DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    In need of some new M/T's
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In need of some new M/T's
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
I tried the tire stretch thing and didn't work. It took close to 3 hours in the sun and 80 degrees to get them close. I left them set for about 6 hrs at normal pressure and they were good.I couldn't run them until the next day. Well it shrunk back down and I didn't check it before the 1st pass and then it was too late. It may work if you can stretch them at the track so you can do an immediate burnout.

shrinking works lot better than stretching does. After years of trying the stretch thing I had someone tell me to shrink them. Basically take biggest one drop pressure to 2lbs or less and heat it some,then let cool. I Used a forced induction heater and rotated tire every cpl minutes to heay soak it. Let cool and tires went from 3/4" difference to under 1/4",

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
Call MT in SoCal:
Mike Judson
9363 Lucas Ranch rd.
Rancho Cucamonga, 91730
(330) 696-6550

mjudson@mickeythompsontires.com

Posts: 415 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Tires were taken care of two months ago, days before the shutdown. Ugh.....

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Just info for people looking - In order to stretch a tire it must be done prior to the first burnout. Heat will set the tire. Most people who mount on a regular basis are aware of this.

You should always try to measure your rollout on both tires before your first burnout. We will even adjust pressure on first run to make them the same if needed.

SL...

Posts: 2109 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
I got a pair of 3080's both marked 105 1/2. Mounted them and one was 105 1/4 the other 106. I had the OK to return them and decided to try the stretch option again since I wouldn't be out anything if it didn't work. I put 40psi in the small one and let it set for 12 hours. I deflated it and waited a few hours and set to operating pressure and checked it.105 3/4 so back to 40psi for another 6 hours. Deflate let set over night set tires to operating pressure and they are exactly the same size. 4days later still the same so thinking they may be good. Really aggravating they can't make 2 tires the same size to start with.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
I tried the tire stretch thing and didn't work. It took close to 3 hours in the sun and 80 degrees to get them close. I left them set for about 6 hrs at normal pressure and they were good.I couldn't run them until the next day. Well it shrunk back down and I didn't check it before the 1st pass and then it was too late. It may work if you can stretch them at the track so you can do an immediate burnout.

shrinking works lot better than stretching does. After years of trying the stretch thing I had someone tell me to shrink them. Basically take biggest one drop pressure to 2lbs or less and heat it some,then let cool. I Used a forced induction heater and rotated tire every cpl minutes to heay soak it. Let cool and tires went from 3/4" difference to under 1/4",

I will have to try that next time.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Since I'm here in Rancho Cucamonga I just get them direct from MT and they mount them on the spot. I had one a couple of years ago that started to split and they replaced both of them.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a set from JB Strassweg (Dragstersforsale.com) . we have had about 9-10 sets of M/T slicks over the years . I usually run them 2 seasons ) ..I've had then close and have had them as bad as 1-3/4" different , even though the crayon rollout numbers matched ... the set I just got from JB , which only took 2 days to get to me , were only out 1/32" ... yes thats right I measured them 3 times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.. 1/32" ....... and it was the best price I found.

Posts: 784 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul S/Q:
I just ordered a set from JB Strassweg (Dragstersforsale.com) . we have had about 9-10 sets of M/T slicks over the years . I usually run them 2 seasons ) ..I've had then close and have had them as bad as 1-3/4" different , even though the crayon rollout numbers matched ... the set I just got from JB , which only took 2 days to get to me , were only out 1/32" ... yes thats right I measured them 3 times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.. 1/32" ....... and it was the best price I found.

To what do you attribute the close rollout?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul S/Q:

Pure luck unless the guy he buys from actually mounts them and measures them before shipping. Same marking from mickey doesn't mean much.

DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
[QUOTE]

just the luck of the draw this time .... I will say this though , its not as important as to who you get them from.. BUT it IS important to remember who you got your terribly mismatched tires and how they handled the situation for you .. did they go to bat for you or did they tell you tough S..T
thats whats important to me .......

Posts: 784 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post