DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Breaking the rules!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breaking the rules!!!
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Hello all.
Just food for thought!
Since the 14 year old won the big one.
There has been a lot of talk about breaking the rules. Driving with out the proper License, out of date trans case or shields, out of date flex plate, out of date seat belts, no roll bar padding. Not wearing your neck collar or gloves.
Not putting up your window net, or wearing your driving pants, because it's just to hot. These are all rules that are there to protect us. I'm not going to say I agree with them all, but they are the rules most of us in the faster classes have to follow. Heck seat belt every 2 years, give me a break! Have I broken any of these rules, Maybe, maybe not. Have you broken any of these rules? That is your choice.

How ever, in regards to the 14 year old racing on the big stage. It is my opinion that the parents, the track owner, and the promoter all made a mistake. First the rule is 16 years old to drive a big car. The parents should of followed the rules just like many other parents have followed the rules for years. The track owner should have point blank said no way. And the promoter should have never asked in the first place.

The ramification from this happening could possibly hurt our hobby/sport in the long run. I'm sure the insurance company's have heard about this by now. And the _HRA's are sure to be hot on this subject.

Jr dragster parents are probably saying to H_ll with this, I'm getting a real dragster for my kid!!! I know plenty of parents that can afford to do it.

Yes the kid can drive, (that is not the point)
I heard he just won again last weekend somewhere. But that is not what the problem is here. Break this rule now, break that rule later, where do you draw the line in the sand?

The rule is and always has been 16 years old.
Is he the 1st to do it, H_ll no.
If parents want to change the rules Lobby the _HRA's and see if you can change the rules.

Just my 2 cents worth
Calvin S/ST 1177

Posts: 46 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: November 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Love the laundry list of rules you list in paragraph one. Tech inspection should be under every car every time looking at that flex plate and trans shield, and EVERY thing else! Are they going to? No. As time goes on rules, just like laws, pile up with plenty new ones and none of the old ones getting removed. I'm sure if you looked you can find where it's against the law to spit chewing tobacco on the sidewalk. Hardly any of us can go a day without breaking the law. Made an improper left turn lately? Bottom line, some rules are going to get enforced others aren't. And of course those "connected" are going to be shown favors as well.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the mentality that says "Tech inspection will keep me safe." or "Tech inspection will tell me what the rules are."
That's our responsibility. No I don't completely trust that others follow the rules. But when some just let the middle finger fly and make it known that they will follow their own book of rules....it's arrogance, ignorance and a touch of entitlement. All the good stuff.

Plus, what rules are you talking about that don't need enforced? We can all point to the recert rules. But we all know folks who would run crusty belts that sat out all winter for the last 4 years too. We can line item challenge every rule we don't like. Or we can show up ready, and legal to race.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
As for as the big money races are concerned I just want All the rules on the d a m n flyer so I know what I’m fixin to drop 5g’s on...OH an yes if the promoter is putting in house cars have the BALLS to put that on the flyer to...

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
house cars on the flier!! now that's funny

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
But we all know folks who would run crusty belts that sat out all winter for the last 4 years too.

Ah, long live the nanny state. You're too stupid to know what's good for you, we know better so we'll make the decisions and if you don't follow OUR rules we will punish you. No room for personal freedom here.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:
But we all know folks who would run crusty belts that sat out all winter for the last 4 years too.

Ah, long live the nanny state. You're too stupid to know what's good for you, we know better so we'll make the decisions and if you don't follow OUR rules we will punish you. No room for personal freedom here.

Lack of proper safety gear is personal freedom? Laughing Hard

Is this bracket talk or a grudge racing site?

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 741 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My Two Cents, being indirectly involved in the insurance business for nearly 40 years. I can tell you for a fact the insurance companies love to deny claims. If the 14 year was involved in an incident on the track whether he was at fault or not and there was an injury or worse. I guaranty the claim would be denied. It would leave the track owner with the liability exposure. Tech or not a 14 year old can not drive legally on or off the track...period. If I were the track owner I would re-think allowing the young man to race.

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I thought that there is provision in the NHRA Rule book that stated all competitors are required to have a valid State Drivers License, or has that been rescinded ?

I believe that Larry is correct, if a competitor is underage, not in possession of a valid State Drivers License and is involved in an accident where someone is injured the Track can (or should ) be held liable since they didn't require him to produce the license, and furthermore allowed him/her to compete.

So at what age is the "Cutoff", not to sound like a S-A can it be as young as say 5 or 6, or what? Where is the Common Sense here? Try to sue a minor after he wrecks your car and injures you and see how that works out for you, what do you settle for, his School lunch money?

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever figure out who exactly lied or broke the rules?

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Mitchell:
house cars on the flier!! now that's funny
Thats what I thought.....lol....line um up an race...

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Promoters are dropping the house cars to avoid conflict...seems like a good idea.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
Promoters are dropping the house cars to avoid conflict...seems like a good idea.
X2

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:

That is easy...The Parents 100%

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm late to the party here but the only reason this kid isn't suspended/fined already is because it was a busy weekend for NHRA..
NHRA would never miss a chance to ***** slap someone down and this cheat is a whopper...it's coming for sure.
The entire team (Mom&Dad) might get the boot also..
Anyway, my 6 sets of 2yr and 1day old belts, various trans shields, 4 flexplates and 3 helmets think that way.. Big Grin

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Scarth:Tech a 14 year old can not drive legally on or off the track...period.

The insurance company may very well have denied the claim, but I'm not sure if its a legal issue - The law says you have to have a license to operate a motor vehicle on public highways, but this was private property. Not saying it was a good idea, but I don't think the statement "legally" is accurate.

Personally, I think its common sense that rules that potentially affect another racer should be more rigidly enforced - letting anybody race with no oversight is a little scarier to me than not bouncing everyone who isn't wearing the correct thickness firepants. If you want to race with old seatbelts, that doesn't directly affect me. If you race your car without an engine diaper and gather me up while skating in your own oil, that is a different story. I'd have no problem racing against THIS kid and wouldn't care if the _HRA's came out with some kind of stringent licensing exception for kids with a lot of jr experience but don't have a lot of faith in the human race as a whole so I'm not comfortable with people picking & choosing which rules they want to follow and that includes letting just anybody who thinks their kid is special sticking their kid in a car at their own discretion.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BD104X,

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hotrod Corvette:
quote:

I'd say the 14yo lied too since his signature is on a tech card somewhere. So no one at the track, running the track or promoting the race knew? Hard to believe.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hotrod Corvette:
quote:

I'd say the 14yo lied too since his signature is on a tech card somewhere. So no one at the track, running the track or promoting the race knew? Hard to believe, I'd say by 4th round everyone there knew.

DRR Trophy
Picture of PineApple Express Racing
posted Hide Post
Everyone says THAT 14 year old was lying as he signed the tech card. Since WHEN a 14 year old reads the ENTIRE card INCLUDING the fine print. Half of the adult racers DON'T read the entire tech card as they need their glasses which are either in the motor home or trailer. OR their refusal to admit they NEED glasses. AND the other half forget to sign it in the first place and begs everyone for a pen during tech...

Chuck
PAE

Posts: 113 | Location: Las Vegas USA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Well since he is not by some people's standards a illegal driver. We should refer to him as a undocumented racer. The track has a responsibility to verify his driver's license, they verify mine everytime I get teched, obviously to see if its expired.

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post