New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good bye NHRA
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
My friend who for the past few years, 10+, has chased super gas all over the country has quit. Called me this morning and said the car was gone as he had decided that it wasn't worth paying NHRA so much to let him work so hard. No telling how much money he spent and he spent plenty. Guess you can only push people so far

Posts: 6196 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I don't think nhra made him do anything. Racing is voluntary, if he found himself spending to much money racing SG then bracket race. Or find another hobby. Nhra simply provides a venue and if you don't want to pay there entry fees then move on.

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
EXACTLY!

Fern, your friend has been looking for a reason to quit for a long time.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
HE is a smart man….

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Smart men don’t do any of this, class or bracket racing.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Never realized that NHRA held a gun to people's heads and forced them to race...You would think that kind of information would get out eventually and something were done about it. I hope all the other racers out there are safe.

Posts: 118 | Location: Imperial, CA | Registered: September 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Laughing very hard This ^^^^

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Geeze it sounds like he was working for "the man".

You don't cut off your d1ck because you get in a fight with your wife. Duh!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6353 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
He has bracket raced. Something like 15 foot brake track championships, got bored with that and moved up to Top where he got 2 track championships, then moved to SG where he did pretty good actually, won one race and seemed to always make rounds. Raced the last race at Charlotte and sold the car. But Ed you know darn well that if you can afford it NHRA holds that carrot (Wally) out there that everyone wants. He got 1 and was in no way going to run out of money. Guess he just got tired of financing Glendora

Posts: 6196 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nhra simply provides a venue and if you don't want to pay there entry fees then move on.

The entry fees are the easy part. It's the incrementalism with re-certs, obsolescence and ever growing list of requirements (which they may or may not chose to enforce).

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2324 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
No the problem is entry fee VS pay-out we could go to a divisional this weekend but can run a 3 day race that pays more EACH day for $20 bucks more you do the math and we already have
'wally" on the wall so that's not an issue.

Look at the entry list for the Nat event at Richmond last weekend, sign of things to come.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HR3377,

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm real curious to see the turnout at the Indy Division 3 points meet this weekend.
Stock Eliminator is typically one of the most well attended categories.
A few years ago,there was a bump spot in the 128 car field.
I'm planning on going,but it might be the last one for awhile.Just when you think gas can't go up anymore,it just shot up another .25 cents yesterday .
It is increasingly becoming less practical.
Maybe when you have big and small Wallys on the shelf and you get older and see your 401k wiped out,you look at the economics of it closer.
US41 Dragway in Morocco,Indiana was having 2 10k bracket races this weekend.
(Saw on Facebook that they rescheduled this race by the way)
Races like this really make more sense in the grand scheme of things.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The saying "you can't put a price on a good time" applies here.

I raced NHRA races since 1966
Bracket raced locally
Ran National and Division races when I could and had the $$ and a car that would work in their arena

Won some races and sure it was way cheaper and paid better in the past for sure

I just sold everything I have and not because it cost to much....I just felt like it was to much for me anymore age wise and my ability to keep up the pace so top speak......and work full time as I do.

I did everything myself....pretty much always have....

I renewed my license and membership in April.....got my car recerted on everything

It was therapy because I kind of knew the negatives were stacking up....

Made the decision to sell and everything went quickly.....car and trailer tomorrow....motorhome already gone

The fun I had racing especially in the last 10 years or so could hardly be matched

The NHRA arena and races were always the top for me and still are even though it has really gone downhill

I'd never quit if I was younger or retired and still able to pay what it costs to compete today.....

I have Wally's...they collect dust but each one has memories that are really good...

Yea I've won bracket races too but never any big $$ races and usually when you win there it's still not the same.....

I'm sure a big $$ bracket win would be awesome as well but that is not anything I ever pursued for a lot of reasons....

Not sure if I'll ever get in a car again but I still watch all the NHRA races and to be honest they are far more entertaining than any big $$ bracket race....they are all boring as hell to me....

Pay your $$ and race where you want or don't...it's your choice....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Well said SCDiv1

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
It's all relative.

Most people get out of their hobby for a personal reason and it is NOT just drag racing.

I have a close friend of mine that quit drag racing a few years back and went bass fishing as a NEW hobby. He now says he should have stuck with drag racing, it was cheaper. I'm sure he's joking but he does spend A LOT on fishing.

To compare his fishing, $40k for an average USED NICE bass boat w/150HP, $30k to $50 for an average USED truck to pull it, maintenance/storage $2k to $3k a year, trailer $1000, fishing poles at $150 to $200 each and you need several, fishing lures at $7 to $10 each and you need A LOT of them, 100 or more, etc. etc.

Depending on what boat you want a new bass boat can be as expensive as a drag car:
https://www.thayersmarine.com/...bEAAYASAAEgLppvD_BwE

Try golf, $100 Per Person or more for greens fees for 18 holes, clubs at $200 to $400 each, times 10, golf balls at $12 to $20 a sleeve (3 balls). Many of these guys golf several times a week, equals more $$$.

Basically any hobby is expensive, it just depends on how much you want to spend.
Only you can decide when it's time to quit.

The price of fuel can't be considered because for any sport you will need to drive somewhere so that is the same.

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 954 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I still race at 71 years of age for some reason but I think we all will see something that hasn't happened in about 40 years. Travel costs will eventually affect LODRS events, especially in the Midwest and West where travel is usually 200 to 500 miles between race tracks.
The events will still happen but without 400-500 of those big entry fees for small payouts the tracks will have problems paying NHRA their "$15-$20,000" fee for the event. Then, who will want to host a LODRS to lose money?

Same for big bucks brackets, they will happen for a while but eventually when you pay enough $400-$700 fuel bills to attend those races and don't get in on the "split", you will look local.

We are very lucky in Iowa, especially the last few years. May- 2-$11Ks in Eddyville, $5K-$10 the next weekend at Cedar Falls, the next weekend at Cedar Falls the SFG 3-$25K races, a week off then 3-$7K races at Eddyville, then 3-$7K at TriState in Earlville in July, then 3-$7K at Cedar Falls in August as well as another 2-$11ks at Cedar Falls in August. Couple $$ races in Sept and Oct.

I doubt any state has that kind of racing within a 150 mile radius, we are lucky for sure, especially when it is over $500.00 to fill my old motorhome.

Be safe, support local events and good luck to all of us under the current political lack of leadership.

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1216 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Again, the NHRA doesn’t have a gun to anyone’s head, never did. NHRA rules are for everyone, you don’t get to cherry pick which ones you will abide by and you don’t compete in the LODRS for the money, you do it for the most coveted trophy in all of racing, the WALLY and all the glory that comes with it. Tired of hearing this nonsense about how people are quitting due to the NHRA, racers who have been looking for a reason to quit for a long time. Declining Health and old age aside, the TRUTH and the FACTS are quiting racing whether it be class or bracket racing always has to do with the fact that they ain’t winning and/or they have been racing at a level they can’t afford to.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Stop supporting Glendora............
It's San Dimas now, must have got too expensive for NHRA too.

I'm not in a bad mood, I just look that way.........

Posts: 990 | Location: Kingman, Arizona | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
I still race at 71 years of age for some reason but I think we all will see something that hasn't happened in about 40 years. Travel costs will eventually affect LODRS events, especially in the Midwest and West where travel is usually 200 to 500 miles between race tracks.
The events will still happen but without 400-500 of those big entry fees for small payouts the tracks will have problems paying NHRA their "$15-$20,000" fee for the event. Then, who will want to host a LODRS to lose money?

Same for big bucks brackets, they will happen for a while but eventually when you pay enough $400-$700 fuel bills to attend those races and don't get in on the "split", you will look local.

We are very lucky in Iowa, especially the last few years. May- 2-$11Ks in Eddyville, $5K-$10 the next weekend at Cedar Falls, the next weekend at Cedar Falls the SFG 3-$25K races, a week off then 3-$7K races at Eddyville, then 3-$7K at TriState in Earlville in July, then 3-$7K at Cedar Falls in August as well as another 2-$11ks at Cedar Falls in August. Couple $$ races in Sept and Oct.

I doubt any state has that kind of racing within a 150 mile radius, we are lucky for sure, especially when it is over $500.00 to fill my old motorhome.

Be safe, support local events and good luck to all of us under the current political lack of leadership.

Jok

Triple 7’s at Cordova late in the season too. Nice way to put the cars away

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6353 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
NHRA is notorious for doing things to run off Spectators, Sponsors and Racers. Just think where they could be if they supported us like we support them.
Racing is Fun and it is exciting to watch, it should be growing and not shrinking. They have classes for all ages and budgets. Participation should be way higher than it is.

I think we probably had 4 times more bracket racers in 2002 than we do in 2022. It should be growing if anything not shrinking.

There must be many contributing factors involved but large one is NHRA may be one of the most Money Hungry "Non Profit" organization there is. And many of their rules are not safety oriented but profit motives.
And just like the Pro Stock Truck deal, very few wanted that class but they did it and it started to take off and become very popular then they shut it down. That was Stupid.
Pro Stock Bikes were bought out by Harley and NHRA let them write their own rules to make an inferior Harley dominate the class. Allowed them to run almost twice as many cubic inches, 4 valve heads, billet blocks and anything else Harley wanted while requiring others to run 70's factory blocks and 2 valve heads. NHRA and Harley ruined that class.
NASCAR allows you to bring in coolers with food and drinks. NHRA searches spectators for contraband food and drinks......... Then totally rips you off for any food and drinks you buy there.

I like NHRA but they have a problem shooting themselves in the foot and yet keep reloading.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3963 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post