DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Cost of fuel vs I'm done.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cost of fuel vs I'm done.
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
At what price point must fuel be before you park or sell your ride? Even though the cost of gas is not out of my price range, yet, at what price do you say that's it I'm done?

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I would say that's a moving number based on individual finances and one's tolerance for going broke. Rather than simply being a mechanism for abandoning one's hobby I would hope the masses would take up their responsibility to their nation. Look to California for peoples willingness to absorb exorbitant cost.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2322 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I might not travel but local track is 7mi. from my driveway which is why I have a drag car.

Posts: 1447 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My tolerance for going broke is $5.00 a gallon. MY closest track is Orlando Speed World, a distance of 119 miles, one way. My cost to fill up the tank on my truck is around $100+, give or take. It will take the entire tank up and back, assuming no side trip. Between fuel, race car fuel, entry fee for me and helper, food/drink I can easily drop $250 on a t&t night or $300/400+ for a bracket race. MINIMUM. The cost FOR ME is getting to a breaking point. I have the$$$ to afford it, BUT, I won't.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Well last month i spent $2200 in fuel alone in just one service truck with the business. And it is getting worse. All the trucks are diesel. Not in business for a hobby. The *** is parked on the racing end and will stay that way until a later date. I am not going to feed the thief's more than absolutely necessary.. I know a couple O/O;s that
Just hung it up recently. DONE.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maliciousintent:
My tolerance for going broke is $5.00 a gallon. MY closest track is Orlando Speed World, a distance of 119 miles, one way. My cost to fill up the tank on my truck is around $100+, give or take. It will take the entire tank up and back, assuming no side trip. Between fuel, race car fuel, entry fee for me and helper, food/drink I can easily drop $250 on a t&t night or $300/400+ for a bracket race. MINIMUM. The cost FOR ME is getting to a breaking point. I have the$$$ to afford it, BUT, I won't.

We travel the same distance 120 miles to the nicest facility, best run, best track surface in Florida. With the best food in the concession stand.

God fearing people run the joint - Americana

It's like going back in time racing in Orlando - American.

It's worth the ride.

Don't relent to the leftist jack boot on your neck (gas prices).

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
My tolerance for going broke is $5.00 a gallon.

I remember when coke's when up to 50 cents in vending machines. That was it for me, well at least for a while Wink

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2322 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I won't quit or sell, but I have come to terms with the fact that I will be at best footbrake racing locally once the price of Diesel goes above $6.00

I don't think Big Money racing will suffer as much as everyone things from fuel costs, because many of those guys travel 1-2 times per month and race 3-4 days.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The gas prices are the leftist jack boot on your neck to make you wanna relent.

Never relent practicing freedom.

You're free to relent, but that's what they want.

Activity practicing freedom keeps you alive & young. That's not what they want.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
6.49 through California, Nevada , 5.75, Idaho 5.23 best we’ve seen @Firebird Boise.
603 miles one way so you do the math.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4461 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
They want raceless in California ... For Florida.

Don't give em what they want.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i am close to the breaking point for me. i will race local because there are a bunch of tracks within a hour or so.

ep- i have to go to indy so i am squirreling back gas money now.

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
A while back some posters on this forum said "the price of fuel won't change anything.." or "X number of entries at this race, doesn't seem to make a difference!" Funny how once they stay up a while people tend to think differently!

Most racers "can" afford it, but some are overleveraged on a good day.

Posts: 286 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
I'm not happy about it, but can afford it and will continue to race and continue to drive my SUV's. I know it pisses off Brandon and his supporters, but that makes me happy.

#FJB
#LetsGoBrandon

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike Rietow:
It's plain to see agenda 21, they wanna put you in an automaton electric car after they aquire all your assets.

You may as well do it while you can.

If you relent so close to the end of the line for it all, you'll regret it when it's over.

The only chance any of this turns around, is if people wise up.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You may as well enjoy the residual Americana (culture) while you can.

If you quit now you'll regret it.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I’m over $3000 so far this year in fuel cost..

Posts: 1247 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mike, I have no intention of quitting, may cut back on the frequency and distance. Your correct about Orlando Speed World. I do have one advantage you do not enjoy, I don't have to drive the I-4 mess to get there. I am 2 miles from I-95 so I don't have to fight traffic i.e. Tampa, Lakeland, Orlando, the high tolls etc. So I guess I should not complain. Big Grin

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maliciousintent:
Mike, I have no intention of quitting, may cut back on the frequency and distance. Your correct about Orlando Speed World. I do have one advantage you do not enjoy, I don't have to drive the I-4 mess to get there. I am 2 miles from I-95 so I don't have to fight traffic i.e. Tampa, Lakeland, Orlando, the high tolls etc. So I guess I should not complain. Big Grin

There you go, yeah it's Crème de la crème Orlando Speed World.

Can't let them down this year, no way in hell that's gonna happen!

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have spent a lot of money on my cars and I do not include that but I expect to make money average overall for my racing. For last 10 years probably won more than it costs me for fuel, Entry, alcohol, food, parts and maintenance. No where near enough to pay for cost to build car but enough to have fun.

One of the things here is not only has the cost to get there went WAY up the car count and payout has went down to at same time and for same reason. Fuel costs. At some point we will all have to make hard, uncomfortable choices.

I am not going to say I am done I am not but I am more careful what, when and where I race now.

Biden said "I want to put the Fuel, Gas and Oil Industries out of business" And yet people still voted for him.
Those who voted for him have no right to complain he is doing EXACTLY what he said he would. And it is going to get WORSE. Much Worse.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3961 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post