DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    trailer floor covering
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

trailer floor covering
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Looking at some floor coverings and wondering what some of you have or have had and hated. Just short cutting bad choices if possible.
Rubber coin or diamond pattern are main ones looking at.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Nothing special but I re-did my trailer two years ago. It's a 28 that I bought in 1999. The first time around I had used vinyl tiles but found over the years that they got cracked and came loose. I had the front part of the trailer covered in indoor/outdoor carpet. This time around, I replaced the i/o carpet with new and stopped just at the rear of the wheel houses and used porch paint for the rest of it and the ramps. It works for me, it wasn't expensive and I am okay with the look. I have one boy that covered his in this interlocking heavy duty pad material that schools use for weight lifting areas and wrestling. It seems to hold up okay but it's black and to me makes the trailer dark inside. Not my favorite. My other boy has a two year unit that has the coin stuff factory installed. It's nice and is holding up okay although I have notice a few places "puckering" which I put to the cars possibly moving around on it a bit during transport. This too is black but the white metal walls tend to brighten it up plus he has decent lighting in it. My 3rd son has a new unit in the process of construction. I am not sure what it will be coming with but has a crew quarters up front so I expect part of it might be vinyl or carpeting.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
gray oil based porch paint. Been on mine for, gosh, 15 years? Throw something under the tires, the tires will leave black marks on the paint over time (it washes off with wd-40 if needed). On the ramp door, used the same paint but while it was wet, I tossed some sand into the paint for traction. Works great. Just don't kneel down on it while wearing shorts, it's not real comfortable.

cheap and effective.

typical rubber coin doesn't last very long and costs too much for no longer than it lasts. Vinyl tile cracks. Nautilex (made for boats) can be pretty nice and lasts a long time but it is real expensive. I've seen rhino-lined floors as well, I'm not a fan. I like functionality and it is priority over aesthetics.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I’ve done carpet, paint, and rubber coin. I hated all of them. My Rubber coin is non trailer stuff and it shrunk and balled up. The paint was slick. All my stuff leaks so the carpet was just gross. I’d like to try diamond plate but $$$$$. Everybody else’s rubber coin always looks really nice, but I don’t see how I could ever have that and not tear it up even if it was trailer grade.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
I’ve done carpet, paint, and rubber coin. I hated all of them. My Rubber coin is non trailer stuff and it shrunk and balled up. The paint was slick. All my stuff leaks so the carpet was just gross. I’d like to try diamond plate but $$$$$. Everybody else’s rubber coin always looks really nice, but I don’t see how I could ever have that and not tear it up even if it was trailer grade.

Diamond plate might add weight and like you said dollars. The secret to the paint in my experience is to use a gloss that is easy to clean, and add the traction sand. It will need redone every 5 years or so to keep looking decent. Now this last time I went to Sherwin Williams, my go to for paints.....and this was the first time I had non adherence issues in places. But over the years I have had decent luck with paint. I have admired coin and aluminum flooring but never have had it.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6367 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
in order from broke dyck to baller...

1. paint
2. linoleum
3. diamond plate
4. rubber coin

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
My trailer has light grey carpet (I bought it that way), and it needs to be replaced so this is an interesting subject.

I'm considering replacing the carpet, diamond plate is out of the question, not just the cost but the added weight. A light colored paint (better reflection) suggestion is sounding better, lighter weight, far less expensive than the carpet and easier to touch up.

Posts: 3075 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I put Grey rubber coin in mine. Texas heat and it has big wrinkles in it where sun hits it but they go away when cooled, I have .090 aluminum tread plate where door car tires sit but with the dragster the front tires sit on the coin flooring and it has turned black where the tires move around.
It stains and is hard or impossible to get them off.
I did not glue mine down as I figured at some time I may have to replace.
I had a screw from the floor back out causing a tent in the middle of the floor so side trim, aluminum and tie downs had to come out to fix that so good thing I didn't glue it down.

My opinion, I will go with black when I replace it.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3303 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Missed one Ed. #5 and elite is extruded aluminum

quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

1. paint
2. linoleum
3. diamond plate
4. rubber coin

Posts: 146 | Location: Left of Center | Registered: February 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I redid a trailer a few years ago. I used the small rubber coin. Total cost of materials about $1k to do a 28’ trailer.

New trailer has rubber but with a diamond pattern and I’ve found it to be much harder to keep clean.

Posts: 59 | Location: D3 | Registered: May 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln:
Missed one Ed. #5 and elite is extruded aluminum

quote:

1. paint
2. linoleum
3. diamond plate
4. rubber coin

actually I didn't, extruded aluminum is the floor not "floor covering" Wink and it's the floor in my trailer. Big Grin

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
Mine is painted. We’re not racing trailers.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
My new/ordered trailer has the rubber coin flooring. The only concern is it seems to come loose or bunch up where the vehicles tires sit on the flooring. I'm going to look into installing diamond plate squares where the tires sit over the flooring. Has anyone done this?

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2501 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
a long time ago

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
ED,

How was the diamond plate fastened to the sub flooring; screwed to the the sub flooring or fastened thru?

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2501 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
screwed. This was done by Classic trailer in 2005 and it was the first time they installed aluminum tread plate aka ATP over rubber coin floor. Neither the coin floor nor the tread plate ever came up.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
screwed. This was done by Classic trailer in 2005 and it was the first time they installed aluminum tread plate aka ATP over rubber coin floor. Neither the coin floor nor the tread plate ever came up.

Thanks!

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
Picture of speedwrench44
posted Hide Post
Spray on bed liner with non skid. Foot up the walls. Just wash it out with a water hose

Dave

Posts: 260 | Location: Heldnfelt, Texas | Registered: December 10, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I put grey coin flooring in my trailer this spring, bought it on Amazon, its held up ok, we also replaced all the plywood flooring, I should have taken more time sanded the seems, it would have looked nicer, but so far, all good.

Posts: 62 | Location: south carolina | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speedwrench44:
Spray on bed liner with non skid. Foot up the walls. Just wash it out with a water hose

I could see that or epoxy's being the ticket. Not cheap for that amount of liner I suppose.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6367 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post