DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Diabetics step inside
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diabetics step inside
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Few question for those fighting diabetes. Not asking for doctor advice I have one of those.

Main thing is what medication are you taking and thoughts on it.

Reason asking is doctor has me on metformin and far from happy. Getting drunk can be fun but not every time I bend over or change positions quickly. Looking for input from users of other medications.

As for effectiveness I guess its ok although he doubled (4 =200 MG) it till I raised hell about spinning head part,then prescribed one little blue green(g something) instead of two metformins. I did drop from 11.3 A1C to 8.1 n under 2 months,mostly diet changes IMO. while on 2(1000 MG) PER DAY.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Metformin is the mainstay for diabetic therapy as long as your stomach and head can handle some of the side effects and your kidneys are functioning fine

The therapy he added on was most likely glipizide if i had to take a guess

The absolute best therapy you can take is insulin, but if you do not want to stick yourself then the best is going to be the metformin, glipizide, diet and exercise

Another reason I say the above are the best is due to cost, there are other therapies that are not as time proven as the metformin and glipizide and cost 10 fold the amount

You should be on a blood pressure medication that would most likely be lisinopril or losartan. You should also be on a cholesterol medication such as Crestor or Lipitor. The blood pressure and cholesterol medications are something that diabetics should be placed on.

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Metformin maybe great for controlling diabetes,but being dizzy headed when you work on ladders,roofs,walking 2x4 20' off ground.ride harley and drive race car sucks. Guess he's is going to have to switch to just glizide. Wife need's to step up the sexercise.

Anyone ever try the diabetes reversing diets.Heck only 4 or 5 hundred of them out. One probably works or helps a lot.

Now to find something I can eat that taste worth eating and I am not a rabbit(although they taste pretty good) and not a freaky vegan.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of RB72Duster
posted Hide Post
I was diagnosed on February 13th, 2015 with an A1C of 13.5. I was immediately prescribed Metformin. I was taking two a day but never had or heard of the side effects you're having. I made the goal of changing my lifestyle so that I wouldn't have to take any meds. I looked into many diets and decided on a keto diet. I ate 20G of carbs or less per day. I lost 60lbs and got my A1C down to 5.5 in 2 months and was taken off of Metformin. I no longer do the keto diet and have put some weight back on, but my A1C 4 months ago was 4.8. The Keto diet for me was easy, I love meat and ate nothing but meat and eggs for a couple months. Every indicator of health improved contrary to what my Dr. thought would happen. My doctor told me I would trade Metformin for cholesterol pills but that wasn't the case with me. If you decide to try 20G of carbs a day, be aware that you will feel terrible for about a week as your body switches from burning carbs to burning fat for energy. It's called the keto flu but once you get through that, you will feel better than you have in a long time.

Posts: 152 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
No problem eating meats.Freezer full of bambi meat and its about only red meat we eat. As for loosing weight I already did that,before diagnoses. Main reason I went to doctor is was tired of loosing unexplained weight. Well that and damn numb feet thing. Life time of fighting to keep weight down and then loosing with zero effort is alarming. Good part car should be .06 quicker then would have before.

Loss muscle mass and strength part sucks. Went from 350 bench,250 work out weight down to 150 to 170 workout weight,admittedly time off did not help,but damn. Loosing 2 1/2" hard earned bicep size really sucks.

Another issue I have come across is trying to build size back. Protein main thing for building muscle,yet protein in large quantity bad for liver which is also diabetic issue.

The burning fat thing I think is key to reversing diabetes. Read article that stated fat around liver is real issue in most cases and pancreas as we are told. Then it was on internet and we know how reliable that is.LOL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

DRR Sportsman
Picture of RB72Duster
posted Hide Post
My symptoms were unexplained loss of weight, going to the bathroom constantly, constantly thirsty and blurred vision.

Posts: 152 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I was revising while you where posting.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
So eating red meat good and bambi is cholesterol free.Good. Tons of protein good muscle bad for liver,we will call it toss up.LOL

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
i have started a simple version of Keto this week. going to step it up next week. i did slip yesterday and had a piece of fried fish.

Tee
wjoh155052@aol.com

Schooled by Scotty
http://www.scottyrichardsonsdragracingschool.com/
615-804-2487

My Home Track
New London Dragway.

www.biondoracing.com
www.racepartdepot.com

Loose Change does not smoke tires because i didn't teach him to do that.

Posts: 2159 | Location: Rustburg VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Anyone have an y type of example meals or list of foods on Keto. Looked up cpl places and all are just info on how well it works not idea of what you eat or don't.

May have to wait cpl weeks anyway its blackberry cobbler season around here right now.LOL

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I take metformin and have for many years...2000 mg a day...I also take glipizide once a day and piglatizone once a day...all are diabetes meds...my number was 6.2 a week ago...I also take meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, water and one for nerve pain in the feet...

I hate taking all these pills but it has kept me going for many years now....sigh...I have never had any side effects from any of them...just lucky I guess...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
No side effects from Metformin for me, but wasn't doing the job.

I stick myself every night with Lantus, that did the job and is simple. Hardly feel that little needle unlike the one we jab our finger with to check the BS every morning.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Color me happy I have never had to worry about diabetes. At least up until now and I'm planning on the same for the future.... we'll see.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I was diagnosed in about 1995 at 38. I went in for a physical to get my ET license. I thought the doc was lying to me. I always had high blood pressure growing up but never took meds for it. When he diagnosed me I made lifestyle changes and went from 245 lbs to 200 lbs. I did that with working out and diet change. Fast forward to 50. They found my BS (A1C) to be too high at 7.8. I managed to control my A1C under 7.3 until then. That was 12 years ago. Now I am on Xigduo 1000mg twice and Tradjenta 500mg once. A1C was 8.2 last trip to the doc but no injections yet. I do get lightheaded occasionally but I've learned to deal with it and know eventually I will be on on Insulin. I will wait until it is absolutely necessary though. I'm also taking Lisinopril and Simvastatin for cholesterol and high blood pressure as mentioned previously. Diet and exercise lasted for 15 years so hopefully you will be able to keep yours at bay longer too. BTW I have never been up to double digit A1C so take what they tell you seriously.

Posts: 82 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bbtommyd:
I was diagnosed in about 1995 at 38. I went in for a physical to get my ET license. I thought the doc was lying to me. I always had high blood pressure growing up but never took meds for it. When he diagnosed me I made lifestyle changes and went from 245 lbs to 200 lbs. I did that with working out and diet change. Fast forward to 50. They found my BS (A1C) to be too high at 7.8. I managed to control my A1C under 7.3 until then. That was 12 years ago. Now I am on Xigduo 1000mg twice and Tradjenta 500mg once. A1C was 8.2 last trip to the doc but no injections yet. I do get lightheaded occasionally but I've learned to deal with it and know eventually I will be on on Insulin. I will wait until it is absolutely necessary though. I'm also taking Lisinopril and Simvastatin for cholesterol and high blood pressure as mentioned previously. Diet and exercise lasted for 15 years so hopefully you will be able to keep yours at bay longer too. BTW I have never been up to double digit A1C so take what they tell you seriously.

The Lantus is very easy to do, and for me no side effects. I do understand though if you don't have insurance that will cover it, it is a very expensive drug.

I can almost control my A1C with diet, but it is very hard to do, not impossible. I chose to live my life differently than some, so I will enjoy (responsibly) and do the Lantus. I don't drink much (alky) and don't do a lot of sweets, but Angel Hair Pasta is my Kryptonite and the whole wheat version ain't fit for my dogs! Smile

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Going to try keto diet.

I do cheat but as reward. I avoid lots of stuff and don't eat bad stuff so when I do enjoy something it has to be rewarding.

I agree with Mike whole wheat pasta sucks,I almost felt bad about putting it trash,felt bad for the trash. Pasta is wife's kryptonite or when used right Afrodiziak .LOL

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm not diabetic (at least yet) but both of my parents and 3 of my Grandparents were(all type 2). I don't know what medication either of my Grandmothers were on, but neither of them died from anything related to diabetes. My Grandfather didn't develop diabetes until he was in his 70's. Diabetes was listed at a contributing factor in his death (congestive heart failure), but he was 93. He took metformin. My Dad became diabetic in 1997 when "they" lowered the threshold. I'm not saying that lowering the threshold was bad, his levels are high enough now (21 years later) to be considered diabetic by the old standards. He takes metformin. IIRC his A1C is somewhere in the 7's. He's 83 now and still healthy at least for someone his age. He pretty much eats whatever he wants....but again, he's 83. He had bypass surgery in 2011 but hasn't been in the hospital since for anything.

Now, for the possibly educational part of my post. My Mom had (type 2) diabetes for over 30 years before her death. She took it on like a challenge. (I suppose it is) She pretty much made a pin cushion of herself checking her glucose levels. She kept a little notebook where she wrote down everything she ate, as well as her glucose levels before and after. She researched, planned and pondered everything she ate, but still couldn't get her A1C much under 8. She died 11 years ago (age 72) but diabetes wasn't even considered a contributing factor in her death. (Hemophagocytosis) I've observed family members (and others) with type 2 diabetes most of my life. My conclusion is that every single case is different. I recommend doing like my Mom did. Keep a log of everything you eat and drink ,and check your glucose level frequently, at least until you learn how different foods affect you.

Now for me. Perhaps sometimes genetics are self correcting. I may become diabetic tomorrow but my A1C was in the 4's a year ago. I check my (fasting) glucose level at least a couple times a month and it's usually in the 70's.

I need to add. Several years ago a few times I got dizzy, my heartbeat kinda fast, felt clammy, mostly when I was working in the heat. I told my Mom about it and she said my glucose level was low (she called it "sugar") She gave me a meter, some test strips, and on the the pricky things. The next time I felt like that my blood glucose level was 58. My Mom said keep a pack of lifesavers in my pocket and eat one of two if I felt that way. I finally figured out my glucose level would drop when it was hot...I was sweating quite a bit, and I ate or drank something that had an artificial sweetener in it. I now drink mostly water or unsweet tea and haven't had a glucose level drop like that in years. I suspect artificial sweeteners play a part in developing type 2 diabetes in some people. These sweeteners are engineered to "trick" the brain into thinking they're sugar. The brain says "Sugar!!!! I need some insulin" The pancreas releases insulin to take care of the sugar spike, but there isn't any sugar there. After a while insulin resistance (type 2 diabetes) develops.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Woody B,

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woody B:
I'm not diabetic (at least yet) but both of my parents and 3 of my Grandparents were(all type 2). I don't know what medication either of my Grandmothers were on, but neither of them died from anything related to diabetes. My Grandfather didn't develop diabetes until he was in his 70's. Diabetes was listed at a contributing factor in his death (congestive heart failure), but he was 93. He took metformin. My Dad became diabetic in 1997 when "they" lowered the threshold. I'm not saying that lowering the threshold was bad, his levels are high enough now (21 years later) to be considered diabetic by the old standards. He takes metformin. IIRC his A1C is somewhere in the 7's. He's 83 now and still healthy at least for someone his age. He pretty much eats whatever he wants....but again, he's 83. He had bypass surgery in 2011 but hasn't been in the hospital since for anything.

Now, for the possibly educational part of my post. My Mom had (type 2) diabetes for over 30 years before her death. She took it on like a challenge. (I suppose it is) She pretty much made a pin cushion of herself checking her glucose levels. She kept a little notebook where she wrote down everything she ate, as well as her glucose levels before and after. She researched, planned and pondered everything she ate, but still couldn't get her A1C much under 8. She died 11 years ago (age 72) but diabetes wasn't even considered a contributing factor in her death. (Hemophagocytosis) I've observed family members (and others) with type 2 diabetes most of my life. My conclusion is that every single case is different. I recommend doing like my Mom did. Keep a log of everything you eat and drink ,and check your glucose level frequently, at least until you learn how different foods affect you.

Now for me. Perhaps sometimes genetics are self correcting. I may become diabetic tomorrow but my A1C was in the 4's a year ago. I check my (fasting) glucose level at least a couple times a month and it's usually in the 70's.

I need to add. Several years ago a few times I got dizzy, my heartbeat kinda fast, felt clammy, mostly when I was working in the heat. I told my Mom about it and she said my glucose level was low (she called it "sugar") She gave me a meter, some test strips, and on the the pricky things. The next time I felt like that my blood glucose level was 58. My Mom said keep a pack of lifesavers in my pocket and eat one of two if I felt that way. I finally figured out my glucose level would drop when it was hot...I was sweating quite a bit, and I ate or drank something that had an artificial sweetener in it. I now drink mostly water or unsweet tea and haven't had a glucose level drop like that in years. I suspect artificial sweeteners play a part in developing type 2 diabetes in some people. These sweeteners are engineered to "trick" the brain into thinking they're sugar. The brain says "Sugar!!!! I need some insulin" The pancreas releases insulin to take care of the sugar spike, but there isn't any sugar there. After a while insulin resistance (type 2 diabetes) develops.

That is interesting..

I walk around all day with a container of artificially sweetened raspberry lemonade to drink. My A1C is consistently in the 6's..

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Good information. I too am Type 2 . My fathers side of the family had a lot of type 2 , my father was diagnosed as T2 at 52 years old , I was diagnosed 2 years ago at 60. I was loosing weight quickly , loss of vision I thought was work related computers ETC 6-8 hours a day , couldn't drink enough water and the other things people here have spoke of. At the race track my lights were crazy I knew something was wrong. I lost 23 pounds in one month and finally decided to go to the Dr. I was scared to go because I lost my mother to pancreatic cancer back in 99. I was greatly relieved to find out it was Type 2. Since that time I have finally got myself off the metformin and am controlling it with diet and some exercise. Still experience some high and low days and lack of energy. I have found a routine of eating on time and keeping up with what I eat to help. Best of luck with yours.

Posts: 65 | Location: Horse Cave Ky | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
For those that have low blood sugar from time to time, put a little bit of honey between your teeth and gums and don't try to swallow it. The body will absorb that almost instantly. Make sure you aren't allergic to it first though. Obviously if not at home, lifesavers will work.