Find
Notify
Tools

Floor Treatment
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted
As much as I like the look of the grey Epoxy floor covering that is not going to happen. I have 7600 square feet of concrete in my new building and I am not going to pay that much to have them done. Plus it is not easily repaired. I will have a car lift, cars, Motorhome, shelving and Forklift in there so durability and the ability to repair it is important to.

"How much does it cost to epoxy a floor?
Epoxy flooring costs ranged from $1,407 to $2,942 for the US in 2019 according to HomeAdvisor. Professional epoxy flooring installation costs anywhere from $3 to $12 per square foot including materials and labor. Equipment and material alone will cost about $2 to $5 per square foot."

Not going to spend $70,000 to do my floors, simply not going to happen. So my question is what other options are available?
I want something durable, light colored, easy to clean and low cost. I am thinking about just doing something like the Water Seal stuff. Has anyone done that and how well did it work? That is does it make clean up easier? I will have cars and a forklift in my shop and those are tough on floor coverings. My thinking is if I do the water seal thing it would have to be applied again every so often at least in the high traffic areas. Really all the water seal stuff would do is make it easier to clean up mess.

Is there a paint that works well? If I am going to paint it or anything like that I want to do it before it gets any dirt or oil etc on it so it will stick better. Even paint with that much area would be expensive.
The concrete has cured and the walls are not up yet, now would be a good time to do something.

Like to know what you have done or recommend. Thanks,

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3989 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
All you have to do is acid wash floor. Roll on epoxy and stay out for a good while. Any paint store(not home depot or Slowe's) can get you on right path for materials.

Reread post. No wallls great. Just wash it down according to acid instrauction rinse and allow time as on instructions and then roll on paint of epoxy. Las epoxy I bought was 37 a gallon.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Only 7600 sq ft? Holy chit!

I worked in a cabinet factory for a while that had epoxy floors. Beautiful and cleaned up easily. But repairs were an annual thing and every scratch kinda broke your heart. Forklift? Good luck.

I used a simple cure and seal on my shop floor. Helped for the first 5 years. Kinda gone now. The clear, penetrating seals are least vulnerable to damage, as they are part of the concrete. But they do little for the look and wear away eventually. Paints suck as a rule.
Very nice is staining the concrete and sealing over the top. But of course the seal is vulnerable. But easy to fix.
Polished concrete is nice, but will absorb spills.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
7600 square feet, well sort of. I will have 6000 sq ft of insulated air conditioned shop and 1600 feet of covered car port for truck and trailer. Then on other side of the car port I have two 40 foot storage containers one which will be used for paint booth or sand blasting. My shop air compressor will be in other one to keep it clean and quiet in my shop. I have 7600 sq ft of concrete and would like to protect it from oil and mess.

I do not want to stain it because I want it as light of color as possible. This shop is going to have a clean bright look to it and very well lit up.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3989 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
7600 square feet, well sort of. I will have 6000 sq ft of insulated air conditioned shop and 1600 feet of covered car port for truck and trailer. Then on other side of the car port I have two 40 foot storage containers one which will be used for paint booth or sand blasting. My shop air compressor will be in other one to keep it clean and quiet in my shop. I have 7600 sq ft of concrete and would like to protect it from oil and mess.

I do not want to stain it because I want it as light of color as possible. This shop is going to have a clean bright look to it and very well lit up.

Check these guys out. I have used their products twice now and will be doing my current garage this summer. Call them, they are very knowledgeable. I always use the premium clear as it is resistant to oil, gas and chemicals.

https://www.originalcolorchips.com/

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Anything that truly seals concrete will be a mess unless the floor is fully cured out, and that can be months?
Better get used to stains. I keep a mop in mineral spirits for oil and grease spills.

Or, contact Kurt Johnson with Total Venue Concepts, they have branched into general concrete reconditioning and surfacing services, Kurt is the man!

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1621 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
Curly, there are a lot of companies around that do and/or specialize in polishing,staining and have several sealers that would do a great job, since your floor is already cured. Might be worth doing some reseach on that, if you havent already.
Colored stains can look really nice...

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
did mine about 4 weeks after pour.pressure washed sqeeged let drythen rolled 2 part Regal brand epoxy 5000 sq ft about $2500 in materials.been on a couple years no problems.

Doing my part to raise the average IQ on this board

Posts: 51 | Location: badlands of New Mexico | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
If you want to wipe your floor with a diaper to polish it and never do any work in the shop...Epoxy is OK.

If anything will ever hit the floor, you use a grinder, or a torch, or drag anything across the floor...or in general work in the shop. Epoxy not so great.

Roll out some waterproof or concrete sealer. You keep the dust down. You can mop up a mess. You can just roll on some fresh sealer on top of the old, and save a ton of money and heartbreak.

The first chip of burn through from some sparks will kill ya.

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
This might work B?
https://www.foundationarmor.co...wEAAYASAAEgKOf_D_BwE

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4474 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post