Find
Notify
Tools

how much methanol
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Not to derail another thread. How much methanol do you normally haul in trailer. Figuring most will reply enough for weekend or something to that effect.
I have always had enough to run full race with some extra. That was headsup where you know number of rounds to final.

WIth stuff like big money races where its almost impossible to figure with numb er of small races leading up to. Do you haul butt load or just enough to get by or figure to buy some there?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Primer plus is probably not the answer you were looking for but an answer for sure.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
No primer plus may limit amount you use. How Much you carry would be decide by rounds for weekend, availability and possibly amount of use prior to run which is where primer comes in.

For record I have primer system. Not a primer plus but more of home built system I have run for decades. Well on bracket cars needless to say Top alcohol stuff does not use them. Then I have never run someone else's system on my stuff or someone I worked with for most part.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I usually have 55 gallons or more.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
When I hauled drums, I always carried a full one and a partial. Now I always have 11 full 5-gallon jugs.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 155 | Location: Syracuse NY | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
1/5 of Cutty ...... probably not the answer you were looking for.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
not looking for any number. Just wondering how many carried excess in case of availability issue or maybe just knowledge that they had purest fuel every run.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Heck I carry 40 to 55 gallons for T-N-T knowing that getting 3 runs is more wish than happening. Not to mention 5 to 10(5 gallons makes 15 to 20 mixed) gallons of the yellow fuel that makes power level jump big time. Just in case I get feeling that need for more speed than she wants to give. LOL

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Have 22 5 gallon jugs, 9 in each fuel rack in each fenderwell of my trailer...18 have methanol and the other 4 stored up stairs of trailer have 116 maximal to keep separated. I try not to change fuel during a race but in some cases have to on really long trips...

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
I imagine the law is still the same, if you have over 1,000 pounds you have to have hazardous material signs.
I've been close a few times.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11005 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Well then as long as under 125 gallons you are fine,allowing little wiggle room there since alky is less than water. I am good with 70 gallons of wiggle room.

Different subject . I know with the really good stuff at 44 gallons Homeland security will want to talk to you. Man just under the wire by 34 gallons. LMAO

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Most I ever have is about 75 gallons, a full drum and 4 full 5 gallon jugs.
I burn 3 gallons in 1/8 mile pass and 5 gallons on a 1/4 mile pass plus warm ups, so you figure it out what I use on a race weekend. My fuel supplier delivers to my house and loves me haha

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I think the HAZ MAT rule is 440 lbs. Not positive but that is what a stock car racer told me. If the DOD guy wants to be picky that includes what is in the car or cars fuel cells as well.

I take one 30-gal barrel, three 5-gal jugs. If I have to I would not hesitate to ask another racer using alcohol if I could borrow some and replace it later. Never seen a difference in methanol, top lube or not.

Be safe out there and good luck to you all at the Million!!!

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We travel with 70 gallons. SBC door car and a BBC Dragster. Hopefully if we use all 70 gallons on a trip we've made enough money that whatever the cost of drum is at the track it really doesn't matter.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I bring 25 gallons, which if I do good is pretty close. I need one more jug to be safe to get through 2 day races.

If I race a regular weekend program just 1 day i usually can get by with 12-15.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
I think the HAZ MAT rule is 440 lbs. Not positive but that is what a stock car racer told me. If the DOD guy wants to be picky that includes what is in the car or cars fuel cells as well.

The hazmat rule is less than 1000 lbs of fuel. So two drums is OK but 3 drums is too many, if you carry by the drum.

Posts: 1 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Three just barely puts you over at 1093 lbs

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We carry a full drum or close to most events.
Just got used to wrestling with the barrel.
And knowing we have plenty of quality fuel is a plus.
It's worth the trouble.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I believe the law without placards is 440 lbs of fuel, and must be in containers of 8 gallons or less.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post