New
Find
Notify
Tools

IHRA
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
Did anyone else get this message about the finals at Holly Springs? First thing I saw was $300 tow money and no entry fee. Don't exactly sound like they are going under to me.

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Did anyone else get this message about the finals at Holly Springs? First thing I saw was $300 tow money and no entry fee. Don't exactly sound like they are going under to me.

FWIW: I believe that’s the way it’s been each time we have gone to Memphis

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
And still is---

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
$300 for a tow that would take about 15 hours from here doesn't do much. Test and tune Thursday at the finals is $50.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
And still is---

I’m not sure what you are getting at. Nobody thinks IHRA is imploding now. Nor that they aren’t going to fulfill their obligations this year. Nor that they aren’t going to continue offering the same programs. Nor that anyone wants them to fail. There is simply another choice in town and a good number of tracks are making that choice for next season.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckT:
$300 for a tow that would take about 15 hours from here doesn't do much.

What? $300 would cover my fuel for the entire round trip from Columbus. I'm quite certain that no one would turn down $300 because "it doesn't do much" (which it demonstrably does). This post doesn't even sound like something you would say.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5733 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
In 2020 we went to Memphis from Florida, $300 from IHRA and $1,000 from Palm Beach (Moroso). I would do again in a heartbeat. Even going out 1st round, my grandsons got to watch and will always remember.

Sorry, racing was to be obsolete by now. I am not going to have a victim mentality. I spend what I want, when I want. Purses whether top heavy or low, I do not care. Competition, any level field competition is fun!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Just my guess but I guess the money was all there for the bracket finals and the world finals and included as part of the sale agreement. Where it goes from here is anyone's guess. Why they sold when they did is an indication of how little any of this meant to IRG. How the new owner could ever put together any type of employees to run it all on short notice like this when most previous employees left is an impossible task. I saw on a previous post they called in Michael Beard which was a smart move. I don't know how many others could be called in on short notice to help pull all of this off.

Posts: 1459 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
I saw on a previous post they called in Michael Beard which was a smart move.

I was hired by the host track, Dragway 42, a week before the event. I had no contact with IHRA. All of the race operations were handled by myself and the Dragway 42 staff. We had no rear of staging all weekend, with the exception of the main event, where track operators Greg Miller (Keystone) and Mike McCracken (Beaver Springs) jumped in on Saturday to make sure team cars didn't run each other. The two people IHRA sent were very nice. They handled membership services and t-shirt sales.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5733 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Beard:
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckT:
$300 for a tow that would take about 15 hours from here doesn't do much.

What? $300 would cover my fuel for the entire round trip from Columbus. I'm quite certain that no one would turn down $300 because "it doesn't do much" (which it demonstrably does). This post doesn't even sound like something you would say.

The round trip tow from KRP to 42 cost me about $135 in fuel, about 6 hours towing with an '18 2500 Ram and open trailer. You're correct, no one would turn down $300, but at least from this far north/northeast, on my budget, doesn't make fiscal sense. It would get me there, but I have to get back, and haven't stayed anywhere or eaten anything.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was hired by the host track, Dragway 42, a week before the event. I had no contact with IHRA

Sorry, my mistake I assumed the IHRA contacted you.

Posts: 1459 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Well I've kept my mouth shut long enough even though I'm just a chassis inspector now.
I worked tech for 13+ years for Ihra Starting when Bill Bader had it. And I can tell you that was the best of times.
I have a lot of respect and thoroughly enjoyed working with everyone at IHRA that quit.
As for the Bracket Finals in the later years all the positions were filled by the track operators/owners other than Race Director, Starter, Head and Rear of staging and of course administration.
All other positions including announcing were accomplished by the track.

I have spoken to Jeffers since he took over and was asked to continue as a chassis inspector, which I will do, and it was also hinted at my doing something else. Which I declined.

I have no inside information on what went on or what is currently happening other than he is attempting to fill positions. I can only hope IHRA can continue to go on and get better. So far it looks like the programs of the past few years will continue as they were. Nothing new has been discussed as far as I know.

Personally I would like to see TS, TD, and the Super Classes make a comeback although I can tell you those racers did not support IHRA in them even with a higher pay out than NHRA had. Stock and SS consider themselves as NHRA only and the participants were never there for IHRA.

There's some info and incite from my perspective take it for what it's worth. My perspective comes from working D4 and some D3 races.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3308 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sc4087
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:

Personally I would like to see TS, TD, and the Super Classes make a comeback although I can tell you those racers did not support IHRA in them even with a higher pay out than NHRA had. Stock and SS consider themselves as NHRA only and the participants were never there for IHRA.

Boy that's no lie. I never understood why 90 SC racers and 60 stockers would show up at an NHRA race for $1500 and not even half as many would show up at the IHRA racers I attended. Especially how the NHRA employees treated us compared to the IHRA guys.

Mike Greene

Posts: 509 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: March 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The Wally and the name is a big draw for a lot of folks.

Posts: 238 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: October 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sc4087:
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:

Boy that's no lie. I never understood why 90 SC racers and 60 stockers would show up at an NHRA race for $1500 and not even half as many would show up at the IHRA racers I attended. Especially how the NHRA employees treated us compared to the IHRA guys.

Both of you are absolutely right. Seems to me like IHRA tried much harder to work with us and like NHRA is always trying to run Racers, Sponsors and Spectators off.

I do not know of any problems in IHRA but rather surprised at how many have signed on to WDRA.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4009 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sc4087
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:

I do not know of any problems in IHRA but rather surprised at how many have signed on to WDRA.

I think most of the old IHRA employees went there and are probably responsible for getting the tracks to follow them.

Mike Greene

Posts: 509 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: March 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sc4087:
quote:

I think most of the old IHRA employees went there and are probably responsible for getting the tracks to follow them.

I had not heard that. The plot sickens.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4009 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sc4087:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Curly1:

I was told that they were under a non compete and that they could not talk about it. Not saying they could not be talking as friends to the tracks and the WDRA, but I would think they would be very careful of how they are perceived because it could put them in a position to be sued. I also was told that the former employees were consulting a lawyer.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3308 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
This looks like a good move by Jeffers, she has been working at XRP here in North TX, and has done a really good job in a lot of areas. And she is married to a good bracket racer.

The International Hot Rod Association is pleased to announce that Paige Hamlin has been named the IHRA Director of Track & Racer Relations.

Hamlin brings enthusiasm, experience, and a true passion for bracket racing into the new role. She has worked with some of the top promoters in the sport including Tommy Phillips, Luke Bogacki, Coalburg Promotions, Great American Bracket Races, and Final Call Promotions, and on major events such as the Great American Guaranteed Million, the World Footbrake Challenge, and the Million Dollar Race. She previously held a similar role with Drag Champ to help spotlight the Sportsman racer.

“Being a part of the IHRA at this level is exciting to me because we have so many new ideas to enhance the sport without changing all of the things we love, ideas to help give back to the racers who have been supporting the IHRA for so long,” Hamlin said. “In short, I feel like this is our time to produce a meaningful program for everyone involved. Let’s bring in some new blood to help compliment the current sponsors and supporters, and let’s take this sport to the next level.”

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Like I told Paige on FB, If I race IHRA at least I know who to complain to!! director of track and racer relations sounds like the complaint dept to me Big Grin
Dont get me wrong, Paige is awesome and i love her, very Knowledgeable and very qualified for the job

Posts: 2426 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post