New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Been looking for a new Highlander for my wife. Dealers seem to think they are doing me a favor to sell me a car. All offer me MSRP up front and get surprised to ask about rebates, customer loyalty discounts, etc. Yesterday they all seemed to be confused about if Toyota was back in production. 3 say yes, but will be 2020 till end of year, 3 said 2021 production to start in Sept. But for now, production has stopped again. Anyone have some info on this for me. I think the Highlander is made in Indiana.

Posts: 75 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Try finding a different dealer. Chevy dealer around us is low on inventory and want almost MSRP on everything my parents looked at. We have a big Toyota dealer near that was still taking thousands off of MSRP. It's rough right now because supply is low for most brands and dealers are buying cars from other dealers to make deals with. So you aren't competing against just other regular buyers now, but also other dealers that have been trying to get the same cars.

Posts: 66 | Location: Glen Burnie | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
I shopped the net and found my Tundra in New Hampshire bought and had it shipped to me in Va. Still i paid what i wanted to pay around 6k under MSRP.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1401 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Try Costco if your a member. I’ve had great luck buying cars on their program

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Rebates & discounts are offered to jumpstart a slow market. If there are plenty of people looking to buy and not a lot of inventory then there is no reason for the dealer to slash prices or offer a ton of incentives. I work for a new car dealer (not Toyota) and I can tell you our sales department is having a killer month. Don't think for a second the dealer doesn't know whats hot and what's available and then prices accordingly. If you've been to a few dealers and experienced the same thing, then I think it safe to say the market is just not in your favor right now if you are determined to get a great deal. Supply & demand.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I can tell you our sales department is having a killer month.

What would you attribute that to (assume we're talking new cars)? The unemployment filing are off the charts. Surely a $1200. stimulus can't mean that much to the purchase of a car?

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
No one seems to know. I work for an exotic car dealer in NY City, many of our customers are pretty financially insulated from this so its not a real good comparison to a Toyota dealer in Oklahoma but as far as we can tell it just seems like the whole market has been depressed for months an now as we start to open up there is a surge of sales that would have taken place in the last few months.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
100% agree with Billy.
It's NOT just cars either.

I brought my motorhome in for service last week.
As we were there to pick it up we went and visited the sales department.
This place is kind of small (Longview RV). They sold 92 campers/trailers and RV's for the month of June and it was only the 20th with 10 more days still to go in the month.
Basically almost ALL their inventory was SOLD.
They said, everything is going for MSRP or MORE.

All their Class A diesel coaches were SOLD.
They aren't expecting any new Class A coaches until MAYBE December or later.

Also, my wife sells Real Estate, NOTHING is staying on the market for more than 7 days (as long as it's priced fairly).
It's crazy, bidding wars, etc.
People buying site unseen with NO contingencies or inspections paying $10k more than asking.

People have money and they are spending it.
Evidently they never received the memo about the high unemployment.

To be fair I would say these people that are buying cars, trucks, homes, RV's, etc, probably aren't the ones laid off.
They are probably looking to shelter some of that "Stock Market" $$ they took out.
Big Grin

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Now looking at a Buick Enclave. This has a 9 speed transmission. Any information on this transmission, good or bad?

Posts: 75 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Runner-up:
Now looking at a Buick Enclave. This has a 9 speed transmission. Any information on this transmission, good or bad?

Stick with Toyota

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1401 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
This has a 9 speed transmission. Any information on this transmission

That trans, along with a 10 sp longitudinal trans, was developed in a collaborative effort between GM and Ford. With GM doing most of the work on the 9 sp transverse trans. The collaboration was dissolved and Ford decided to use their 8 sp instead of the new 9 sp. For whatever that's worth.

9 denotes 9 forward gears
T denotes transverse placement within the vehicle’s powertrain system
The final XX (such as 50) denotes the unit’s robustness, with a higher figure, such as 9T50, capable of handling more power than a 9T30

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Canted Valve,

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post