DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Miller or Diamond Why?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Miller or Diamond Why?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Miller or Diamond dragster setup for 4.20s - 4.40s ET range. Give detailed specifics on why.

Thank You

Posts: 497 | Location: N/A | Registered: December 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Elite Chassis or Torrence Racing/Lucas Oil Fabrication Undercover if you can get one.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
I'd assume you've selected those 2 because of front suspension. Both manufacturers have a good handle on it and are good to deal with.

Posts: 2106 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
If you’re concerned about resale, you’d probably do better with the Miller.

When I built mine, I wanted something a little different than what everyone else had and was deciding between M&M and Diamond. The M&M has been a great car, but I do sometimes wish I had that full suspension. Dan at Diamond was also great to talk to.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3153 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Diamond FTW

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5302 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm on my second new Diamond dragster and couldn't be happier. Dual suspension, nice fit and finish on the body, good guy to work with. Told Dan what all I wanted on the new build and he was more then accommodating. Car has been awesome since new. Dan gave me the specs to set up the suspension and it has been flawless since day one. Where you live in reference to where the car builder is should probably be one of your criteria for who you chose but Dan is probably the most under rated car builder out there. Good Luck with whomever you chose. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with either. Kevin

Posts: 196 | Location: Corunna, Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Thrill3190
posted Hide Post
I have own multiple diamonds, my car now is 243 dual sus. 4 link anti roll going 440s. I go 1.03s 60ft car handles and drives great. I highly recommend dan and his crew at diamond. He is great to work with after the sale as well.

Level Performance
Diamond Race Cars
Fleenor Racing Transmission
KB Carburetors
Todds Extreme Paint
Moser Engineering

Posts: 178 | Location: Saline Mich | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
never owned either but it does appear to me from the outside looking in is that the miller cars seem to do well with a lot of power and looks like they handle it good.

ep-I don't see the advantage to dual suspension. can some who have it speak to the advantage.

Posts: 761 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sc4087
posted Hide Post
resale value. look at used ads and see which one of those brands you have to give away when selling.

Mike Greene

Posts: 509 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: March 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
also , Dan Davies person car runs low 4's with a pro charger. My diamond is awfully smoove down track . Cool

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If you are looking at it from a dual suspended purpose, I would tell you there is more performance advantage to be found in the Diamond mono front set up. We had front struts on our dragster in 2005 with a mono shock rear and also had a dragster after that with a mono shock front and rear set up. The struts provide comfort in the ride of the car but are limited in travel. The front mono will allow the chassis to work and allows for more adjustability in your front travel.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have had a Diamond with the front suspension / dual rear shock since 2018. I use a F2 Procharger to go 6.20's/30's (.98x 60 4.02 1/8) or a F1R Procharger to go 6.60's/6.70's (1.000 60' 4.35 1/8).

Car is very consistent. It is 15" longer than my old car so no apples to apples comparison. If I take all my 2019 time slips it's incredible how many 1000' foot times are the same.

Dan is great to work with. My son built a 2020 Diamond with a lot of Carbon and other lightweight stuff and Dan was very helpful with that. Under 1750 with a 160 lb driver. This car is very consistent too.

I'll look for a Racepak graph showing the front (and rear) shock travel and post it here.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Diamond. By far the nicest and best driving car I have ever made a lap in.
Also hard to look at for sale adds for them, well cause they usually aren't any. Everyone either keeps them or they sell fast enough they don't have to be advertised. Ask anyone who has had one what they think about them and you'll see why.

Posts: 25 | Location: K-Town | Registered: June 22, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
Never owned a diamond but have had a miller. The miller is a masterpiece compared to some but if you need anything from them after the sale forget it

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Jodie Jent
posted Hide Post
The advice I try to give anyone building a new car is narrow down the ones you are interested in, drive one if possible or talk to friends who have, talk to others who have went through the build process with said builder, feedback from others on said builder before during and after the sale, know what you want before calling the builder (detailed list is nice)- this helps the builder and you if you need to refer back to something during the build, call the builder and talk to them, how close are you to the builder if you need to visit, take the time to visit their shop, then make your final decision.

With the front suspension like Shawn mentioned it not only helps driving around but with Dan's design it does give the advantage of the front end travel which I feel makes the cars "think" they are longer than what they actually are. My last car had a setup similar to Dan's and it always worked well also with no pulling wheels out of the lights or weight on the nose etc. With Dan's design you can get after it early in the run if you want to and it will keep the tires planted.

I've been .957 60', 4.15 at 172 in my 245" dual suspended Diamond without wheelies or anything crazy at all. We built a wheelie bar for the future if needed, but honestly I don't think it will ever be needed. Feels like a 4.60 car to me... I've since calmed the 60' down to around a .990-1.000 for bracket racing weekly and honestly just to be somewhat easier on input shafts and planetaries. lol I broke a planetary right before the sfg national trail race and my converter got lost in shipping, so I had to borrow another converter (spare from Dan actually) that was a little tight for my combo to use for that race.

Lots of comments in the post I agree 100% on. Take your time and research what fits you best and make your decision.

If anyone can post a video for me I'll send one. I only get on here occasionally and don't post much anymore.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jodie Jent,

Posts: 495 | Location: Owingsville, Ky. | Registered: June 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Noticed a lot of you guys love your diamond's. Just like bunch of girls. LOL

Looking at his front suspension has given me idea of how to make FED have less top end bounce, which can be rectum tightening.

Questions I have since not most suspension savvy. Shock used, spring weight and front end weight if you know it. No where near apple to apple herebut would help short cut shock experiment some hopefully.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned, driven both, & wired/assembled both. They both have their own little things that are nice about their cars. I prefer the Diamond as the seat position and feel is better for me. Resale wouldn’t be a concern for either. Imo Diamonds seem to have a great resale value as there are less cars out there they go decently quick. I ordered my 7th Diamond for next year after driving a car without front this year it’s a lot smoother of a ride.

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

Posts: 4658 | Location: Coldwater,MI | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Dave Lanning can you provide more details regarding seat position? What I didn't like in other dragsters is how low the steering wheel is located.

In the door car I like to be on top of the steering wheel and like the top of the wheel just below chin height with my arm at a 90 degree box and not fully extended, and similar to driving a Go-Kart. I hope that makes sense?

Posts: 497 | Location: N/A | Registered: December 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
I feel like the diamond wheel sits higher then most vs where your at in the seat, not a huge fan of the lower steering wheel locations.

I’ve owned or drove a lot of brands, it’s just what comfortable to me. What area do you live in, maybe someone has one you can go sit in ?

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

Posts: 4658 | Location: Coldwater,MI | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post