center | Registered: February 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
What is stage Loc??? Is this the 8 second rule?

Have you ever seen a dragster pre-stage, then stage, when they deck it on the T-brake the car rocks back flickering the stage bulb?

If you have, you also know the red light comes on and the dragster loses automatically.

With stage lock its like flicker protection. If your dragster backs up when you deck it, you won't lose automatically by the red light that would normally come on, without flicker protection (stage lock).

https://youtu.be/3A5BIAz6W2w
^^^^The only complaint I've heard, is that it glitches on detecting the stage beam broken. You can be deep and not know it!

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

^^^^The only complaint I've heard, is that it glitches on detecting the stage beam broken. You can be deep and not know it!

Did he roll deep and that triggered the red?

Posts: 119 | Location: Outside | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A39Coronet:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Did he roll deep and that triggered the red?

I have no clue exactly what infraction that red light is indicating occured. For the simple reason it's not based in reality.

What's your best guess as an infraction, it mis-determined four bulbs lit, tree coming down?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I don't understand how Stage Lock changes anything if you haven't rolled back.
We had one issue that reared it's head in the first pair Friday morning, the photographer had two strobe lights behind the left wall that triggered red lights just after the car in the left lane was staged. This happened twice and we had him move the strobes. Just like a little kid he moved them back and the very next pair it happened again, at that point I ordered them gone or I would destroy them.
The tree delay setting was by the event director's order, if you hated it try standing there watching it for the entire event.
The biggest thing I felt would be an issue was as obvious as the nose on your face and that is we don't have a divider between the front and back of the tree, I really thought everyone new would notice that but I never heard a word about it.

Posts: 181 | Location: COLUMBUS | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
So what ever became of the tree readers? When we have to unhook our drive shaft pick-ups does that make the tree readers not work?
BB asking for a friend

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BarneyB:
So what ever became of the tree readers? When we have to unhook our drive shaft pick-ups does that make the tree readers not work?
BB asking for a friend

BB’s got jokes lol.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post