Find
Notify
Tools

Garage Exhaust fan
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted
I may have asked this before but i have a 1100 sqft garage with 13’ ceilings.. it gets stupid hot and humid in there. Wife parks in there so i cant keep it closed all the time. Idk if giant shops fans are the answer. Anyone have experience installing a garage whole house fan or an exhaust fan in their shop? Tried just a plain dehumidifier and went from 55 to 38 overnight but didnt feel a whole lot better. Window ac unit wouldnt be big enough i dont think. Home Depothas a quietcool deal for $450.....? Any ideas

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have one in mine and it helps some , Works better if I close the doors to about 6 inches off the floor . It works good to remove the alky fumes also.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
A attick fan with back draft damper works. A decent size window unit will cool it. Our old shop was just under 1000 sq ft, had a open up stairs and we cooled it pretty good with a window unit. Heck I like icicles hanging from ceiling.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I bought a louvered exhaust fan on Amazon for like $150.00. I turn it on manually to remove fumes or heat when working in there but since the louvers open automatically when you turn it on, you could put it on a timer so it kicks on a few times a day automatically. I leave a dehumidifier running in the garage all the time though. That's the problem with a well insulated garage - no air movement at all.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Rymo,

I have installed two of the Homedepot louvered fans in my last two shops. For your shop, you could put one in the ceiling and vent it through the attic. You will want to open the rollup door a couple of inches and turn the fan on. This will suck cool air in and exhaust the heat out. It will suck in dust and the such, so you may want to do a screen door or window with a screen.

The other option that I just did in the new shop is mini splits. The heat and cool. I put three 3 ton units in my 4000 sq ft shop and I keep it 74 in the summer and 50 in the winter. The electric bill is only $100 a month. Just a thought.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I've got ceiling fans but it's still hot and humid. Problem I have is dust and dirt, rural area with a lot of dirt so you suck dirt into your shop.
Best deal I've seen is a friend took the old heat pump from his house and used just the AC for his shop.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
I already have a decent heater in the garage. Id seen the garage attic fan that home depot sells and figured does that work better than an exhaust fan? My garage is attached to the house with no firewall, shares the same attic but its quite large so im afraid if i go the whole house fan approach itll change the house temp? since id be venting into the attic but since the ridge vents arent made for this type of flow do i need a gable fan as well? $600 vs a decent louvered exhaust fan $150 2x6 wall construction and insulated makes the garage very tight and hot!!

Ryan Fasano

Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
Ceiling fans are a waste imo since ur just circulating hot air, i get why having them helps but i want help solve the real issue

Ryan Fasano

DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
You could use a wall mounted exhaust fan on one side and mount a backdraft damper/louver on the other as they work well. Or you could get a PTAC unit like they use in hotels,or even better you could splurge for a mini split a/c unit. One of my buddies has a mini split mounted in his enclosed trailer. Cools like a champ.

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
1000sq ft of my garage has a 10ft ceiling and is pretty well insulated but a window unit keeps it cool in the summer and a wall mounted propane heater keeps it warm in the winter. Electric door gets you in and out quick so you don't lose any heat or a/c to amount to anything. If I had your mess I would think about lowering the ceiling.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post