New
Find
Notify
Tools

Houston, Tx
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Looking for some information on the following area: West Sam Houston Parkway, Houston, TX 77041. I presently live in central Pa and my company is opening a facility in the above area and has asked me to relocate. I'm just looking for some information on what the area is like, cost of living, traffic, housing/apartment costs and availability. Any info on race tracks in that area would be helpful to. Thanks

Posts: 21 | Location: york haven,pa | Registered: December 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
I can’t answer all of your questions, but I can tell you traffic sucks on the west side and really all over Houston right now. West side along Sam Houston tollway always seems busy especially during rush hours. There is a ton of construction going on right now all over town, which will eventually get better but these are pretty long projects. Local racetracks, Houston Raceway Park will be about 40-45 min from there, Pine Valley Raceway in Diboll, is probably 2 hours or a little more. Houston Motorsports park is off of the tollway on opposite side of town but they mostly run grudge/index only stuff. HRP has a limited bracket schedule, maybe 7 weekends a year, Pine Valley runs a bit more often but it’s a longer ride and they race late at night in the hotter months.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Dont forget the humidity is insane. I live in the Ft Worth area which is bad enough, when I go down I feel like I am melting lol and yes the traffic sucks, not that DFW is much better Houston reminds me of LA calif

Posts: 2405 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I took 6 weeks of training in Houston back in '81. The worst traffic I had ever seen (not west side). Anything near the Sam Houston Pky is going to be busy, that's why they built it.... years ago. 2X on the humidity. There will probably be about 6 weeks during the summer when you won't want to go outside. Baytown, Tx. has a nice facility but that's east of Houston, not something you would want to do too often. Good luck.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2330 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Did anyone mention the chitty traffic...its a busy town with too many people and not enough concrete. Often referred to as the concrete jungle.

The toll roads are very helpful. The 77041 is a very busy area as well. I don't don't know apartment rates but may be be a bit cheaper a little ****her west in Waller with a short drive in.

Race tracks are good and 4 tracks within 3 hours or so. Speed limits are 75 mph and you can get around fairly quick.

HOTTER than a well you may be surprised how hot it seems sometimes.

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post