DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    In need of some new M/T's
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In need of some new M/T's
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I was just in Tucson for the open and divisional. Was hoping to get new tires there but no Mickey truck. So anyone have any good contacts so we can get some soon, like preferably before the weekend? I messaged MikeJ f but not sure he uses FB much and don't have any other contact info. Any help is appreciated.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 985 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Either Chris Barker in KY, or Mc Cormack racing tires in MI. Price is shipped no tax from either.

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Charlie Allen
posted Hide Post
Order from Summit.........be at your door in 24 hours. I have been buying my tires from them for years, no issues at all.

"Mourning the loss of Auto Club Dragway in Fontana"............RIP

Posts: 532 | Location: Sunny SoCal | Registered: March 07, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie Allen:
Order from Summit.........be at your door in 24 hours. I have been buying my tires from them for years, no issues at all.

Last two times I tried that I had to send the tires back because the rollout was not even close

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 985 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I second Chris Barker @ Barker Trailer Sales in KY.
Tires are always dead on roll out & shipped fast.
Been buying from him for years never an issue.

Steve Cuthbertson
Windy Ridge Christmas Trees

Posts: 3 | Location: @ The Christmas Tree | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
You can buy direct from MT just not sure where you live if they would reach you in time from Ohio.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Keith Richards 768Q
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie Allen:

Last two times I tried that I had to send the tires back because the rollout was not even close

I just did that to thinking I would try the 32-14-15 PBR's and date code was 2-1/2 years old!

Posts: 239 | Location: Windsor, CA. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I just talked to Chris Barker and can get them fast and get them cheaper than Jegs or Summit. He says roll out will be matched exactly.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
I just talked to Chris Barker and can get them fast and get them cheaper than Jegs or Summit. He says roll out will be matched exactly.

JEGS mounts every slick and marks exact the rollout on every tire they sell. When they go out they're all within 1/4 inch.

If you're a racer, it's easy to get on the racer discount program with JEGS.

As easy as mentioning, I believe.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

JEGS mounts every slick and marks exact the rollout on every tire they sell. When they go out they're all within 1/4 inch.

NOT TRUE.....

Last set of M/T's I bought from Jeg's were badly mismatched. Sent one back and had to get on the phone to get a decent match size and date code wise.

The racers discount program seems to have faded at both Summit and Jeg's…...Its not what it used to be with either of them

Prices are high and discounts are not there.

I built a new engine in the last few months and bought a lot of parts for my car.....

I would not buy slicks from them again...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

NOT TRUE.....

Last set of M/T's I bought from Jeg's were badly mismatched. Sent one back and had to get on the phone to get a decent match size and date code wise.

The racers discount program seems to have faded at both Summit and Jeg's…...Its not what it used to be with either of them

Prices are high and discounts are not there.

I built a new engine in the last few months and bought a lot of parts for my car.....

I would not buy slicks from them again...

You could be right, I suppose. I made that post under the assumption they found mounting, marking and matching slicks was the only way to go.

It was the program they were on when we were racing every Friday night. I bought all my tires from JEGS because of it.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Chris Barker is very good to order from. His prices on my last set in July 2019 of MT were slightly better than both mail order big chains.

My tires came direct from MT / Indiana and one was dated 6-2019 and the other was 6-2018. The older one was all dusty / dirty from sitting who knows where. Explained this to Chris with some photos and a new/ same RO and dated tire was shipped the same day. Fedex picked up the older tire for return.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Chris Barker all the way for us.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Here’s my take. JEGS absolutely does not mount tires and match them. They try to send you a pair that’s close with the chalk that MT writes on them, but that can vary widely.

My first set of new MT tires I mounted up and ran without ever measuring because I didn’t know better at the time. The car would pull either to the right or left depending on what side the bigger tires was on, but only driving through the pits, it went perfectly straight down the track. When I measured them they were 3/4” different and when I found that out I tried stretching the smaller tire and nothing I did helped the rollout difference.

Fast forward to my last set of MTs ordered from JEGS. I mounted and measured them and they were 1 1/4” different in rollout. Now this is the part where you might not believe me because I wouldn’t believe it myself if I didn’t personally do it. I read in here that it’s possible to actually shrink the larger tire so that’s what I did.

I put 15-20# in the smaller tire and dropped the larger one to about 1#. Set them in the sun for 20 minutes then deflated both completely and reset to operating pressure and measured them. They were then about a half inch different and the larger tire moved more than the smaller tire. Back to 15# and 1# and back in the sun for another 20 mins. After that they were pretty much dead nuts the same. Put everything away for the night, checked in the morning and they were 1/4” different. One more shot in the sun, got them the same, and immediately put them on the car and went up and made a hit. Came back and measured them and they were 1/8” different which is where they’ve stayed for 2 years.

So the moral of the story is even if the rollout is quite different they can be manipulated to get the numbers you want. BUT once the tires get a heat cycle from a burnout and a run they “set” and stretching or shrinking them is no longer effective. So get ‘em close make a run and you should be good.

I’m in the same boat right now, I need 2 sets of 3183 for my and my wife’s car. This thread is topical since I just checked prices last night, from JEGS 2 pairs shipped to NY with tax and their current $100 off code are $1370.09. Will give Barker a call later today and see what his price is.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
Fast forward to my last set of MTs ordered from JEGS. I mounted and measured them and they were 1 1/4” different in rollout. Now this is the part where you might not believe me because I wouldn’t believe it myself if I didn’t personally do it. I read in here that it’s possible to actually shrink the larger tire so that’s what I did.

I put 15-20# in the smaller tire and dropped the larger one to about 1#. Set them in the sun for 20 minutes then deflated both completely and reset to operating pressure and measured them. They were then about a half inch different and the larger tire moved more than the smaller tire. Back to 15# and 1# and back in the sun for another 20 mins. After that they were pretty much dead nuts the same. Put everything away for the night, checked in the morning and they were 1/4” different. One more shot in the sun, got them the same, and immediately put them on the car and went up and made a hit. Came back and measured them and they were 1/8” different which is where they’ve stayed for 2 years.

So the moral of the story is even if the rollout is quite different they can be manipulated to get the numbers you want. BUT once the tires get a heat cycle from a burnout and a run they “set” and stretching or shrinking them is no longer effective. So get ‘em close make a run and you should be good.

This is great advice and I saved this the first time you or another posted this here.

The problem I have with this living in the upper Midwest, when the sun isn’t shining or its not May – Sept, you’d be hard pressed to get some heat in these tires to accomplish this tire contraction.

I was thinking one might possibly put the larger tire in a cardboard box and run the exhaust from a car into the box to create the needed heat.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
Im also another satisfied Chris barker customer. always matching, fresh tires, and shipped when promised! Not worthy

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I tried the tire stretch thing and didn't work. It took close to 3 hours in the sun and 80 degrees to get them close. I left them set for about 6 hrs at normal pressure and they were good.I couldn't run them until the next day. Well it shrunk back down and I didn't check it before the 1st pass and then it was too late. It may work if you can stretch them at the track so you can do an immediate burnout.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I figured I'd bump this thread with my experience. Did some shopping around found that dragracecarparts.co had the best price on 3183 MT shipped to my door. They were about $10/tire cheaper than Barker and appeared to ship from Summit. I got four of them, all built week 47 or 50 of last year. Two have 107 written on them, one is 107 1/4 other is 107 1/2 so we'll see how they measure up when mounted.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Lucky Scott Hudson
posted Hide Post
Bought a pair from Chris Barker and I could not be more pleased. He had a great price, but most of all his customer service is excellent. Very easy to deal with.
He even told me about a special deal Mickey Thompson was doing and helped me get a $50.00 rebate.
I will always order my slicks from Chris and the next time Im in the market for a trailer I will talk to him first.

Posts: 1199 | Location: So Cal | Registered: March 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I would buy many things from Jegs or Summit but tires would not be one of them..

Been using Chris Barker for years and always happy with his price and service....

Posts: 265 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post