DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Did I tell my friend the wrong thing?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did I tell my friend the wrong thing?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
A friend is looking at a 1965 Impala. He said it was a 396 Super Sport and the guy wanted $7,500.00.

As he was showing me a couple of pictures of the car I noticed it had a bench seat and a column shift. I told him that as far as I know all SS model cars had buckets and a floor shift. I think this is just a nice old 2 door that someone put SS trim on.

I know you can decode the VIN but I don't have the it and that kind of stuff is foreign to him.
Do any of you guys know if they made any SS cars without buckets and a floor shift?

Posts: 399 | Location: a race track near you | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of wvdragracer
posted Hide Post
Anything is possible in 1965 as the owner/buyer could pretty much order the car any way he wanted.
I have a friend with a 70 SS Chevelle 454 LS6 that is bench Seat, Column shift as that's the way the original buyer ordered it. When it came in on the delivery truck they mashed the quarter panel while unloading and the guy who ordered it refused to take it. The friend of mine bought it after the dealership repaired it, and has owned it ever since.

Posts: 19 | Location: Mannington WV | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
To reinforce WV's assertions, there was ONE '67 Ford Country Squire station wagon with a 428 and a 4-speed. The only wagon built that year with a 4-speed and was signed off by Lee Iacocca.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2330 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I think that wasn't all that uncommon....the trim tag is easiest to decode for seat and trim options.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1607 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/index.php
Maybe ask over here or another forum that concentrates on those year cars. Too many variables back then, you could order each option line by line, no set packages. There's even stories from back then where someone ordered something that wasn't supposed to be ordered and the factory would assemble it.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Nova's and Chevelle's could be ordered as SS models with bench seat/column shifter, but ALL Impala Super Sports 1961-69 had bucket seats with floor shifters.

I own a 65 Impala, white with red interior, 2DR sport coupe, bench seat/column shifter. They are beautiful cars.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Ed Swearingen
posted Hide Post
Old SlyFox is rarely wrong about anything, but I have to disagree about the SS Impala. I ordered one from my uncle's dealership, a '67 model, when they came out in September of '66. I ordered bench seats with a column shifter and a three-speed 350 transmission. Most came with Powerglides and my uncommon order caused the car not to be produced until December. My uncle said I could have gotten it sooner if I had ordered one like "everybody else". It had a 327 and was a great car. I drove it for three years.

Posts: 27 | Location: Reynolds, GA | Registered: March 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Smile In that case I defer to Ed - he is smarter than me - and older!

Mike